Ashleworth Gloucestershire Family History Guide

Table of Contents

Ashleworth is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire.

Alternative names: Ashelworth, Escelenorde

Parish church: St. Andrew

Parish registers begin: 1566

Nonconformists include:

Parishes adjacent to Ashleworth

Historical Descriptions

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

ASHELWORTH, or Ashleworth, a parish in the district and county of Gloucester; at a ferry on the river Severn, 5 miles N of Gloucester r. station. It has a post office under Gloucester. Acres, 1,710. Real property, £3,710. Pop., 547. Houses, 136. The property is subdivided. Ashelworth House is an old seat of the Haywards. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £280. Patron, the Bishop of Gloucester and Bristol. The church is early English, and has a tower and spire. There are a national school, a police station, and some charities.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851

Ashelworth, a parish in a detached portion of the upper division of the hund. of Berkeley, union of Gloucester, county of Gloucester; 5½ miles north from Gloucester. Living, a discharged vicarage in the archd. of Gloucester and dio. of Gloucester and Bristol; rated at £10 2s. 11d.; gross income £187. Patron, the bishop of Bristol. The church consists of a nave, aisle, and two chancels, with a tower and spire. The great and small tithes, the property of the bishop of Bristol and the vicar, were commuted in 1797. There are two daily schools in the parish. It is bounded on the south-east by the Severn, which is here navigable. Charities to the poor of the parish £30 per annum. Pop., in 1801, 476; in 1831, 540. Houses 88. Acres 1,710. A. P. £2,727. Poor rates, in 1837, £152.

Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.

Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850

Ashelworth [sic], 6 m. N. Gloucester. P. 594

Source: Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.

Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland 1833

Ashelworth, co. Gloucester.

P.T. Gloucester (104) 5½ to. N b W. Pop. 498.

A parish in the hundred of Berkeley, upper division; living, a dis. vicarage in the archdeaconry and diocese of Gloucester; val. in K. B. 10l. 2s. 11d.; church ded. to St. Andrew; patron, the Bishop of Bristol.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland by John Gorton. The Irish and Welsh articles by G. N. Wright; Vol. I; London; Chapman and Hall, 186, Strand; 1833.

Parish Records

FamilySearch - Birth Marriage & Death Census Migration & Naturalization Military Probate & Court

Directories

Ashleworth Morris Gloucestershire Directory 1876

 Ashleworth (formerly Escelenorde), is a parish and village in Gloucester union, containing, by the census of 1861, 547, and in 1871, 564 inhabitants, and 1650 acres; in the deanery and archdeaconry of Gloucester, diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, hundred of Berkeley, East Gloucestershire; 7 miles east from Newent, 8 south-west from Tewkesbury, 5 north-west from Gloucester, 14 from Malvern, and 10 north-west from Cheltenham. The church, dedicated to St. Andrew, consists of nave, north transept, south aisle, and two chancels, with a tower and spire, chiefly in the later English style. The north, or vicar’s chancel, contains a beautiful stained glass window at the east end, by Gibbs, of London, in memory of the parents of Mr. and Miss Colchester, the representatives of a family of considerable antiquity in the place. On the north side of the same chancel there are two other stained glass windows by the same artist, in memory of the wife and daughter of the present incumbent. The rectory, in the incumbency of the Rev. Henry Adams Surgeson Attwood, M.A., F.R.A.S., is valued at £280 per annum, with residence, and is in the patronage of the Bishop of Gloucester and Bristol. The rectory house, pleasantly situated on a rising ground about half-a-mile from the parish church, has a fine view of the surrounding country. There is a National School for children of both sexes. The old manor house, or court, is now used as a farmhouse, in the occupation of Mr. William Henry Clarke, and was formerly a cell of the Augustine Priory at Bristol, and here several of the brethren lived; many portions show considerable antiquity. The old vicarage affords a peculiarly fine specimen of woodwork. An eminence on the north-eastern extremity of the parish, called Barrow Hill, is remarkable for its extensive and panoramic view; it is the freehold property of the Rev. R. B. Baker, of Hasfield Court. The Ecclesiastical Commissioners, who possess the fee simple of nearly the whole of the parish, are the owners of the manorial rights, which were leased to the late Thomas Fulljames, Esq., whose widow is lady of the manor. There are some small charities for the benefit of the poor. The rateable value of the parish is £3556.

