Awre Gloucestershire Family History Guide

Awre is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire.

The parish includes also the tythings of Bledisloe, Hagloe, Etloe, Etloe-Duchy and the chapelry of Blakeney.

Parish church: St. Andrew

Parish registers begin: 1538; Separate registers exist for Blakeney: 1813

Nonconformists include: Baptist, Independent/Congregational, and Protestant Dissenters.

Parishes adjacent to Awre

Parish History

Awre

Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales Circa 1870

Awre, a tything and a parish in the district of Westbury-on-Severn, Gloucester. The tything lies on the river Severn, and on the South Wales railway, 2 miles SE of Newnham; and has a post-office under Newnham. The parish includes also the tythings of Bledisloe, Hagloe, Etloe, and Blakeney. Acres, 6,115; of which 2,035 are water. Real property, £10,888. Pop., 1,526. Houses, 287. The property is much subdivided. Part of the land has been washed away by the Severn. Iron pyrites occur. The weaving of cloth is carried on. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £580. The church is in good repair. The p. curacy of Blakeney is a separate charge. Sternhold, one of the translators of the English metrical version of the Psalms, was a native.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Awre Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850

Aure [sic], 2 m. S.E. Newnham. P. 1277

Source: Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.

The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1840

Awre, a parish in the hund. of Blidesloe, union of Westbury, Gloucestershire; 2 ½ miles east-north east from Blakeney; on the estuary of the Severn, which bounds the parish on three sides. It includes the chapelry of Blakeney (which see) and the tythings of Blidesloe, Etloe, Etloe-Duchy, and Hagloe. Living, a vicarage in connection with Poulton, transferred from the archd. of Hereford to that of Gloucester, in the dio. of Gloucester and Bristol; rated at £10 5s.; gross income £572; and in the patronage of the Haberdashers' company, London. There are three daily schools here, two whereof are National. Charities connected with the parish produce about £24 per annum. Sternhold, one of the translators of the common English metrical version of the Psalms, was born here. Pop., in 1801, 952; in 1831, 1,309. Houses 219. Acres 4,120. A. P. £6,632. Poor rates, in 1837, £503.

Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1840.

Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland 1833

Awre, co. Gloucester.

P. T. Blakeney (123) 2½ m. ENE. Pop. 1138.

A parish in the hundred of Blideslow; living a vicarage (with Poulton), in the archdeaconry of Hereford and diocese of Gloucester; charged in K.B. 10l. 5s.; church ded. to St. Andrew; patrons, the Haberdasher's company, London. The woollen cloth factories employ a great many of the inhabitants of this parish.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland by John Gorton. The Irish and Welsh articles by G. N. Wright; Vol. I; London; Chapman and Hall, 186, Strand; 1833.

Blakeney

Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850

Blakeney, included in Aure, 3 m. S. Newnham.

Source: Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.

Blakeney The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851

Blakeney, a tything in the parish of Awre, hund, of Blidesloe, county of Gloucester; 14 miles south-west by west of Gloucester, on the western bank of the river Severn. Living, a curacy in the archd. of Gloucester and dio. of Gloucester and Bristol, of the yearly value of £250; in tbe patronage of the Haberdashers' company, London. The Baptists have a place of worship here. Fairs for live stock are held on 12th May, and 12th November. Pop. returned with the parish.

Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.

Bledisloe

Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850

Blidesloe [sic], included in Aure parish

Source: Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.

Bankrupts

Below is a list of people that were declared bankrupt between 1820 and 1843 extracted from The Bankrupt Directory; George Elwick; London; Simpkin, Marshall and Co.; 1843.

Ambrose William, Awre, Gloucester, timber merchant, June 7, 1839.

Handy John, Blakeny, Gloucestershire, shopkeeper, Nov. 14, 1826.

Moore George Cowles, Blakeney, Gloucestershire, grocer, Aug. 24, 1830.

White Richard, ­jun., Blakeney, Gloucestershire, tanner, July 10, 1829.

