Aston Somerville is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire.
Parish church: St Mary
Parish registers begin: 1668
Parishes adjacent to Aston Somerville
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
Aston-Somerville, a parish in the district of Evesham and county of Gloucester; on the river Isborne, 4 miles S by E of Evesham r. station. Post Town, Broadway. Acres, 993. Real property, £1,475. Pop., 105. Houses, 21. The manor has been held, for upwards of six centuries, by the family of Somerville; of whom were William Somerville, the poet, author of “The Chase,” and Lord Somerville, the distinguished agriculturist, who died in 1819. A salt spring occurs, and interesting fossils have been found. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £272. Patron, Lord Somerville. The church is very good.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Aston-Somerville, 5 m. N. Winchcomb. P. 89
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1840
Aston-Somerville, a parish in the lower division of the hund. of Kiftsgate, union of Evesham, Gloucestershire; 4 miles south by east from Evesham; on a branch of the Avon. Living, a rectory in the archd. of Gloucester and dio. of Gloucester and Bristol; rated at £9 3s. 4d.; gross income £277. Patron, in 1835, Lord Somerville. This manor has remained in the family of Somerville for upwards of six centuries. Lord Somerville, the distinguished agriculturist, was buried here in 1819. Pop., in 1801, 87; in 1831, 103. Houses 18. Acres 1 ,320. A. P. £2,440. No levy of poor rates in 1837
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1840.
Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland 1833
Aston-Somerville, co. Gloucester.
P. T. Evesham (99) 4 m. S b E. Pop. 110.
A parish in the lower division of Kiftsgate hundred; living, a rectory in the archdeaconry and diocese of Gloucester; charged in K. B. 9l. 3s. 4d.; patron (1829) Lord Somerville, in whose family this manor has remained for upwards of six centuries.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland by John Gorton. The Irish and Welsh articles by G. N. Wright; Vol. I; London; Chapman and Hall, 186, Strand; 1833.
Marriages at Aston Somerville 1661 to 1812
Gloucestershire Parish Registers. Marriages. Edited by W. P. W. Phillimore, M.A., B.C.L., Vol IV. Issued to the Subscribers by Phillimore & Co., 124, Chancery Lane, London. 1900.
Author: Phillimore, W. P. W. (William Phillimore Watts), 1853-1913, ed; Blagg, Thomas Matthews
Note. – The earliest Register now remaining is a parchment volume, measuring about 13 by 11 inches, and containing 15 pages. The second volume of papers contains the Marriages from 1754 to 1812. The Marriages were abstracted by the Rev. J. Harvey Bloom, M.A., Rector of Whitchurch, and are printed by permission of the Rev. S. F. Whitehead, Rector.
Aston Somerville Marriages 1759 to 1812
Henry Williams, of Child’s Wickham, & Mary Phillips, 12 July 1759
Richard Hall & Hannah Tomlinson, 23 Mar. 1762
Edmund Hopkins & Elizabeth Holmes, 1 Mar. 1764
William Palmer & Thedosia Paddock, 13 Oct. 1768
John Clark, p. of Lenchwic, co. Worc., & Ann Farr, 11 Oct. 1769
Henry Tomlins, of Buckland, & Ann Hale, 8 Jan. 1770
John Sollis, of Child’s Wickham, & Elizabeth Gibbs, 23 Apr. 1770
James Nott & Nelly Wallis, 13 Oct. 1770
George Hemming & Susannah King, 21 Sept. 1772
Richard Bevan, of Dumbleton, & Ann Panter, 4 Oct. 1781
Thomas Handy & Mary Harrison, 7 Apr. 1788
John Green, of Didbrook, & Mary Goddard, lic., 11 Mar. 1789
John Candall & Betty Mealing, 25 Oct. 1791
Wm. Barnes & Elizabeth Hughes, lic., 23 Jan. 1793
Wm. Taylor, of Badsey, & Elizabeth Palmer, lic., 16 Oct. 1793
Richard Cheshire, of Staunton, & Ann Lloyd, lic., 7 Feb. 1795
Samuel Dobbs, of Breeden [Bredon], & Mary Pearce, lic., 16 May 1796
John Thornet, of Hinton, & Ann Johnson, 21 Aug. 1797
William Smith, of Broadway, & Mary Muslin, 12 Oct. 1797
Joseph Hall, of Dumbleton, & Mary Hall, 21 June 1804
Edward Smith, of Child’s Wickham, & Eliz. Saunders, 11 Oct. 1805
John Haywood & Lucy Kinott, 10 Nov. 1805
James Standford & Hannah Panter, 24 Nov. 1805
Joseph Handy & Elizabeth Clarke, 6 May 1806
Thomas James, of Kineton, & Rebecca Johnson, lic., 17 Mar. 1807
John Dallaway & Elizabeth Goddard, 25 Apr. 1808
Richard Hands & Mary Kilby, 27 Mar. 1809
John Hall & Ann Burrows, 16 July 1810
Thomas Saunders & Mary Southam, 10 Oct. 1810
John Standeford, of Buckland, & Mary Jones, lic., 19 may 1811
John Ward, w., & Mary Davis, 17 Feb. 1812
Thomas Standing & Mary Williams, 12 Oct. 1812
Source: Gloucestershire Parish Register. Marriages. Edited by W. P. W. Phillimore, M.A., B.C.L., Vol IV. Issued to the Subscribers by Phillimore & Co., 36, Essex Street, Strand, London. 1898.