Clergy and Gentry

Attwood Rev. Henry Adams Surgeson, M.A.., F.R.A.S., The Rectory

Fulljames Mrs. Caroline, Fosscombe

Fulljames The Misses, Old Vicarage

Fulljames Robert, Esq., Barrow farm

Taylor Mrs. Elizabeth, Lond’s Hill house

Trades and Professions

Arkell Frederick, butcher, farmer, and cattle dealer

Child Thomas, police constable

Clark Edwin, farmer, Old farm

Clarke William Henry, farmer, Ashleworth court

Colchester Stephen M., farmer, Yew Tree house

Davis Henry, tailor

Davis William and John, blacksmiths

Davis William (firm of William and John Davis), carrier

Healing James, shopkeeper and pig dealer

Healing Lewis, baker and grocer

Holloway James, National schoolmaster

Jelf Mrs. Sarah, “Boat”

Jelf William, hay and coal dealer

Jones John, farmer, Colwells farm

Lane Charles, carpenter and wheelwright

Lane John, farmer, Box bush

Lane Thomas, carpenter and wheelwright

Lane William, shoemaker and shopkeeper

Pimbell Walter, beer retailer and hay dealer

Roberts Mrs. Ann, “Queen’s Arms”

Roberts David, farmer, Longridge

Roberts Edwin, coal and hay dealer

Roberts Giles, farmer, Goss farm

Surman Joseph, farmer, Stone Bow farm

Taylor John, farmer, Green

Taylor Minot, farmer, Stream farm

Taylor Sidney, farmer, Lord’s Hill farm

Turk Mrs. Mary, farmer and sub-postmistress

Voyce John, farmer and hay dealer

Voyce William, farmer, The Stream

White George, butcher and farmer, Portobello farm

Post Office – Mrs. Mary Turk, sub-postmistress. Letters from Gloucester arrive at 9.30 a.m.; dispatched at 5.10 p.m. Gloucester is the nearest money order office.

Police Station – Thomas Child, constable in charge

National School – James Holloway, master; Mrs. Matilda Holloway, sewing mistress.

Carriers
Gloucester – William Davis, from his own house, Wed and Sat; and Bartlett, from Hasfield, passes through on Wed & Sat.

Source: Morris & Co.’s Commercial Directory & Gazetteer of Gloucestershire with Bristol and Monmouth. Second Edition. Hounds Gate, Nottingham. 1876.

Ashleworth Kellys Gloucestershire Directory 1863

 Ashelworth [sic], anciently Escelenorde, is a small parish and compact village, 7 miles east from Newent, 8 south-west from Tewkesbury, 10 west from Cheltenham, and 5 north-north-west from Gloucester railway station, in the hundred of Berkeley, from which it is distant 10 miles, Gloucester union, archdeaconry, deanery, petty sessions and county court district, and bishopric of Gloucester and Bristol, East Gloucestershire. The population in 1861 was 547; and its rateable value is about £3,600. The church of St. Andrew consists of a nave, chancel, and south aisle, with a substantial embattled tower containing 6 bells, and surmounted with a stone spire at the west end; it is liable to inundation, from its vicinity to the river Severn. The earliest register, which is in a very perfect state of preservation, bears date 1566. The living is a vicarage, annual value £280, in the gift of the Bishop of Gloucester and Bristol; the incumbent is the Rev. H. A. S. Atwood, M.A., of Queen's College, Oxford. The old manor house, which now bears the name of the Old Vicarage, exhibits marks of great antiquity, and is occupied by William Morris, Esq. The New Vicarage, pleasantly situated here, has a fine view over this and the adjoining parishes, and is occupied by the Rev. H. A. S. Atwood, M.A. The parish contains about 1,650 acres of fertile soil, of which about one-third is in tillage, and the remainder rich pasture and meadow. The soil is chiefly a light loam, but in some parts inclines to sand: a whitish clay stone is to be found not far below the surface. Here is a good school for boys and girls, conducted on the National system; also a police station house. Thomas Fulljames, Esq., of Hasfield Court, is, as lessee to the Ecclesiastical Commissioners, entitled the 'lord farmer,' and is the virtual lord of the manor, There are charities of small annual value.