Parish Records

FamilySearch - Birth Marriage & Death Census Migration & Naturalization Military Probate & Court

Directories

Awre Kellys Gloucestershire Directory 1863

Awre, with the tithings of Blakeney, Bledisloe, Etloe, Etloe Duchy, and Hagloe, is a large township, parish and village, 3 miles south-east from Newnham railway station, 6 south from Westbury union, 15 south from Gloucester, and 120 from London, in the hundred of Bledisloe, Westbury union, West Gloucestershire, deanery of the Forest, Gloucester archdeaconry, Gloucester and Bristol bishopric, and Newnham county court district. It is situated on the right bank of the navigable river Severn, and on the Gloucester and Swansea railway; the Gatcombe station is in this parish. The church of St. Andrew is an old stone building with square tower, in the Saxon style, in good repair; it has nave, north aisle, porch, chancel, font, organ 6 bells, and several monumental tablets. The living is a vicarage, value £500 yearly, with residence, in the gift of the Haberdashers' Company, who are likewise the owners of the great tithes; the Rev. Joseph Henry Malpas, M.A., of Exeter College, Oxford, is the incumbent; the Rev. Nelson Benjamin Corfe, B.A., of Worcester College, Oxford, is the curate.

There is a church of England school. Oaklands Park, the seat of H. Crawshay, Esq., J. P., is the principal seat. The population in 1861 was 1,526; the area is 4,008a. 30p., divided as follows, viz.: Blakeney, 430a. 3r. 4p.; Hagloe, 752a. 3r. 20p.; Etloe, 412a. 1r. 5p.; Etloe Duchy, 292a. 1r. 4p.; Bledisloe, 968a. 0r. 19p.; and Awre, 1,231a. 3r. 18p. The soil is sandy and loamy ; the subsoil is brick earth and limestone. The trustees of Sir Thomas Rich's charities are lords of the manor of Awre; the manors of Hagloe and Blakeney, with about 700 acres of land, belong to the Crown . The chief landowners are the Crown, John Wade Wait, Esq., and the trustees of Sir Thomas Rich's charities. There are charities of £16 10s. yearly value.

Blakeney is a tithing of Awre and large village, 3½ miles south from Newnham railway station, 6½ south from Westbury, 15 south from Gloucester, and 120 from London, in Bledisloe hundred, Westbury union, West Gloucestershire, deanery of the Forest, Gloucester archdeaconry, and Gloucester and Bristol bishopric; it is situated on the Gloucester and Chepstow road , river Severn, and Gloucester and Swansea railway; the nearest station is at Gatcombe. The church of All Saints is a plain modern stone building; it has nave, porch, font, and small belfry with 1 bell. The living is a perpetual curacy, value £250 yearly, in the gift of the Haberdashers' Company; the Rev. Charles Brooksbank, M.A., of Christ Church, Oxford, is the incumbent. There are chapels for Baptists and Independents; and National and British schools for boys and girls. Fairs are held on May 12th and November 12th yearly for cattle, sheep, &c. The population is returned with Awre. The number of acres is 430. The Queen is lady of the manor.

Hagloe is a tithing and manor, with 752 acres of land. The Queen is lady of the manor.

Etloe and Etloe Duchy are tithings, the former with 412 and the latter with 292 acres.

Bledisloe is a tithing, with 968 acres. This tithing, with Hagloe and Etloe, takes its name from lows, or barrows, that are still to be seen.

Oaklands Park, New House, Kingsland House, Underdean Larches, Old Street House. Hagloe House, Hawfleld House, and Etloe House are in this parish.

Parish Clerks (Awre), Thomas Cadogan; (Blakeney), William Willetts

Awre.

Barber Wm. Jones, esq. Kingsland ho

Crawshay Hen. esq. J.P. Oaklands park

Edwards Mrs. Fras. Underdean larches

Malpas Rev. Joseph Hen. M. A. Vicarage

Wait John Wade, esq. New house

Wait John Wade, jun. esq. New house

Webb Mrs. Eleanor, Underdean larches

COMMERCIAL.

Awre Henry, Red Hart, & farmer, Upper House farm

Cadogan Thomas, postmaster

Hatton Lewis, farmer

Hooper Robt. Presbury, farmer, Field ho

Phelps Wintour, farmer

Price William, shopkeeper

Robinson Edward, miller

Smith John, master mariner

Smith Richard, master mariner

Storey David, pilot & shopkeeper

Taylor Walter, farmer, Bray's court

Trotman Robert, carrier to Gloucester

Turley William, smith

Wetmore Wm. Cox, farmer, Hall farm

Church of England School, Miss Symons, mistress

Carrier to Gloucester. — Robert Trotman

Blakeney.