Aston Somerville Marriages 1700 to 1753
James Stephen, of Child’s Wickham, & Sarah Perkins, 21 July 1700
John Kinman, of Cow Honiborn, & Meryal Stait, 29 Jan. 1701
Thos. Keyt, of Broadway, & Anne Parry, 3 Aug. 1704
John Bromhill, of Dumbleton, & Elizabeth Milles, 1 July 1708
Robert Davyes, of Burford & Hannah Mason, 16 Feb. 1708
Isaac Griffin, of Wormington, & Hannah Pelly, – 1710
Timothy Deaves, of Winchcomb, & Susannah Wootton, 19 Oct. 1713
Thomas Daffern & Hester Wootton, 26 Apr. 1714
William Stafford & Margaret Roberts, 2 Oct. 1719
William Pale & Mary Bird, 1 Apr. 1722
Edward Lightfoot & Mary Loveday, both of Child’s Wickham, 4 July 1725
John Phipps, of Evesham, & Mary Parry, of Child’s Wickham, lic., 19 May 1727
William Reeve, of Wormington, & Mary Surmon, 10 Feb. 1727
William Woodward, of Aberton, co. Worc., & Esther Martin, of Mercoat, lic., 21 Sept. 1729
Mark Tomlins & Anne White, lic., 12 July 1730
William Reeve, of Mercoat, & Olive Prescot, of Crowle, co. Worc., lic., 17 Sept. 1730
William Daffern, w., & Sarah Tayler, of Child’s Wickham, 8 Jan. 1730
Thomas Edwin, of Norton, co. Worc., & Elizabeth Marten, of Mercoat, 8 Feb. 1730
William Rooke & Isabell Freeman, 28 Nov. 1731
Edward Smith & Mary Weyman, – 1732
Daniel Clements, of Moore, & Hannah Smith, 10 Dec. 1732
Thomas Bach & Hester Merris, 21 Apr. 1734
John Paddock & Alice Hyerne, lic., 23 Oct. 1734
Phillip Gibbs & Abigail Tusten, b., of Wormington, lic., 5 Oct. 1735
James Fisher, of Child’s Wickham, & Mary Compton, of Ashton Underhill, lic., 24 Jan. 1735
Richard Care & Sarah Veale, b., of Wormington, lic., 30 Oct. 1737
John Mumford & Mary Harris, 25 Dec. 1738
Henry Bowten & Hannah Gilks, – 1739
Richard Ganher & Ann Stafford, 5 Oct. 1742
John Reynolds, rector, & Joyce Winde, m. at Farmcote Chapell in Lower Guiting, lic., 27 Nov. 1742
Richard Cox & Mary Wooton, b., of Buckland, 6 Nov. 1745
John Fisher & Elizabeth Burman, of Buckland, 23 Dec. 1745
John Cull & Hannah Mason, of Buckland, 27 Dec. 1745
John Read & Ann Winde, lic., 18 Sept. 1747
James Mins & Hannah Cotton, 1 Dec. 1747
Robert Atkins & Ann Farmer, 6 Oct. 1747
Charles Heuse & Elizabeth Harris, 17 Feb. 1747
Richard Cull & Hannah Griffen, of Dumbleton, 19 Sept. 1748
John Baylis & Mary Miller, 9 May 1748
Thomas Daffan & Margaret Cooke, of Laverton, lic., 13 Sept. 1749
William Dyer & Ann Hopkins, of Dumbleton, lic., 17 Feb. 1749
William Gardner & Sarah Bub, of Dumbleton, 5 May 1750
Henry Clayton & Christian Sadler, 8 Oct. 1750
Cornelius Steel & Jane Turner, 3 Sept. 1751
Mathew Ven & Ann Mathews, 6 Oct. 1751
Johnathan Hull & Anne Dunn, 21 Oct. 1752
William Freeman & Elizabeth Mathews, 8 Jan. 1753
George Brookes & Mary Arkel, 5 Aug. 1753
Source: Gloucestershire Parish Register. Marriages. Edited by W. P. W. Phillimore, M.A., B.C.L., Vol. IV. Issued to the Subscribers by Phillimore & Co., 36, Essex Street, Strand, London. 1898.
