Ashchurch Gloucestershire Family History Guide

Ashchurch is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire.

Other places in the parish include: Pamington, Fiddington and Natton, Aston-on-Carron, Homedowns and Northway and Newton.

Parish Church: St Nicholas

Parish registers begin: 1558

Nonconformists in Ashchurch include: Baptist and Wesleyan Methodist.

Parishes adjacent to Ashchurch

Historical Descriptions

Ashchurch

The Imperial Gazetteer Of England & Wales 1870

Ashchurch, a parish in Tewkesbury district, Gloucester; on the Bristol and Birmingham railway, at the junction of the Tewkesbury branch, 2 miles E of Tewkesbury. It has a station on the railway; it includes the tythings of Pamington, Fiddington and Natton, Aston-on-Carron, and Northway and Newton; and its Post Town is Tewkesbury. Acres, 4,201. Real property, £11,801. Pop., 771. Houses, 159. The property is much subdivided. There is a mineral spring of similar quality to the waters of Cheltenham. The living. is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £270.* Patron, Rev.N. Williams. The church is later English, with a Norman porch and a pinnacled tower. There are a Wesleyan chapel, a national school, and charities £26. The junction of the Tewkesbury branch railway is at Ashchurch; and a railway from A. to Evesham was formed under an act of 1862.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850

Ashchurch, 6 m. N.E. Tewkesbury. P. 743

Source: Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.

The Parliamentary Gazetteer Of England And Wales 1840

Ashchurch, a parish in the lower division of the hund. and union of Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire; 2 miles east-north-east from Tewkesbury. It contains the tythings of Aston-upon-Carron, Fiddington and Natton, Northway and Newton, and Pamington. Living, a perpetual curacy in the archd. of Gloucester and dio. of Gloucester and Bristol; rated at £23, and in the parliamentary returns at £41 16s.; gross income £50. Patron, in 1835, F. H. Romney. The chapel consists of a nave, chancel, and northern aisle.

Certain tithes of Aston-upon-Carron and Pamington, Homedowns, the property of the impropriators and feoffees of Bredon alms-houses, commuted in 1812. There are four daily schools in the parish. Charities connected with the parish produce £26 yearly. There is a mineral spring here, the water of which is similar to that of Cheltenham. The Tewkesbury branch railway will here join the Birmingham and Gloucester railway. Pop., in 1801, 558; in 1831, 649. Houses 131. Acres 4,240. A P. £7,265. Poor rates, in 1837, £304.

Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1840.

Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland 1833

Ashchurch, co. Gloucester.

P.T. Tewkesbury (163) 1½ m. ENE. Pop. 643.

A parish in the hundred of Tewkesbury lower division; living, a perpetual curacy annexed to that of Tewkesbury, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Gloucester; certified val. 23l.; ann. val. P. R. 41l. 16s.; patron (1829) John Parsons, Esq.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland by John Gorton. The Irish and Welsh articles by G. N. Wright; Vol. I; London; Chapman and Hall, 186, Strand; 1833.

Aston-on-Carron

Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850

Aston-upon-Carron, 2 miles E. Tewkesbury. P. 179

Source: Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.

The Parliamentary Gazetteer Of England And Wales 1840

Aston-On-Carron, a tything in the parish of Ashchurch, Gloucestershire; 4 ¼ miles north-east from Tewkesbury. Pop., in 1801, 149; in 1831, 167. Houses 37. A. P. £1,053.

Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1840.

Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland 1833

Aston-upon-Carron, co. Gloucester.

P. T. Tewkesbury (103) 2 m. E b N. Pop. 166.

A tything in the parish of Ashchurch, in the lower division of the hundred of Tewkesbury.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland by John Gorton. The Irish and Welsh articles by G. N. Wright; Vol. I; London; Chapman and Hall, 186, Strand; 1833.

Fiddington

Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850

Fiddington, 2½ m. Tewkesbury. P. 194

Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850

Natton

IMPERIAL GAZETTEER OF ENGLAND AND WALES CIRCA 1870

Natton, a hamlet in Ashchurch parish, Gloucester; ½ a mile S by E of Ashchurch village.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72]

Northway

Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850

Northway, 13 m. Tewkesbury. P. 230

Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850

Pamington

Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850

Pamington, 2m. Tewkesbury. P. 140

Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850

Parish Records

FamilySearch - Birth Marriage & Death records, Census, Migration & Naturalization, and Military records - Free

