Ashton under Hill Gloucestershire Family History Guide

Ashton under Hill is a chapelry of Beckford Ancient Parish in Gloucestershire.

Church: St Barbara

Registers begin: 1596

Nonconformists in Ashton under Hill include: Independent/Congregational and Wesleyan Methodist.

Parishes adjacent to Ashton under Hill

Historical Descriptions

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

Ashton-Under-Hill, a parish in the district of Evesham, and county of Gloucester; on the Ashchurch and Evesham railway, with a r. station, 5 miles SW of Evesham. Post Town, Beckford, under Tewkesbury. Acres, 1,300. Real property, £2,475. Pop., 411. Houses, 93. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to the vicarage of Beckford, in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850

Ashton-under-Hill, 6 miles N.E. Tewkesbury. P. 342

Source: Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.

The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1840

Ashton-Under-Hill, a chapelry in the parish of Beckford, Gloucestershire; 5 miles south-west of Evesham. Living, a curacy in the archd. of Gloucester and dio. of Gloucester and Bristol, annexed to the vicarage of Beckford. Pop., in 1801, 305; in 1831, 291. Houses 70. Acres 1,300. A. P. £1,857. Poor rates, in 1837, £122.

Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1840.

Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland 1833

Ashton-Under-Hill, co. Gloucester.

P. T. Evesham (99) 5 m. S. Pop. 301.

A chapelry in the parish of Beckford, partly in the hundred of Tewkesbury, upper division, and partly in that of Tibaldstone. The living is a perpetual curacy in the archdeaconry and diocese of Gloucester, annexed to the vicarage of Beckford; church ded. to St. Barbara.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland by John Gorton. The Irish and Welsh articles by G. N. Wright; Vol. I; London; Chapman and Hall, 186, Strand; 1833.

Parish Records

FamilySearch - Birth Marriage & Death records, Census, Migration & Naturalization, and Military records - Free

Directories

Ashton under Hill Morris Gloucestershire Directory 1876

Ashton-under-Hill (or Underhill) is a village and parish in Evesham union, containing, by the census of 1861, 411, and in 1871, 457 inhabitants, with 1551 acres of land; in the deanery of Campden, archdeaconry of Gloucester, diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, partly in the upper portion of Tewkesbury hundred, and partly in Tibaldstone hundred, East Gloucestershire; 6 miles south-west from Evesham, and 7 ½ north-east from Tewkesbury, on the Ashchurch and Evesham Railway, which has a station here. The living is a chapelry annexed to the vicarage of Beckford, jointly valued at £400 per annum, and is in the patronage and incumbency of the Rev. Joseph Harrison, LL.B. The church, dedicated to St. Barbara, consists of nave, chancel, north aisle and porch, with tower containing five bells. The rateable value of this parish is £3247.

Gentry

Baldwyn Mr. John

Baldwyn Mr. Thomas

Baldwyn William, Esq.

Heeks Mr. Jonathan

Trades and Professions

Attwood William Henry, butcher

Baldwyn John, farmer

Baldwyn William, yeoman

Carter John, blacksmith

Clements John, tailor and shopkeeper

Cotton Benjamin, parish clerk

Cull Joseph, stationmaster

Drinkwater David, farmer

Heeks Thomas, beer retailer

Higgins Joseph, dairyman

Hook William, shopkeeper

Miles Joseph, wheelwright

New Mrs. Julia, farmer

Panting John, farmer

Pearce Joseph, farmer, Great house

Peart George, fruiterer

Smith Herbert, farmer

Smith Joseph, beer retailer

Letters through Tewkesbury, which is the nearest money order office. Box cleared at 3.45 p.m. on week-days only.

Midland Railway Station – Joseph Cull, stationmaster

Source: Morris & Co.’s Commercial Directory & Gazetteer of Gloucestershire with Bristol and Monmouth. Second Edition. Hounds Gate, Nottingham. 1876.