Poll Book 1834, Aston Somerville Gloucestershire
Below are the names of those that voted in the election of August 1834 between Christopher William Codrington, Esquire, and Charles Hanbury Tracy Leigh, Esquire. For more information see Poll Book 1834.
Poll Book of the Election, August 1834 for the Eastern Division of the County of Gloucester.
Campden Polling District
Aston Somerville Parish
|Crowther William||Aston Somerville||50l. renter||Aston Somerville|
Aston Somerville Morris Gloucestershire Directory 1876
Aston Somerville is a parish in Evesham union, containing by the census of 1861, 105, and in 1871, 151 inhabitants, and 993 acres; in the deanery of Campden, archdeaconry of Gloucester, diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, East Gloucestershire ; 4 miles south-west from Broadway, 5 south from Evesham Station, 24 from Gloucester, and 93 north-west from London. The rectory, in the incumbency of the Rev. George Head. M.A., is valued at £370 per annum, with residence, and is in the patronage of John Whitehead, Esq., who is also lord of the manor and chief landowner. The church, supposed to be dedicated to St. Lawrence, consists of chancel, nave, and tower, with two bells. There is a school for children of both sexes, supported by John Whitehead, Esq.
Clergy and Gentry
Head Rev. George, M.A. I The Rectory
Whitehead John, Esq., Somerville Aston house
Trades and Professions
Harris John, nailmaker and bellhanger
Lax Robert, farmer, Lower farm
Munden Robert, village schoolmaster
Stephens James, blacksmith
Whitehead and Austin, farmers, Upper farm
Whitehead John, yeoman, Somerville Aston house
Letters through Broadway, which is also the nearest money order office. Letter box cleared at 5 p.m. on week-days only.
Village School – Robert Munden, master
Source: Morris & Co.’s Commercial Directory & Gazetteer of Gloucestershire with Bristol and Monmouth. Second Edition. Hounds Gate, Nottingham. 1876.
Aston Somerville Kellys Gloucestershire Directory 1863
Aston Somerville is a village and parish, 5 miles from Evesham station on the Oxford, Worcester, and Wolverhampton line of railway, 4 from Broadway, 24 from Gloucester, and 93 north-west from London, in the lower division of the hundred of Kiftsgate, Evesham union and county court district, bishopric of Gloucester and Bristol, archdeaconry of Gloucester, and rural deanery of Campden. The church (name unknown) is a stone building, having a chancel, nave and tower with 2 bells; in the church is an ancient stone figure of a knight in armour, supposed to have been one of the Somervilles. The living is a rectory, annual value £272, in the gift of Lord Somerville; the Rev. George Head, M.A., of Trinity College, Cambridge, is the incumbent. The area of the parish is 991 acres; the rateable value, £1,387. Lord Somerville is lord of the manor and principal landowner. The population in 1861 was 165.
Head Rev. George, M.A., Rectory
Crowther William, farmer
Letters are received through Evesham. The nearest money order office is at Broadway.
Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire, Herefordshire, Shropshire and the City of Bristol, Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1863.
Aston Somerville Kellys Gloucestershire Directory 1856
Aston Somerville is a township, village, and parish, 5 miles from Evesham station on the Oxford, Worcester, and Wolverhampton line of railway, 4 from Broadway, 24 from Gloucester, and 93 north-west from London, in the lower division of the Hundred of Kiftsgate, Evesham Union, and bishopric of Gloucester and Bristol. The church is a stone building, having a tower, chancel, nave, and 2 bells. The living is a rectory, of the value of £272 per year, in the gift of Lord Somerville; the Rev. George Head, M.A., is the present incumbent. The acreage contained in the parish is 901 acres, and the rateable value £1,387. Lord Somerville is lord of the manor. The population, in 1851, was 80.
Head Rev. George, M.A. Rectory
Crowther William, farmer
Letters are received through Evesham. The nearest money order office is at Broadway.
Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire with Bath and Bristol. Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., 19, 20 & 21, Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1856.
- County: Gloucestershire
- Civil Registration District: Evesham
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Post 1835 – Gloucester and Bristol, Pre 1836 – Gloucester
- Rural Deanery: Campden
- Poor Law Union: Evesham
- Hundred: Kiftsgate
- Province: Canterbury
- Polling District: Campden