Marriages

Marriages at Ashchurch 1555-1837

Marriages at Ashchurch 1555-1837 - UK Genealogy Archives

Ashchurch Marriages 1600 to 1837 - Parishmouse

Directories

Ashchurch Morris Gloucestershire Directory 1876

Ashchurch is a parish in Tewkesbury union, including the hamlets of Aston-upon-Carrant, Fiddington, Natton, Newton, Northway, and Pamington, containing by the census of 1861, 771, and in 1871, 747 inhabitants, with an area of 4268 acres; in the deanery of Winchcomb, archdeaconry of Gloucester, diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, the lower division of Tewkesbury hundred, East Gloucestershire; 2 ½ miles north-east from Tewkesbury, 8 north-west from Winchcomb, 7 north from Cheltenham, 15 south from Worcester, and 128 from London, at the junction of the Tewkesbury and Malvern, and Birmingham and Bristol Railways, and on the main road from Tewkesbury to Winchcomb. The rectory, in the patronage and incumbency of the Rev. Henry Smith-Warleigh, is valued at £321 per annum, with residence. The church dedicated to St. Nicholas, is a large edifice, principally of the 14th century, comprising nave, chancel, north aisle, and porch, with tower containing six bells. There is a school for children of both sexes, under the direction of a School Board. There are charitable bequests amounting to about £25 per annum for the benefit of the poor. Mrs. Evans is lady of the manor. The rateable value of the parish is £9265.

Aston-upon-Carrant is a hamlet and tything of this parish, 2 miles north-east from thence, and 4 north-east from Tewkesbury. The Wesleyans have a place of worship, at Aston Cross.

Fiddington is also a tything and hamlet, 2 miles south, and 2 south-east from Tewkesbury.

Natton is a hamlet of Fiddington tything, half-a-mile south-east from Ashchurch.

Newton is a hamlet adjoining Ashchurch.

Northway is a hamlet and tything 2 miles east from Tewkesbury, and half-a-mile north from Ashchurch.

Pamington is also a hamlet and tything, half-a-mile south-east from Ashchurch, and 2 ½ east from Tewkesbury. C. A. Hay, Esq., is the chief owner of this tything.

Ashchurch.

Clergy and Gentry

James Mr. William Fisher, Walton house

Smith-Warleigh Rev. Henry, The Rectory

Trades and professions

Atkins Thomas, farm bailiff for Mr. Collins

Clements Frederick, farmer and beer retailer, Spa house

Greening William, farmer, Newton

Newman Hy. Long, farmer, Ashchurch farm

Peck George, stationmaster

Aston.

Gentry

Booth Mr. Frederick, Aston Cross

Court Mrs. Ann, The Laurels

Trades and Professions

Creese John, farmer, Aston farm

Drinkwater Thomas, “ Queen’s Head”, Aston Cross

Foort Charles John, farmer

Pullen James, farmer

Smith Thomas, blacksmith

Smith Thomas, farmer

Spiers Wm., miller and farmer, Aston mill

Tombs John, farmer

Walker Job, wheelwright and beer retailer, Aston Cross

Walker William, blacksmith

Wellon William, shopkeeper

Witts Miss Sarah, shopkeeper

Yeend Charles, farmer

Fiddington

Trades and Professions

Creswell Thomas, blacksmith

Day William, farmer

Ford - , farmer

Halling Mrs. Anna, shopkeeper

Hobbs Thomas and William, farmers

Nind Martin, farmer, Yew tree

Peart Hy. Long, farmer, Fiddington house

Pike Aaron, farmer

Smith Joseph, farmer

Walker Henry, farmer, Manor farm

Walker William, beer retailer

Natton

Trades and Professions

Capel George, farmer

Clayton Joseph, farmer

Purser James, farmer

Northway

Brancker John Haughton, Esq., Northway house

Trades and Professions

Cowcher Francis, farmer, Northway farm

Greening John, farmer

Haden Henry, farm bailiff for William Woodward, Esq.

Hoare Henry, miller, Cowfield mill

Hopton William, farmer, Cowfield hall

Morris George, miller

Pamington

Trades and Professions

Clarke Arthur William, farmer

Jackson George, farmer

Jackson Thomas, farmer

Prew Mrs. Elizabeth, shopkeeper

Post Office, Aston Cross – John Sheldon, sub-postmaster. Letters from Tewksbury delivered at 7.20 a.m.; box closes at 5.45 p.m. Tewkesbury is the nearest money order office.

Letter Box at the Station cleared at 5.45 on week-days only. Letters delivered at 7 a.m.

Midland Railway – Geo. Peck, stationmaster.

Board School –

Source: Morris & Co.’s Commercial Directory & Gazetteer of Gloucestershire with Bristol and Monmouth. Second Edition. Hounds Gate, Nottingham. 1876.

