Barnsley Gloucestershire Family History Guide

Barnsley is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire.

Alternative names: Barnesley

Parish church: St. Mary.

Parish registers begin: 1574

Nonconformists include:

Parishes adjacent to Barnsley

Historical Descriptions

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

BARNSLEY, a parish in Cirencester district, Gloucester; near the river Colne, 4 miles NE of Cirencester r. station. It has a post office under Cirencester. Acres, 2,090. Real property, £1,852. Pop., 327. Houses, 64. The chief property belongs to Sir W. Musgrave, Bart. The manor belonged formerly to the Perrots and the Bourchiers; and the old mansion of the latter still stands. Barnsley Park, the seat of the present proprietor, is extensive; and the mansion is in the Italian style, and contains some frescoes and antiques. Freestone is quarried. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £320. Patron, Sir W. Musgrave, Bart. The church is transition Norman, and was recently restored. Charities, £15.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850

Barnsley, 4 miles E. Cirencester. P. 305

Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850

The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851

Barnsley, a parish in the hund. of Brightwell's Barrow, union of Cirencester, county of Gloucester; 4 miles east-north-east of Cirencester. Living, a rectory in the dio. of Gloucester and Bristol, within the peculiar jurisdiction of the vicar of Bibury; valued at £13 15s. 5d.; and in 1829, in the patronage of the Misses Perrot. There are a Sunday and two daily schools here, and a Roman Catholic chapel. There are several small charities in this parish producing about £18 annually. Pop., in 1821, 271 ; in 1831, 318. Houses 70. Acres 2,050. A. P. £2,578. Poor rates, in 1837, £169

Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.

Poll Books

Barnsley Poll Book 1834 - Google Books

Directories

Barnesley Kellys Gloucestershire Directory 1863

Barnesley is a village and parish, in Brightwells Barrow hundred, eastern electoral division of the county, Cirencester union and county court district, rural deanery of Fairford, archdeaconry of Bristol, and diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, with a population in 1861 of 327, and an extent of 2,090 acres; it is situated on the turnpike road between Cirencester and Oxford through Burford, distant from Cirencester 4 miles north-east, 7 north-west from Fairford, and 13 from Burford. The church, said to have been dedicated in honour of the Blessed Virgin Mary, is an ancient stone building, the earliest parts of it in the transition Norman style; it has been restored throughout; it has a nave, chancel and vestry, north aisle, and a tower with 3 bells. The living is a rectory, annual value £320, with residence, in the gift of the Rev. Sir William Augustus Musgrave, Bart., M.A., and held by the Rev. George Ernest Howman, M.A. The soil is loam and clay; the subsoil, oolite. The Rev. Sir W. A. Musgrave, Bart., M.A., is lord of the manor and principal landowner.

Poult Moor Farm lies 1 mile east; Bibury, 3 miles north-east; and Ready Token, 2 south-east.

Parish Clerk, William Weaver.

Hatherall Mr. Abraham

Howman Rev. George Ernest, M.A

Habgood Thomas, Greyhound, & farmer & maltster

Miles Edmund, blacksmith

Norris William, shopkeeper

Radway George, farmer

Turk Charles, farmer

Weaver William, tailor

Whitehead William, wheelwright

Widdowson Joseph, shopkeeper

Williams Charles, shoemaker

Post Office.— William Weaver, receiver. Letters arc received from Cirencester at 10 a.m.; dispatched at 5 p.m. The nearest money order office is at Cirencester.

Parish School, Elizabeth Hunt, mistress.

Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire, Herefordshire, Shropshire and the City of Bristol, Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1863.

Barnesley Gloucestershire Directory 1856

Barnesley is a township, village, and parish of Brightwell, Barrow Hundred, Eastern Electoral division of the county, and Cirencester Union, with a population, in 1851, of 322, and an extent of 2,090 acres. It is situate on the turnpike road between Cirencester and Oxford through Burford, distant from Cirencester 4 miles north-east, 7 north-west from Fairford, and 13 from Burford; it is in the archdeaconry of Bristol, and the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. The living is a rectory, in the gift of Sir James Musgrave, Bart.; the Rev. G. Ernest Howman, M.A., is the present incumbent. The church, said to be dedicated in honour of the Blessed Virgin Mary, is an ancient stone building, the earliest parts of it in the transition Norman style; it has  been lately restored throughout. It has a nave, chancel and vestry, north aisle, and a tower with 3 bells. The soil is loam and clay; the subsoil, oolite. Sir James Musgrave, Bart., is lord of the manor, and principal landowner: he resides here. The park is of considerable dimensions.

Poult-moor farm lies 1 mile east; Bibury lies 3 miles north-east; Ready Token, 3 miles south-east.

Gentry
Hatherall Mr. Abraham
Howman Rev. George Ernest, M.A.
Musgrave Sir James, bart. Barnsley prk

Traders
Burge Maria (Mrs.), shopkeeper
Cook William, blacksmith
Habgood Thomas, ‘Greyhound,’ farmer & maltster
Norris William, shopkeeper
Pritchett Benjamin, farmer
Turk William, farmer
Weaver William, tailor & parish clerk
Whitehead William, wheelwright

Post Office. – William Weaver, receiver. Letters are received from Cirencester 10 a.m. & dispatched 4 p.m. The nearest money order office is at Cirencester.

Parks School, Elizabeth Parfett, mistress

Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire with Bath and Bristol.  Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., 19, 20 & 21, Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1856.

Administration

  • County: Gloucestershire
  • Civil Registration District: Cirencester
  • Probate Court: Court of the Peculiar of Bibury
  • Diocese: Pre 1836 - Gloucester, Post 1835 - Gloucester and Bristol
  • Rural Deanery: Pre-1847 - None, Post-1846 - Fairford
  • Poor Law Union: Cirencester
  • Hundred: Brightwells Barrow
  • Province: Canterbury