Barber Miss Mary, Hawfleld house

Brooksbank Rev. Charles, M.A

Davies Rev. John D. [Independent]

Teague James, M.D

Vaughan Capt. Edward [Royal North Gloucester Militia], Old Court end

Vaughan Capt. Thomas [deputy-lieutenant ), Old Court street

White Daniel, esq. Nibley house

COMMERCIAL.

Butler Alfred, draper & grocer

Cadogan Charles, Swan, & farmer

Cadogan Henry, King's Head

Charley James, builder & plasterer

Charley Samuel, painter & glazier

Charley Walter, butcher

Clark John, butcher

Cole Stephen, boot & shoe maker

Collins Thomas, beer retailer, Ayleford

Cotton Elizabeth (Mrs.), draper & grocer

Davis James, timber valuer & farmer

Davis Sarah (Mrs ), shopkpr. Gatcombe

Davis Thomas, farmer, Viney farm

Evans Joseph, boot & shoe maker

Fisher William, plumber, glazier, painter & paperhanger

Ford Samuel, draper & grocer

Godwin James, boot & shoe maker

Griffiths John, farmer, Hays farm

Holder Thomas, cooper & farmer

Holder William, boot & shoe maker

Hopkins Robert, boot & shoe maker

Hulin Caleb, blacksmith

Hulin Walter John, organist & teacher of music, Cluster cottage

Humphries Charles, boot & shoe maker

Jenkins John, saddle & harness maker

Jennings William, farmer, Nether hall

Jones Eliza (Mrs.), straw bonnet maker

Jones George, farmer, Poulton court

Jones William, carpenter & wheelwright

Knight George, grocer, draper, agent to the Lancashire insurance company & manager to the Blakeney co-operative stores

Knight Mary (Mrs.), seminary

Mayo George Frederick, baker

Minchin Priscilla (Mrs.), shopkeeper

Moore John, tailor

Morris John, grocer & provision mercht

Morse Charles, jun. limeburner

Parsons James, Yew Tree, & farmer

Penn Richard, carpenter

Philpotts Joseph & Son, chemists & druggists

Pitt Alfred, Cock, Nibley

Powell James, farmer, wood turner, rake maker & miller

Shaw William, farmer

Shaw William, shipwright

Shipton Thomas, farmer, Viney farm

Sims Ann (Miss), dressmaker

Sims James, tailor, & agent to the Manchester fire & Eagle life office

Smallwood Elizabeth (Mrs.), boot & shoe maker

Smallwood William, boot & shoe maker

Smith James, farmer, Little Box

Taylor John, haulier

Thomas Henry, farmer

Thomas Sarah (Mrs.), farmer & grocer

Thorn Joseph, mason

Turner Henry, saddle & harness maker

Virgo Charles, butcher

Virgo William, farmer

White Stephen, general agent

White Richard Watts, miller & maltster, Steam mills

Wood William, farmer

Yemm John, grocer & draper

Post k Money Order Office & Post Office Savings Bank. — Miss Emma Sophia Minchin, postmistress. Letters received through Newnham, delivered at 8 a.m.; dispatched at 6.30 p.m

Insurance Agents: —

Imperial Life, Samuel Charley

Manchester Fire, Alfred Butler

Police Station, Robert Tanner, sergeant

National School, Frederick Frost, master ; Mrs. Frost, mistress

Bledisloe.

Beaman Joseph, farmer

Cowcher Elizabeth (Mrs.), farmer

Morris James, farmer, Daniel's farm

Smith John, farmer, Poulton farm

Etloe Ducby.

Wickenden Mr. William

Barber James, farmer

Inman Richard, fisherman

Powell Thomas, carpenter, wheelwright & undertaker

Shaw Thomas, boat builder & ship owner

Warner Henry, farmer

Hagloe.

Teague James, esq. M.D. [coroner for the Forest district], Hagloe house

Commercial.

Hulin Ann (Mrs.), beer retailer & farmer

Jenner George Chas. farmer, Lodge farm

Jennings Win. farmer, Upper Hagloe

Jones George, farmer, Poulton court

Jones Henry, farmer, Oatfleld house

Smith John, farmer. Little Poulton

Wiggell Maria (Mrs.), Sloop

Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire, Herefordshire, Shropshire and the City of Bristol, Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1863.