PRIVATE RESIDENTS

Atwood Rev. H. A. S. M.A., F.R.A.S. New Vicarage

Clark Mr. Edwin

Colchester Stephen, esq

Lane Mr. John, Box bush

Morris William, esq. Old Vicarage

Taylor Mr. John, Green

Taylor Mrs

COMMERCIAL.

Clark Charles, farmer, Foscombe

Clark Edwin, farmer

Clark Wm. farmer, Ashelworth court

Clutterbuck Eliza (Mrs.), farmer, Stone Bow farm

Colchester Stephen, farmer

Cook Mary Ann (Mrs. ),farmr. Longdridge

Davis Emma (Mrs.), blacksmith

Davis Henry, tailor

Hayling Lewis, blacksmith

Hayman George Henry, shopkeeper

Jelf Thomas, Boat

Jelf William, hay dealer

Lake John, bricklayer

Lane John, farmer, Box bush

Lane Thomas, carpenter & wheelwright

Lane William, shoemaker

Longley Henry William, farmer

Oakey Giles, carpenter & wheelwright

Pemberton Jeremiah, tailor

Roberts Ann (Mrs.), Queen's Arms

Roberts Edwin, beer retailer

Roberts Giles, farmer, Goss farm

Roberts Thomas, farmer, Lawn farm

Roberts Wm. farmer, Wickridge street

Taylor Elizabeth (Mrs), farmer

Taylor Frederick, farmer, The Stream

Taylor John, farmer, Green

Taylor Minot, farmer, Stream farm

Voyce John, farmer, The Stream

Voyce John, jun. farmer, Wadleys

Watts Isaac, beer retailer, shopkeeper & carrier

White George, butcher

Post Office. — Mrs. Mary Turk, receiver. Letters arrive from Gloucester at 9.30 a.m.; dispatched thereto at 5 p.m. Gloucester is the nearest money order office

Police Station, Charles Griffin, superintendent

Carriers : —

Cooper, from Tirley to Gloucester, passes through every Wednesday & Saturday, returning same day.

Watts, from his own house to Gloucester, Wednesday & Saturday, returning same day.

Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire, Herefordshire, Shropshire and the City of Bristol, Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1863.

Historical Newspapers

The following newspapers cover the area.

Gloucestershire Newspapers

Cheltenham Chronicle (The British Newspaper Archive)

Cheltenham Examiner (The British Newspaper Archive)

Cheltenham Journal and Gloucestershire Fashionable Weekly Gazette (The British Newspaper Archive)

Cheltenham Looker-On (The British Newspaper Archive)

Cheltenham Mercury (The British Newspaper Archive)

Cirencester Times and Cotswold Advertiser (The British Newspaper Archive)

Gloucester Citizen (The British Newspaper Archive)

Gloucester Journal (The British Newspaper Archive)

Gloucestershire Chronicle (The British Newspaper Archive)

Gloucestershire Echo (The British Newspaper Archive)

Stroud Journal (The British Newspaper Archive)

Stroud News and Gloucestershire Advertiser (The British Newspaper Archive)

Tewkesbury Register, and Agricultural Gazette., The (The British Newspaper Archive)

Wilts and Gloucestershire Standard (The British Newspaper Archive)

Maps

Vision of Britain historical maps

Administration

  • County: Gloucestershire
  • Civil Registration District: Gloucester
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Post 1835 - Gloucester and Bristol, Pre 1836 - Gloucester
  • Rural Deanery: Gloucester
  • Poor Law Union: Gloucester
  • Hundred: Berkeley (Gloucestershire)
  • Province: Canterbury