Aston Subedge Gloucestershire Family History Guide

Aston Subedge is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire.

Parish church: St. Andrew

Parish registers begin: 1537

Nonconformists include:

Adjacent Parishes

Historical Descriptions

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

ASTON-SUB-EDGE, a parish in the district of Evesham and county of Gloucester; on the West Midland railway, under Bredon hill, 2 miles SSW of Honeybourne r. station, and 6 ESE of Evesham. Post Town, Campden, under Moreton-in-the-Marsh. Acres, 755. Real property, £1,503. Pop., 128. Houses, 27. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £204. Patron, Earl Harrowby. The church is tolerable.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Aston Subedge Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850

Aston-sub-Edge, 1 m. N. Campden. P.134

Source: Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.

The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1840

Aston, or Ashton-sub-Edge, a parish in the upper division of the hund. of Kiftsgate, union of Evesham, Gloucestershire; 5 miles south-east of Evesham. Living, a rectory in the archd. of Gloucester and dio. of Gloucester and Bristol; rated at £10 2s. 3 ½ d.; gross income £204. Patron, in 1835, the earl of Harrowby. Great and small tithes, moduses, &c., the property of the clerical rector, commuted in 1771. Pop., in 1801, 116; in 1831, 103. Houses 28. Acres 850. A. P. £986. Poor rates, in 1837, £16.

Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1840.

Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland 1833

Aston-Subedge, co. Gloucester.

P. T. Campden (96) 2 m. NNW. Pop. 116.

A parish in the upper division of the hundred of Kiftsgate; living, a rectory in the archdeaconry and diocese of Gloucester; charged in K. B. 10l. 2s. 3½d.; patron (1829) the Earl of Harrowby.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland by John Gorton. The Irish and Welsh articles by G. N. Wright; Vol. I; London; Chapman and Hall, 186, Strand; 1833.

Marriages

Marriages at Aston Subedge 1539 to 1812

Note. – The first Volume of the Parish Registers of Aston Subedge, a parchment book of 51 leaves, arranged in three sections, De baptismo, de matrimonio, and de sepultura mortuorum, has strayed from its proper custody, and is now preserved in the chest of the neighbouring church of Mickleton.

The Marriages begin on fo.31 with the wedding of Laurence Horne and Margery Hawkes.

This transcript has been made by Mr. S. G. Hamilton, of Hertford College, Oxford, and is now printed under his supervision by the permission of the Revs. W. V. B. Perry and A.M. Coxwell-Rogers, successively Vicars of Mickleton.

The marriages from 1720 to 1812 are preserved at Aston Subedge, and have been extracted by permission of the Rev. M. Churton, of Aston Subedge, by the Rev. J. Harvey Bloom, under whose supervision they are now printed.

Source: Gloucestershire Parish Register. Marriages. Edited by W. P. W. Phillimore, M.A., B.C.L., Vol. III. Issued to the Subscribers by Phillimore & Co., 36, Essex Street, Strand, London. 1898.

Marriages at Aston Subedge 1539-1812 - UK Genealogy Archives

Transcriptions

Aston Subedge Marriages 1756 to 1812

Volume III.

