Badgeworth Gloucestershire Family History Guide

Badgeworth is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire. Shurdington is a chapelry of Badgeworth.

Other places in the parish include: Little Shurdington, Little Witcombe, and Bentham.

Parish church: Holy Trinity

Parish registers begin: 1553

Nonconformists include:

Parishes adjacent to Badgeworth

Historical Descriptions

Badgeworth Gloucestershire Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

Badgeworth, a village and a parish in Cheltenham district, Gloucester. The village stands on a small stream, 2 miles S of the Gloucester and Birmingham railway, and 4 miles SW of Cheltenham. The parish includes also the hamlets of Bentham, little_shurdington, and little_witcombe; and it's post-town is Shurdington under Cheltenham. Acres, 3,927. Real property, £7,202. Pop., 1,048. Houses, 227. The manor belongs to J. E. Viner, Esq., of Badgeworth House. There is a mineral spring. The living is a vicarage, united with the curacy of Great Shurdington, Gloucestershire, in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £295. Patron, J. E. Viner, Esq. The church is later English; consists of nave, north aisle, and chancel, with tower at the west end of the nave; and is in good condition. Cox's charities for the poor yield £100 a year, and other charities £10.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A Fullerton & Co. N.d.c. [1870-72]

Badgeworth The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851

Badgeworth, a parish in the upper division of the hund. of Dudstone and King's-Barton, union of Cheltenham, county of Gloucester; 4 miles south west from Cheltenham, and 2 south of the railroad from Cheltenham to Gloucester. Living, a vicarage, to which is annexed the chapel of Sherdington, in the archd. of Gloucester, and dio. of Gloucester and Bristol; rated at £20 11s. 3d.; gross income £299. Patron, in 1835, W. L. Lawrence. There is also a sinecure rectory, in the patronage of Jesus' college, Oxford. Charities connected with this parish produce £28 per annum. The inhabitants are entitled to send children to the free school at Churchdown. This parish lies on a small stream which flows north-west wards into the Severn. Pop., in 1801, 603; in 1831. 859. Houses 173. Acres 1,730. A. P. £4,994. Poor rates, in 1837 £331.

Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.

Badgeworth Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850

Badgeworth, 2 m. E. Gloucester. P. 903

Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850

Poll Books

Badgeworth Poll Book 1834 - Google Books

Bentham Poll Book 1834 - Google Books

Little Shurdington Poll Book 1834 - Google Books

Little Witcombe Poll Book 1834 - Google Books

Directories

Badgeworth Kellys Gloucestershire Directory 1863

Badgeworth is a parish and village, 125 miles (by rail) west-north-west from London, and 4 south-west from Cheltenham railway station, in the upper division of the hundred of Dudstone and King's Barton, Cheltenham union and county court district, rural deanery of Winchcomb, archdeaconry of Gloucester, and diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. The church of the Holy Trinity is a stone building in the Decorated style, with handsome square embattled tower, chancel, aisle, chapel (which is dedicated to St. Margaret, and contains an inscription to the memory of William Lawrence, dated 1682), 6 bells, and several imposing mural tablets. The register bears date 1327. The living is a vicarage, annexed to Great Shurdington, joint annual value £295, in the patronage of Joseph Ellis Viner, Esq.; the Principal and Fellows of Jesus College, Oxford, are the impropriators; the Rev. Alfred William Ellis Viner, B. A., of University College, Oxford, is the vicar. There are several charitable donations for apprenticing poor boys and distributions for the poor. At Cold Pool there is a spring of mineral water. A National school for boys and girls was erected in 1840. The population in 1861 was 1,048; the acreage is 3,579. The soil is clayey.

Bentham, Little Shurdington and Little Whitcomb are hamlets.

Parish Clerk, William Crook.

Badgeworth.

Bubb Anthony, esq. Whitcomb court

Viner Rev. Alfred Win. Ellis, B.A. [vicar]

Viner Joseph Ellis, esq. J.P. Badgeworth house

Commercial.

Baker William, farmer, Redings

Chandler Elizabeth (Mrs.), farmer

Chandler Joseph, farmer, Dryhill farm

Davis Joseph, farmer

Davis William, farmer

Edwards John, Talbot inn, Whitcomb

Fowler William, farmer, Hunt court

Hawkes William, shopkeeper

Kilby Joseph, farmer

Kilmister John, farmer

Oakey Charles, farmer

Oakey William, farmer

Polton James, farmer, Redings farm

Prockter John, farmer

Remes Thomas, carpenter

Roberts Daniel, farmer, Brook farm

Scrivens Henry, farmer

Stait William, farmer

Stait William, jun. collector of taxes

Theyer Isaac, farmer, Crippet's farm

Theyer John, farmer, Crickley

Toms Isaac, farmer

Waine Thomas, farmer

Bentham.