Ashchurch Kellys Gloucestershire Directory 1863

Ashchurch is a township, village, large parish, and railway station, comprising the hamlets of Pamington, Aston-upon-Carrant, Fiddington, Northway, Newton, and Natton. It is pleasantly situated on the high road from Tewkesbury to Winchcomb and Stow, and is a station on the Birmingham and Bristol railway, and junction of the Tewkesbury branch, 128 miles from London, 2¼ east-north east from Tewkesbury, 9 south-west from Evesham, and 8 north-west from Winchcomb, in the lower division of the hundred, union and county court district of Tewkesbury, East Gloucestershire, rural deanery of Winchcomb, archdeaconry of Gloucester, and bishopric of Gloucester and Bristol.

The church of St. Nicholas is a large and ancient building, consisting of nave, porch, chancel, north aisle, and square tower, surmounted by four pinnacles and containing 6 bells; the interior has a handsome carved oak screen, and an organ. The living is a perpetual curacy, value £258 yearly, held by the Rev. Henry Parr. The register dates from the year 1555. There is a National school for children of both sexes, erected in 1842. Walton House, the neat residence of George Ruddle, Esq., J.P., stands 1 mile west-by- south from Ashchurch. The population in 1861 was 771; the acreage is 4,268. The soil is principally clay. Thomas Wakeman, Esq., is lord of the manor, and William Woodward, Esq., is the chief landowner. There are charities of £25 yearly value.

Pamington is a tithing, village, and hamlet in the parish of, and half a mile south-east from, Aschurch, and 2½ miles east from Tewkesbury.

Aston-upon-Carrant is a tithing and hamlet in the parish of, and about 1 mile east-north-east from, Ashchurch, and 3 miles north-east from Tewkesbury. Here is a Wesleyan Methodist chapel.

Fiddington is a tithing and hamlet in the parish of, and 1 mile and a half south from, Ashchurch, and 2 miles south east from Tewkesbury.

Northway is a tithing and hamlet in the parish of, and half a mile north from, Ashchurch, and 2 miles north-east from Tewkesbury.

Newton is a hamlet adjoining Ashchurch, in Northway tithing.

Natton Is a hamlet in the parish, half a mile south-by-east from Ashchurch, in Fiddington tithing.

Parish Clerk, James Wasley.

Ashchurch.

Parr Rev. Henry

Ruddle George, esq. j.p. Walton house

Commercial.

Brotheridge Ambrose D. farmer

Greening John , farmer

Greening William, farmer

Peck Thomas, station master

Purser Benjamin, coal merchant, Railway station

Smith Joseph, miller, Cowfield mill

Pamington.

Jackson William, farmer

Osborne Thomas, farmer

Prew Joseph, shopkeeper

Trinder William, farmer

Aston.

Baldwin Bernard, farmer

Barnett William, farmer

Booth Frederick, shopkeeper & wheelwright

Drinkwater Thomas, Queen's Head

Rimel Richard, farmer

Smith George, farmer

Smith Thomas, blacksmith

Spiers William, miller

Tombs John, farmer

Walker Job. carpenter

Walker William, blacksmith

Witts Isaac, farmer

Witts Sarah (Miss), shopkeeper

Yeend Charles, farmer

Fiddington.

Allington Anthony, beer retailer

Cresswell Thomas, blacksmith

Day William, farmer

Grubb Oliver, farmer

Hailing Anna (Mrs.), shopkeeper

Hawkins William, farmer

Hobbs Emma (Mrs.), farmer

Nind Martin F. farmer

Peart Henry Long, farmer

Pike Aaron, farmer

Robins Edwin, farmer

Smith Joseph, farmer

Walker William, beer retailer

Northway.

Kensington Mrs

Woodward Thomas Best, esq. Northway house

Woodward William, esq. Northway house

Commercial.

Greening John, farmer

Hopton William, farmer, Cowfield farm

Morris George, miller

Powell John, farm bailiff to William Woodward, esq

Woodward Thomas Best, land agent

Woodward William, land agent & valuer

Natton.

Capel George, farmer

Clayton Joseph, farmer

Purser Benjamin, farmer

Post Office, Aston-upon-Carrant. — Thomas Pearton, receiver. Letters arrive by foot post from Tewkesbury at 7.30 a.m.; dispatched at 5 p.m. The nearest money order office is at Tewkesbury.

Registrar of Births & Deaths & Relieving Officer, Wm. Brydges, Tewkesbury

Railway Station, Thomas Peck, station master

National School, Mrs. Annie Foskett, mistress

Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire, Herefordshire, Shropshire and the City of Bristol, Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1863.