Francis Cowley & Mary Tyner, 14 Oct. 1756

Wm. Hutchings, Newbold, & Ann Haines, 26 Dec. 1760

Joseph Williams, of Himbleton, & Mary Mogaridge, 14 Sept. 1761

Joseph Shrieve & Elizabeth Harris, 26 June 1762

John Porter & Martha Stanfeild [sic], 26 Apr. 1762

John Tyner & Mary Jones, 14 Oct. 1763

John Fletcher & Elizabeth Rousham, lic., 13 Apr. 1765

Wm. Bickerstaff, of Bilsley, & Catherine Hawker, 5 Jan. 1765

John Odel & Hannah Jones, 29 Aug. 1764

Stephen Fisher, of Bengeworth, & Margaret Haines, 7 Nov. 1766

Edwd. Sawyer & Elizabeth Shrieve, 14 May 1767

Henry Tanner, of Mickleton, & Dorothy Holtham, 25 Sept. 1767

John Gardner, of S’bury [Saintbury], & Elizabeth Wheetley, 24 May 1768

Peter Harris, of Clifford, & Anne Hawker, 8 June 1770

John Drury, of Weston Subedge, & Elizabeth Haines, 20 June 1770

Thomas Bates & Elizabeth Jones, 8 Sept. 1771

Richard Horton & Hannah Brown, 17 Nov. 1772

Alexander Grove & Mary Holtham, 22 Dec. 1772

Thomas Sammons & Martha Prestead, 7 July 1778

Samuel Days & Elizabeth Neale, 7 July 1778

William Grove & Esther Wheatley, 10 Aug. 1778

Jones Freeman & Elizabeth Bloxam, lic., 30 Dec. 1780

Edward William & Elizabeth Barnet, lic., 3 Oct. 1781

John Standley & Lucy Jones, 29 June 1782

Thos. Ladbrooke & Mary Cox, 8 Dec. 1783

Joseph Such & Elizabeth Stanley, lic., 11 Oct. 1786

Joseph Wilds & Elizabeth Malines, 8 Oct. 1787

Samuel Such & Anne Cockbill, 12 Oct. 1787

Will Bloxam & Ann Fletcher, lic., 28 Nov. 1787

John Applebee & Mary Tomblins, 8 Oct. 1788

John Haines & Mary Cockbill, 15 Feb. 1789

Peter Harris & Elizabeth Pit, 16 Feb. 1789

Samuel Haines & Anne Haines, lic., 30 Sept. 1781

Henry Green & Mary Wheatley, lic., 19 Jan. 1782

John Gardner & Mary Emms, lic., 6 Apr. 1784

Wm. Holmes & Ann Bates, 17 Mar. 1786

George Hancock & Ann Emms, 9 May 1786

Samuel Farley & Ann Harrison, 16 Nov. 1787

Samuel Harris & Ann Niel, 28 Nov. 1787

Wm. Yates & Ann Screeves, 9 Dec. 1788

John Harris & Ann Bloxam, lic., 11 Nov. 1788

Henry Hartwell, of Mickleton, & Elizabeth Bates, lic., 13 July 1801

Thomas Titman & Hannah Days, 1 July 1802

John Hemming & Sarah Smith, 28 Sept. 1802

Thos. Meades & Elizabeth Draper, both of Mickleton, 1 Nov. 1802

Thomas Neal, of Bretforton, & Mary Days, 24 Jan. 1803

Joseph Roberts & Mary Shrieve, lic., 26 Feb. 1803

Samuel Day & Mary Ladbrook, 8 Nov. 1803

George Hall & Ann Stevens, 12 June 1806

John Petipher & Elizabeth Shrieve, 22 Oct. 1810

Thomas Savage, of Pebworth, & Hannah Drury, lic., 28 Feb. 1811

John Scrieves & Catherine Gardner, of Campden, 1 Nov. 1811

John Lucket, of Mickleton, & Lucy Days, 5 Nov. 1812

Source: Gloucestershire Parish Register. Marriages. Edited by W. P. W. Phillimore, M.A., B.C.L., Vol III. Issued to the Subscribers by Phillimore & Co., 36, Essex Street, Strand, London. 1898.

Aston Subedge Marriages 1720 to 1755

Volume II.

Note. – The later volumes of the Aston Subedge registers are preserved at Aston and not at Mickleton.  The marriages in them from 1720 to 1812 have been extracted by the Rev. J. Harvey Bloom, rector of Whitchurch, Stratford-upon-Avon, and are now printed under his supervision by permission of the Rev. M. Churton, rector of Aston Subedge.