Blakeney Bennetts Business Directory 1899

Arnold, Perrett & Co., Ltd., brewers, Bridge st
Beard R., tailor, Bridge st
Bennett A F. miller, Nibley Mills
Bennett H S, the people’s clothier, boot factor, and grocer, Commercial rd. Also furniture, glass, china and ironmongery warehouse
Bennett Mrs. fancy repository, Church Square
Bird in Hand Hotel, Church Square J Merlin, proprietor. Every accommodation for commercials, cyclists & visitors
Blakeney Reading Rooms, Lowfield
Butler A., Forest of Dean Supply Stores
Butler L W, grocer and draper, Bridge st
Capital & Counties Bank Ltd. Open Tuesdays & Fridays, from 12 till 2
Charley J S, newsagent, Brook House
Clayfield & Co., grocers & drapers, Church Square
Cock Inn, Nibley rd

Cresswell F, butcher, High st
Dyer A, grocer & baker, Brewery st
Dyer C, baker, Confectioner and flour dealer, Church Square. Wholesale & retail salt mcht. All kinds of cake made to order
Dyer W & Son, grocers, Post Office
Edwards T A, grocer, Bridge st
Haddon W, monumental mason, builder and contractor. Designs and estimates. All orders, by post or otherwise, will receive prompt attention on reasonable terms
Haddon A & A E, dress & mantle makers milliners, etc. Church Square
Harriss, C, draper & outfitter, Bridge st
Harris E, draper & outfitter, London House
Hulin C, smith, Bridge st
King’s Head Hotel
Lunn P T, surgeon, Bridge st
Newman & Virgo, gardeners, seedsmen & florists, Church Square. Importers of bulbs, seeds and plants
Philpot J R. chemist, Church square
Powell F, boot maker, Bridge st
Severn Bridge Hotel & Museum – J Franklin – see advt
Smith M, draper & grocer, Church Square
Stabbing A G, plumber and glazier, gas and hot water fitter, house decorator, sign writer, &c. Church Square
Swan Temperance Hotel, Church Square. Every accommodation for commercials, cyclists, &c. – Mrs. Haddon
Stubbs C, butcher, Church Square
Yew Tree Inn, Church Square

Advert.

Forest of Dean,
Severn Bridge Hotel and Museum
Blakeney.
(Five Minutes Walk from the Severn Bridge Railway Station)
John Franklin – Proprietor

The above Hotel is Situated in the Banks of the Severn, overlooking the Severn Bridge, the Sharpness Docks, the Stroud Valley, and Cotswold Hills.
Good Accommodation for Parties, &c.

Source: Bennetts Business Directory (Gloucestershire Section) 1899; Bennett & Co. Printers and Publishers, Birmingham.

Newspapers

The following newspapers cover the area.

Gloucestershire Newspapers

Cheltenham Chronicle (The British Newspaper Archive)

Cheltenham Examiner (The British Newspaper Archive)

Cheltenham Journal and Gloucestershire Fashionable Weekly Gazette (The British Newspaper Archive)

Cheltenham Looker-On (The British Newspaper Archive)

Cheltenham Mercury (The British Newspaper Archive)

Cirencester Times and Cotswold Advertiser (The British Newspaper Archive)

Gloucester Citizen (The British Newspaper Archive)

Gloucester Journal (The British Newspaper Archive)

Gloucestershire Chronicle (The British Newspaper Archive)

Gloucestershire Echo (The British Newspaper Archive)

Stroud Journal (The British Newspaper Archive)

Stroud News and Gloucestershire Advertiser (The British Newspaper Archive)

Tewkesbury Register, and Agricultural Gazette., The (The British Newspaper Archive)

Wilts and Gloucestershire Standard (The British Newspaper Archive)

Administration

  • County: Gloucestershire
  • Civil Registration District: Westbury on Severn
  • Probate Court: Post-1541 - Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory), Pre-1541 - Court of the Bishop of Hereford
  • Diocese: Pre 1836 - Gloucester, Post 1835 - Gloucester and Bristol
  • Rural Deanery: Forest
  • Poor Law Union: Westbury on Severn
  • Hundred: Bledisloe
  • Province: Canterbury