Ashchurch Kellys Gloucestershire Directory 1856

Ashchurch is a township, village, large parish, and railway station, comprising the hamlets of Pamington, Aston-upon-Carrant, Fiddington, Northway, Newton, and Natton.  Ashchurch is pleasantly situated on the high road from Tewkesbury to Winchcomb and Stow, is a station on the Birmingham and Bristol railway and junction of the Tewkesbury branch, distant 2 miles east-north-east from Tewkesbury, 9 south-west from Evesham, and 8 north-west from Winchcomb, in the lower division of the Hundred and Union of Tewkesbury, East Gloucestershire, archdeaconry of Gloucester, and bishopric of Gloucester and Bristol.  The church is a large and ancient building of various architecture, and consists of nave, porch, chancel, north aisle, and square tower surmounted by 4 pinnacles and containing 6 bells.  The interior has a handsome carved oak screen, also an organ.  The living is a perpetual curacy worth £270 yearly, in the gift and incumbency of the Rev. John Askew, M.A.  There is a national school for children of both sexes, erected in 1842.  Walton House, the neat residence of George Ruddle, Esq., stands 1 mile west-by-south of Ashchurch.  The population in 1851 was 786, and the acreage is 4,201.  The soil is principally clay.  Thomas Wakeman, Esq., is lord of the manor.  Simpson Anderson, Esq., Rev. Charles Martin, and William Woodward, Esq., are the chief landowners.  There are charities of £25 yearly value.

Pamington is a tithing, village, and hamlet in the parish, and half a mile south-east from Ashchurch, and 2 ½ east from Tewkesbury, with a population of 122.

Aston-upon-Carrant is a tithing hamlet in the parish, and about a mile east-north-east from Ashchurch, and 3 north-east from Tewkesbury, with a population of 206.

Fiddington is a tithing hamlet in the parish, and 1 ½ miles south from Ashchurch, and 2 south-east from Tewkesbury, with a population of 244.

Northway is a tithing hamlet in the parish, and half a mile north from Ashchurch, and 2 north-east from Tewkesbury, with a population of 214.

Newton is a hamlet adjoining Ashchurch, in Northway tithing.

Natton is a hamlet in the parish, and half a mile south-by-east from Ashchurch, in Fiddington tithing.

Ashchurch.

Askew Rev. John, M.A.

Ruddle George, esq. Walton house

Traders.

Barnes William, beer retailer

Beck Thomas, station master

Greening William, farmer

Jones Edwin, farmer

Smart James, master of National school

Smart Mary Ann (Mrs.), mistress of National school

Smith Joseph, miller, Cowfield mill

Wasley James, parish clerk

Pamington.

Traders.

Jackson William, farmer

Osborne Thomas, farmer

Trinder William, farmer

Aston.

Traders.

Barnett William, farmer

Booth Frederick, shopkeeper, beer retailer, carpenter & wheelwright

Cox John Lucus, land surveyor, schoolmaster & postmaster

Drinkwater Thomas, beer retailer

Rimel Richard, farmer

Smith Thomas, blacksmith

Spiers William, miller, Aston mill

Tombs John, farmer

Walker Job, carpenter & wheelwright

Walker William, blacksmith

Witts John, corn dealer

Witts William, farmer

Yeend Charles, farmer

Tiddington [sic].

Brotheridge Ambrose, farmer

Brotheridge John, farmer

Day William, farmer

Grubb Oliver, farmer

Hobbs Emma (Mrs.), farmer

Nind Martin, farmer

Peart Henry Long, farmer

Northway.

Woodward William, esq. Northway house

Traders.

Greening John, farmer

Hopton William, farmer, Cowfield farm

Morris George, miller, Northway mill

Woodward William, land agent & valuer

Natton.

Davison Charles, farmer

Purcer Benjamin, farmer

Post Office, Aston-upon-Carrant. – John Lucus Cox, receiver.  Letters arrive by foot from Tewkesbury at 9 a.m.; dispatched at 5 p.m.  The nearest money order office is at Tewkesbury.

Registrar of Births & Death, & Relieving Officer, Wm. Brydges, Tewkesbury.

Parish Clerk, James Wasley

Church, Rev. John Askew, M.A. incumbent

National School, James Smart, master; Mrs. Mary Ann Smart, mistress

Railway Station, Thomas Beck, station master

Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire with Bath and Bristol.  Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., 19, 20 & 21, Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1856.

Family History Links

Genuki

Administration

  • County: Gloucestershire
  • Civil Registration District: Tewkesbury
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Pre 1836 - Gloucester, Post 1835 - Gloucester and Bristol
  • Rural Deanery: Winchcombe
  • Poor Law Union: Tewkesbury
  • Hundred: Tewkesbury
  • Province: Canterbury