Edward Walker, of Campden, & Jane Keyt, of Ebrington, lic., 5 June 1720

Peircey Grove, of Norton, & Grace Purser, of Hitcoat [Hidcot]. 11 Oct. 1720

Edward Jones & Jane Barton, both of Aston, 9 June 1721

Samuel Tomlins, of Aston & Mary Mentz, of Tutwell, p. Tardebeck, co. War., lic., 9 Oct. 1721

John Yeate, of Mickleton, & Elizabeth Tanner, of same, lic., 18 Oct. 1722

Giles Hotham, of Mickleton, & Mary Sansom, of Aston, lic., 17 Dec. 1722

Richard Farley & Anne Tuffley, 10 June 1723

Thomas Barton & Mary Wood, both of Aston, 20 June 1726

Thomas Leadbeater & Anne Moyle, both of Aston, 3 Oct. 1726

Thomas Phillips, of Cropthorne, & Elizabeth Gibbs, of Aston, 6 Nov. 1726

John Kempson, of Binton, co. War., & Mary Wheatley, of Aston, 16 June 1729

Thomas Rimell, of Weston Subedge, & Mary Dutton, of Mickleton, 16 Dec. 1729

Edward Holtham & Elizabeth Batchelor, both of Aston, 16 Sept. 1733

Robert Harvey & Elizabeth Purser, both of Aston, 30 Sept. 1733

Thos. Harris, of Mickleton, & Mary Freeman, of Todenham, 12 Dec. 1736

Joseph Nichols, w., & Mary Fairfax, servant to Sir Wm. Keyte, of Norton, 17 Dec. 1736

Thos. Gibson, of Standon, & Elizabeth Tomlins, of Aston, 14 June 1736

Charles Hughes & Martha Stanfield, w., both of Aston, 1 Nov. 1736

Benjamin Atkins, of Mickleton, & Frances Stanfield, of Aston, 18 Nov. 1736

Barnabas Blackford & Sarah Newman, 1 Dec. 1737

Robert London, of Clifford, & Anne Godsoe, of Aston, 7 Oct. 1738

Samuel Handy of Aston, & Elizabeth Wells, of Quinton, 27 Dec. 1738

Jonathan Chambers, of Buckland, & Sarah Jones, of Aston, 28 Dec. 1738

William Humphreys, of Broadway, & Anne Hobdy, of Mickleton, 18 Oct. 1739

Thos. Taplin, of Stratford-upon-Avon, & Sarah Bishop, of Mickleton, 20 July 1739

Wm. Dutton, of Mickleton, & Mary Sommers, of same, lic., 9 Apr. 1740

Wm. Freeman, of Todenham,, & Ann Horn, of Shipston, lic., 5 Nov. 1740

John Badson & Dorothy Jackson, 30 Mar. 1741

William Horton alias Curtis, & Elizabeth Jones, 18 June 1741

Alexander Groves & Sarah Bumpass, 10 Sept. 1741

Wm. Farley & Ann Bishop, both of Mickleton, 27 Sept. 1743

Stephen Hull & Tiny Cotton, both of Aston, 1 Oct. 1743

Samuel Walker, of Stonely, & Anne Taylor, of Campden, 11 Jan. 1744

Peter Strathorne, of Stratford-on-Avon, & Ann Fletcher, 11 Sept. 1745

William Sanford, of Weston Subedge, & Mary Hartwell, of Mickleton, 19 Sept. 1745

David Kite & Elizabeth Pierce, both of Long Marston, 26 Feb. 1746

Thomas Kirby & Elizabeth Porter, 15 Apr. 1748

John Digton & Mary Blackwell, both of Long Marston, 13 Dec. 1748

Edward Ellis, of Preston-upon-Stower, & Ann Harper, of Aston, 17 Jan. 1748

John White & Elizabeth Camden, both of Long Marston, 10 Sept. 1749

John Lane & Sarah White, both of Long Marston, 3 Aug. 1750

Source: Gloucestershire Parish Register. Marriages. Edited by W. P. W. Phillimore, M.A., B.C.L., Vol. III. Issued to the Subscribers by Phillimore & Co., 36, Essex Street, Strand, London. 1898.