Bubb Miss

Coopey Jaspar William, esq

Coates George, baker

Coopey Benjamin, farmer

Sadler Joseph, farmer

Little Shurdington.

Arkell Charles, farmer

Sadler John, farmer

Theyer Henry, farmer

Little Whitcomb.

Arkell Thomas, horse dealer

Collingbourne John, stonemason

Hurn Phoebe (Mrs.), beer retailer

Jones William, farmer

Long Henry, farmer

Wiggall Isaac, shopkeeper

Letters are delivered through Cheltenham by a foot messenger. The nearest money order office is at Cheltenham.

National School, James Berry, master.

Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire, Herefordshire, Shropshire and the City of Bristol, Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1863.

Badgeworth Kellys Gloucestershire Directory 1856

Badgeworth is a parish and village, in the Upper Division of the Hundred of Dudstone and King’s Barton, in Cheltenham Union, 4 miles south-west-by-west from Cheltenham.  The living is a vicarage, annexed to Great Shurdington, in the archdeaconry of Gloucester, and diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, valued at £295 yearly, in the patronage of Joseph Ellis Viner, Esq.; the Principal and Fellows of Jesus College, Oxford, are the impropriators; the Rev. Alfred William Ellis Viner, B.A., is the vicar.  The church of the Holy Trinity is a stone building, in the decorated style, with handsome square embattled tower, chancel, aisle, 6 bells, and several imposing mural tablets.  Some wondrous tales are related in this parish of St. Margaret.  There are several charitable donations for apprenticing poor boys and distributions for the poor.  At Cold Pool there is a spring of mineral water.  A National School for boys and girls was erected in 1840.  The Greenway is the residence of William Edwards Lawrence, Esq., magistrate and deputy-lieutenant of the county.  The population, in 1851, was 874; acreage, 3,579.  The soil is clayey.

Bentham is a hamlet, as are Little Shurdington and Little Whitcomb or Witcomb.  Whitcomb Court, Dryhill, Crickley, Redings, Hunt Court, Manor Farm, and Crippets are other places.

Badgeworth

Gentry

Bubb Anthony, esq. Whitcomb court

Lawrence William Edwards, esq. [deputy-lieutenant & J.P.], the Greenway

Viner Rev. Alfred Ellis, B.A. [vicar]

Viner Joseph Ellis, esq. J.P. Badgeworth house

Traders

Baker William, farmer, Redings

Bullock James, parish clerk

Chandler George, farmer

Chandler John, farmer, Witcomb

Chandler Joseph, farmer, Dryhill farm

Davis William, cattle dealer & farmer

Fowler William, farmer, Hunt court

Gregory John, farmer & carpntr. Crickley

Haines Thomas, farmer, Reddings farm

Hawkes William, shopkeeper

Johnson Thomas, farmer

Kilmister John, farmer

Kilmister William, farmer

Oakey John, farmer

Oakey William, cattle dealer & farmer

Palmer Joseph, master of National school

Prockter John, farmer

Reeves John, farmer

Remes Thomas, carpenter & cooper

Scrivens Henry, farmer, Manor farm

Scrivens John, farmer, Cold Pool farm

Stait William, farmer

Stait William, jun., collector of taxes

Theyer Isaac, farmer, Crippet’s farm

Theyer John, farmer, Crickley

Bentham

Gentry

Bubb Miss

Coopey Mrs.

Traders

Coates S. baker

Coopey B. farmer

Sadler Joseph, yeoman

White W. shopkeeper

Little Shurdington

Traders

Arkell Charles, farmer

Sadler John, farmer

Theyer Henry, farmer

Letters are delivered through Cheltenham by a foot messenger.  The nearest money order office is at Cheltenham.

Little Witcomb

Traders

Arkell - , horsedealer

Collingbourne John, stonemason

Hurn Phoebe, innkeeper

Jones W., yeoman

Long John, farmer

Smart - , shoemaker

Smith - , farmer

Tanner Mrs. Talbot inn

Walters - , farmer

Wiggall Isaac, shopkeeper & post office

National School, Joseph Palmer, master

Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire with Bath and Bristol.  Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., 19, 20 & 21, Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1856.

Administration

  • County: Gloucestershire
  • Civil Registration District: Cheltenham
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Post 1835 - Gloucester and Bristol, Pre 1836 - Gloucester
  • Rural Deanery: Winchcombe
  • Poor Law Union: Cheltenham
  • Hundred: Dudstone and King's Barton
  • Province: Canterbury