Bagendon is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire.
Alternative names: Badgington, Baddington, Badington
Parish registers begin: 1630
Parishes adjacent to Bagendon
Bagendon Gloucestershire Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
Badgington, or Bagendon, a parish in Cirencester district, Gloucester; on the river Churn and near Ermine-street, 4 miles N by W of Cirencester r. station. Post-town, North Cerney under Cirencester. Acres, 1,106. Real property, £1,604. Pop., 175. Houses, 40. The property is divided among a few. Remains exist of two entrenchments, which are supposed to have been thrown up in 556, on occasion of a battle between the Britons and the West Saxons. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £191. Patron, Jesus’ College, Oxford. The church is good.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A Fullerton & Co. N.d.c. [1870-72].
Bagendon The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851
Baddington, or Badgendon, a parish in the hund. of Crowthorne and Minety, union of Cirencester, county of Gloucester; 3½ miles north-west from Cirencester. Living, a discharged rectory, formerly in the archd. and dio. of Gloucester, now in the archd. of Bristol and dio. of Gloucester and Bristol; rated at £8 14s. 4½d.; gross income £215; and in the patronage of Jesus’ college, Oxford. In some fields in this parish are the remains of two intrenchments, which are supposed to have been thrown up in 556, when a battle was fought here between the Britons and Cedric king of the West Saxons. Pop., in 1801, 133; in 1831, 167. Houses 36. Acres 990. A. P. £1,291. Poor rates, in 1837, £97.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.
Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Badington, 3m. N. Cirencester. P. 172
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850
Bagendon Kellys Gloucestershire Directory 1863
Bagendon, or Badgington, is a parish and village, 3½ miles north from Cirencester, in Crowthorne hundred, Cirencester union, county court district and rural deanery, East Gloucestershire, Bristol archdeaconry, and bishopric of Gloucester and Bristol. The church of St. Margaret is a stone building in the Norman style, with tower, which contains 2 bells; it has nave, chancel, one aisle, and gallery , in which is an organ; therc are several neat tablets in the chancel. The living is a rectory, in the gift of Jesus College, Oxford; the Rev. William Dyke, M.A., of Jesus College, Oxford, is the incumbent. The population in 1861 was 175, and the acreage 1,106. The soil is principally stone brash, and the subsoil limestone rock. The river Churn is one of the boundaries of the parish. The principal landowners are Edward Haines, Esq., J.P., of Moorwood House, who is lord of the manor, and Thomas Hinton, Esq.
Perrot’s Brook is a hamlet distant half a mile south.
Parish Clerk, William White.
Croome William Fielder, esq. D.L., J. P. Bagendon house
Dyke Rev. William, M.A. [rector]
Haines Edward, esq. J.P. Moorwood ho
Rolph Rev. Thomas, B.A. [curate of North Cerney], Trinity mill
Harrison Philip, carpenter & wheel wright, Perrot’s brook
Hayward Joseph, miller, Trinity mill
Hulbert George Neate, farmer, Manor house
Rouse Elizabeth (Miss), shopkeeper
Smith Giles, Bear, Perrot’s brook
Letters through Cirencester are delivered at 8 a.m. & cleared from a pillar letter box at 6.30 p.m. Cirencester is the nearest money order office.
Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire, Herefordshire, Shropshire and the City of Bristol, Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1863.
Bagendon or Badgington Kellys Gloucestershire Directory 1856
Bagendon or Badgington, is a township, parish, and village, 3 ½ miles north of Cirencester, in Crowthorne Hundred, Cirencester Union, East Gloucestershire, Bristol archdeaconry, and bishopric of Gloucester and Bristol. The church is a stone building in the Norman style, with tower. The living is a rectory, in the gift of Jesus College, Oxford; the Rev. Thomas Price, B.D., is the incumbent. The population, in 1851, was 183, and the acreage, 1,106. The soil is principally stone-brash, and the subsoil, limestone rock. The river Churn is one of the divisional boundaries of the parish. The principal landowners are Edward Haines, Esq., of Moorwood House, who is lord of the manor, and Thomas Hinton, Esq.
Perrot’s Brook is a hamlet distant half a mile south.
Croome Wm. Fielder, esq. Bagendon ho
Haines Edward, esq. Moorwood house
Price Rev. Thomas, B.D. [rector]
Habgood Edwd. miller, Perrot’s brook
Harrison Philip, carpenter & wheelwright, Perrot’s book
Hulbert George Neate, farmer
Pinchin Alfred, ‘Bear,’ & miller, Perrot’s brook
White William, parish clerk
Letters through Cirencester, which is also the nearest money order office.
Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire with Bath and Bristol. Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., 19, 20 & 21, Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1856.
- County: Gloucestershire
- Civil Registration District: Cirencester
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Pre 1836 – Gloucester, Post 1835 – Gloucester and Bristol
- Rural Deanery: Cirencester
- Poor Law Union: Cirencester
- Hundred: Crowthorne and Minety
- Province: Canterbury