Aston Subedge Marriages 1675 to 1719

Thomas Wilks & Sarah Castle, 11 Aug. 1675

Richard Coldicot, de Blockley, & Francis Alcox, 17 Apr. 1677

Johannes Matthews, de Ebrington, & Ursula Dadford, de Charingworth, 25 May 1678

Johes Symonds, de Broadwell, & Elizabetha Andrewes, de South Littleton, 21 Feb. 1678/9

Johes Izod, de Westington, & Hellen Ballard, de Campden, 8 May 1679

William Hambidge & Sarah Pane, both of Hidcot Bartrum, 14 June 1680

Richard Paxford, of Longborough, & Katharine Hambidge, of Ebrington, 6 July 1680

John Davis, of Risington Parva, & Eliz. Rede, 9 Nov. 1680

Samuel Purser & Martha Miles, both of Ebrington, 27 Apr. 1684

William Kight, of Burton on ye Water, & Elizabeth Rose, of Mickleton, 13 Apr. 1686

John Tyner & Mary Russel, 29 Mar. 1687

Edward Harvey, of Winchcomb, & Mary Gale, of Weston Subedge, 8 Jan. 1690

Thomas Farly & Joyce Turner, 29 Sept. 1691

John Reeve, of Broadway, & Ann Gibbs, 19 May 1692

Thomas Robbins, of Ashelworth, & Mary Clarke, of Weston, 21 June 1692

Edward Porter & Anne Summers, both of Mickleton, 1 May 1693

John Bloxam & Alice Shurley, 5 Nov. 1693

Philip Clarke, of Campden, & Anne Gun, 30 May 1694

Samuel Harris, of Bishop’s Cleeve, & Catherine Taylor, of Chipping Campden, lic., 29 Sept. 1694

John Read, of Ebrington, & Anne Purser, of Hitcoat, of ye same parish [i.e. the hamlet of Hidcote Boyce, both the (civil) parish of Hidcote Bartrim, belonging ecclesiastically to Mickleton.), 1 May 1695

John Cox & Mary James, both of Ebrington, 19 May 1695

Richard Keyt, of Binton, in Warwickshire, & Elizabeth Smith, of Campden, lic., 2 Feb. 1695

William Whitehead & Mary Daniel, both of Ebrington, 19 May 1696

Francis Robins & Mary Robins, both of Broad Campden, 8 May 1697

John Dyer, of Campden, & Eliner Bumpass, 4 July 1697

John Webb, of Woolvercott, in co. Oxon, & Mary Smith, of Campden, 4 Jan. 1697

Roger Davis, of Chipping Campden, & Elizabeth Hitchman, of Mickleton, 3 May 1698

John Grigg & Marian Read, both of Ebrington, 31 May 1699

Thomas Mosely, of Broad Campden, & Elizabeth Page, 9 Dec. 1699

Thomas Corbit, of Stoake in Ilmington, & Mary Harrison, 6 Feb. 1699

William Burman & Hannah Snipes, 6 July 1701

William Jackson & Elizabeth Rose, both of Mickleton, 5 Sept. 1701

William Harrison & Elizabeth Day, both of Stow in ye Would, 29 Dec. 1701

Thomas Reeve & Ellen Rose, both of Mickleton, 15 Feb. 1701

Robert Smith, of Campden, & Mary Widdows, of Hanging Aston, 28 May 1702

John Cattling, of Honington, & Elizabeth Lord, of Upper Norton, 24 Sept. 1702

Thomas Price, of Lower Norton, & Priscilla Durham, of Upper Norton, both p. Weston Subedge, 1 Oct. 1702