Ashton-under-Hill Kellys Gloucestershire Directory 1863

Ashton-under-Hill is a village and parish, 7½ miles north-east from Tewkesbury, and 6 south-west from Evesham station, partly in Upper Tewkesbury and partly in Tibbaldstone hundreds, Evesham union and county court district, East Gloucestershire, rural deanery of Campden, archdeaconry of Gloucester, and bishopric of Gloucester and Bristol, situated on the river Carrant, which rises in the parish. The church of St. Barbara consists of a nave, small north aisle, porch, chancel, and square tower with 5 bells; in the Interior are several mural tablets to the Baldwyn family. The register dates from 1586. The living is a chapelry, annexed to the vicarage of Beckford, joint annual value £400, in the gift of and held by the Venerable John Timbrill, D.D., archdeacon of Gloucester, and rector of Dursley, who was instituted in 1797. Near the church is an ancient stone cress with sun-dial. Here are a Sunday school and National school, partly endowed with £200 and partly supported by subscription. The chief landowners are Mr. William Henry Baldwyn, Mrs. S. Baldwyn, and Mr. Herbert New. The population in 1861 was 411; the area is 1,632a. 16p.; rateable value, £2,385 2s. 7d. A branch rail road from Ashchurch to Evesham runs through the parish.

Parish Clerk, Benjamin Cotton.

Baldwyn Mrs

Baldwyn Mr. Thomas

Baldwyn William, esq

Heeks Mr. Jonathan

Lambert Rev. Richard Joseph F. B. A [curate]

COMMERCIAL

Abell Hannah (Mrs.), farmer

Baldwyn Ann (Mrs.), farmer

Baldwyn William, landowner & farmer

Carter John, blacksmith

Clements John, tailor & shopkeeper

Drinkwater David, farmer

Dunn Thomas, baker

Heekes John, farmer

Heeks Thomas, beer retailer

Miles Joseph, wheelwright

New Joseph, farmer

Panting John, farmer

Smith Joseph, beer retailer

Workman Edmund, shopkpr. & butcher

Letters received through Tewkesbury, which is the nearest money order office; letter box cleared at 3.15 p.m.

Registrar of Births Deaths & Relieving Officer, Thomas Marshall, Evesham.

National School, Miss Elizabeth Shepherd, mistress

Carrier. - Taylor, to Evesham, mon.; to Cheltenham, sat.

Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire, Herefordshire, Shropshire and the City of Bristol, Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1863.

Ashton-under-Hill Kellys Gloucestershire Directory 1856

Ashton-under-Hill is a township, village, and parish 7 ½ miles north-east from Tewkesbury, and 6 south-west from Evesham station, partly in Upper Tewkesbury, and partly in Tibbaldstone Hundreds, Evesham Union, East Gloucestershire, archdeaconry of Gloucester, and bishopric of Gloucester and Bristol, situated on the river Carrant, which rises in this parish.  The church of St. Barbara consists of nave, small north aisle, porch, chancel, and square tower with 5 bells; in the interior are several mural tablets to the Baldwin family.  Ashton-under-Hill is a chapelry annexed to Beckford.  Here is a Sunday school, and a day school in summer, partly endowed with £200, and partly supported by subscription.  Near the church is an ancient stone cross with sun-dial.  The chief landowners are Thos. Wakeman, Esq., Mr. William Henry Baldwin, Mrs. S. Baldwin and Mr. Herbert New.  Population, in 1851, 396; acreage, 1,300

Traders

Abell William, farmer

Baldwin Mary (Mrs.), farmer

Carter Edward, blacksmith

Clements John, tailor

Cotton Benjamin, parish clerk

Drinkwater David, farmer

Dunn Thomas, baker

George Edmund, farmer

Goodall William, beer retailer

Heeks John, farmer

Heeks Jonathan, beer retailer

Heeks Thomas, beer retailer

Mansell William, wheelwright

Powell Matilda (Miss), ladies’ school

Rogers Thomas, carrier

Workman Edmund, shopkpr. & butcher

Letters received through Tewkesbury, which is also the nearest money order office.

Registrar of Births & Death, & Relieving Officer, William Wadams, Evesham.

Parish Clerk, Benjamin Cotton

Carrier – Rogers, to Evesham, Monday; Tewkesbury, Wednesday, & Worcester, Saturday.

Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire with Bath and Bristol.  Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., 19, 20 & 21, Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1856.

Genuki

Administration

  • County: Gloucestershire
  • Civil Registration District: Evesham
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Gloucester and Bristol
  • Rural Deanery: Campden
  • Poor Law Union: Evesham
  • Hundred: Tibaldstone
  • Province: Canterbury