Arlingham Kellys Gloucestershire Directory 1863

Arlingham is a township, parish and village, 13 miles south from Gloucester station, 8 from Stonehouse, 5 from Whitminster, in Newnham county court district, Upper Berkeley hundred, Wheatenhurst union, West Gloucestershire, Gloucester rural deanery and archdeaconry, and Gloucester and Bristol bishopric. It is situated on the navigable river Severn. The church of St. Mary is a stone building in the Early English style; it has a tower with 6 bells, nave, porch, chancel, organ, font, and several handsome monuments. The living is a vicarage, value £270 yearly, with residence, in the gift of John Sayer, Esq., who owns the rectorial tithes; the Rev. Thomas Holmes Ravenhill, M.A., of Worcester College, Oxford, is the incumbent. There is a National school for 80 children, endowed by the late John Yate, Esq., with £40 per annum. There is an ancient court-house. The population in 1861 was 693; the acreage is 2,000. The soil is loamy; the subsoil is clayey. R. S. Holford, Esq., M.P., is lord of the manor and chief landowner. There are charities of £40 yearly value; also the interest of £200, left by C. Vale, Esq., for an Infant school and an alternate presentation to the Warwick hospital. The Wesleyans have a chapel here. The Reddings, Barrow Hill, Slowe House, Wick, The Wharf, Upper and Lower Milton End are places here.

Overton is a hamlet, 1 mile and a half distant.

Parish clerk, John Hayward.


Campbell Capt. John, The Reddings

Fryer Miss Elizabeth, Barrow hill

Irving John, esq

Ravenhill Rev. Thomas Holmes, M.A. Vicarage

Sayers John, esq. Slowe house

Watkins Mr. William


Burcher Daniel, farmer

Butt Edward, farmer

Carter John & Giles, fanners, Puckpool farm

Chandler Robert, farmer

Coleman William, farmer

Hayward Samuel, shopkeeper

Hayward Samuel, jun. New inn

Hobbs William, blacksmith

Jeens John, tailor

Jones Charles, bootmaker

Martin Charles, farmer, Wick farm

Merrett Charles, farmer

Merrett Henry, farmer, Wharf farm

Merrett John, farmer

Merrett Martha (Mrs.), farmer

Phillips George, shopkeeper

Phipps William, farmer

Probert Richard, blacksmith

Varney John, Bed Lion, & carrier

Vernon John & Haward, farmers, Lower Milton End farm

Watkins Samuel, beer retailer

Weston Ann (Mrs.), shopkeeper

Wilkinson William, carpenter & wheelwright

Williams Charles, farmer. Slough farm

Wither George, fanner, Upper Milton End farm


Camm Mr. John

Ballinger George, farmer

Browning Charles, farmer

Camm Charles, beer retailer

Hayward Joseph, farmer & beer retailr

Martin Charles, farmer, Wick farm

Pitcher Daniel, farmer

Smith John, farmer

Tooby Matthew, farmer

Post Opfice. — William Bodnum, postmaster. Letters arrive from Stonehouse at 10.30 a.m,; dispatched at 3.30 p.m. The nearest money order office is Newnham.

Public Schools:— National, John Cock, master; Mrs. Elizabeth Cock, mistress

Infant, Mrs. Mary Ann Hobbs, mistress

Carrier to Stroud. — Jones, friday, returning same day

Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire, Herefordshire, Shropshire and the City of Bristol, Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1863.