Anchor Marshal, of Cleeve Prior, & Margaret Law, 28 Dec. 1702

Richard Castle & Mary Goldby, both of Mickleton, 27 Jan. 1703

John Durham, of Weston, & Elizabeth Bloxam, 14 July 1706

Henry Tomlins, of Summervile Aston, & Mary Bromley, of Willersey, 19 Jan. 1706

Robert Williams, of Chippin Campden, & Sarah Dide, of Dracott, 9 Feb. 1706

John Grimmett & Elizabeth Mosely, both of Broad Campden, 5 Sept. 1708

Thomas White & Elizabeth Jilks, both of Chipping Campden, 16 Oct. 1709

John Marshal, of Willersey, & Sarah Tiner, 27 Dec. 1712

Thomas Standfield & Martha Tyner, 12 July 1713

Richard Greening & Sarah Cooper, both of Chipping Campden, 27 Oct. 1713

William Chapman, of Campden, & Mary Challingworth, 2 May 1714

Robert Smith of Chipping Campden, & Eleanor Sansom, 21 Apr. 1715

William Burman & Eliz. Bates, 3 Oct. 1715

John Godsoe & Lucy Tomlins, 4 Oct. 1715

Samuel Tims & Mary Griffin, 13 Oct. 1715

Rutter Tuffely & Catherine Hurlstone, both of Ilmington, 8 Jan. 1715/16

Benjamin Gould, of Campden, & Ann Harris, of Hidcoat, 3 May 1716

Robert Tracy & Ann Smith, both of Chipping Campden, 23 Sept. 1716

Charles Leonard & Joane Johnsons, both of Chipping Campden, 11 Oct. 1718

Edward Asteley, rector of Welford, & Mary Metford, of Mickleton, 10 Mar. 1718

Thomas Hitchcocks, of Boreton on ye Hill, & Mary Kerby, of Moreton Inmarsh, 7 Oct. 1719

Robert Harlock, this p., & Eliz. Stupps, of Bromsgrove, co. Wigorn., m. by Mr. Dean, 29 Dec. 1719

[End of Volume I.]

Source: Gloucestershire Parish Register. Marriages. Edited by W. P. W. Phillimore, M.A., B.C.L., Vol. III. Issued to the Subscribers by Phillimore & Co., 36, Essex Street, Strand, London. 1898.

Aston Subedge Gloucestershire Marriages Out of Parish

Below is a list of people who were from Aston Subedge but who were married in another parish.

John Schreeves, of Aston Subedge, co. Gloucester, & Ann Mealen, lic. ... 18 Oct. 1767 at North & Middle Littleton, Worcestershire.

Thomas Batchelor, of Aston Subedge, & Sarah Jelfs 13 Oct. 1777 at North & Middle Littleton, Worcestershire.

Poll Books

Poll Book 1834, Aston Subedge Gloucestershire - Google Books

Transcriptions

Poll Book 1834, Aston Subedge Gloucestershire

Below are the names of those that voted in the election of August 1834 between Christopher William Codrington, Esquire, and Charles Hanbury Tracy Leigh, Esquire.

Poll Book of the Election, August 1834 for the Eastern Division of the County of Gloucester.

Campden Polling District

Aston Subedge Parish

NameResidenceQualificationWhere Situate
Gardner JosephAston Subedgefreehold landAston Subedge
Gardner Williamditto50l. renterditto
Gardner Johndittofreehold landditto
Wheatley Johndittofreehold house &cditto

Directories

Aston Subedge Morris Gloucestershire Directory 1876

Aston-sub-Edge is a village and parish in Evesham union, Worcestershire, containing by the census of 1861, 128, and in 1871, 136 inhabitants, with 702 acres of land; in the deanery of Campden, archdeaconry of Gloucester, diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, Kiftsgate hundred, East Gloucestershire; 2 ½ miles south-east from Honeybourne Station on the Oxford, Worcester, and Wolverhampton Railway; 1 ½ south-west from Chipping Campden, 7 south-east from Evesham, 31 north-east from Gloucester, and 90 from London. The rectory, in the incumbency of the Rev. R. F Watson, M.A., is valued at £275 per annum, and is in the patronage of the Earl of Harrowby. There is a school for children of both sexes, supported entirely by the Earl of Harrowby, who is lord of the manor and chief owner of the soil. This parish is noted for the productiveness of its cherry orchards. The rateable value of this parish is £1838.

Trades and Professions

Bates Henry, farmer and fruiterer

Coldicott William, farmer, Manor farm

Dyde Wm., blacksmith and shopkeeper

Gardner Joseph, farmer

Gardner William, fruiterer

Ladbrook John, butcher and parish clerk

Plested John, bricklayer

Smith Charles Henry, farmer

Stanley Samuel, farmer, Glebe farm

Letters through Campden, which is the nearest money order office. Box cleared at 4.20 p.m.

Parochial School – Mrs. Hannah Plested, mistress

Source: Morris & Co.’s Commercial Directory & Gazetteer of Gloucestershire with Bristol and Monmouth. Second Edition. Hounds Gate, Nottingham. 1876.

Aston Subedge Kellys Gloucestershire Directory 1863

Aston Subedge is a small village and parish, 2½ miles from Honeybourne station on the West Midland line of railway, 31 from Gloucester, 7 from Evesham, 1 mile and a half from Campden, and about 90 miles north-west from London, in the upper division of the hundred of Kiftsgate, rural deanery of Campden, archdeaconry of Gloucester, bishopric of Gloucester and Bristol, and union and county court district of Evesham. The church of St. Andrew is a small stone building, having a nave, aisle, and tower with 1 bell; the rector is the Rev. John Besly, D.C.L., vicar of Long Benton, near Newcastle-upon-Tyne; the curate is the Rev. S. F. Hiron, B.A., head master of Campden Grammar school. The population in 1861 was 128; the acreage of the parish is 702; rateable value, £1,200.

The Earl of Harrowby is the principal landowner. The soil is strong clay and loamy. The crops are wheat and beans.

Gardner Mr. Joseph

Commercial

Coldicott William, farmer

Dyde Richard, blacksmith & shopkeepr

Gardner John, farmer & landowner

Roberts Henry, cattle dealer

Stanley Samuel, farmer

Letters are received through Broadway post office from Cheltenham. Campden is the nearest money order office.

Parochial School, Mrs. Lydia Barnett, mistress.

Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire, Herefordshire, Shropshire and the City of Bristol, Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1863.

Aston Subedge Kellys Gloucestershire Directory 1856

Aston Subedge is a township, small village, and parish, 3 miles from Church Honeybourne station on the Oxford, Worcester, and Wolverhampton line of railway, 31 from Gloucester, 7 from Evesham, 4 from Campden, and about 90 north-west from London, in the upper division of the Hundred of Kiftsgate, and bishopric of Gloucester and Bristol, and Union of Evesham.  The church is a small stone building, having a tower, nave, and aisle, and 1 bell; the Rev. Henry Cooper is the curate.  The population, in 1851, was 132.  The acreage contained in the parish is 702 acres, of the rateable value of £1,200.  Lady Steele is lady of the manor.

Garner Mrs.

Smith Mrs.

Traders

Baites Henry, shopkeeper

Dyde Richard, shopkeeper

Garner John, farmer

Roberts Henry, cattle dealer

Stanley Samuel, farmer

Letters are received through Broadway, which is also the nearest money order office.

Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire with Bath and Bristol.  Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., 19, 20 & 21, Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1856.

Administration

  • County: Gloucestershire
  • Civil Registration District: Evesham
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Post 1835 - Gloucester and Bristol, Pre 1836 - Gloucester
  • Rural Deanery: Campden
  • Poor Law Union: Evesham
  • Hundred: Kiftsgate
  • Province: Canterbury