Apperley is a chapelry of Deerhurst Ancient Parish in Gloucestershire.
Parish church: Holy Trinity
Parish registers begin: See Deerhurst
Nonconformists include: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Moravian/United Brethren, and Wesleyan Methodist.
Parishes adjacent to Apperley
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
APPERLEY-WITH-WHITEFIELD, a hamlet in Deerhurst parish, Gloucester; on the river Severn, 4 miles SW of Tewkesbury. It has a post office under Tewkesbury, and a chapel of ease. Pop., 427.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851
Whitefield with Apperley, a township in the parish of Deerhurst, lower division of the hund. of Westminster, county of Gloucester; 4 miles south-south-west of Tewkesbury. Acres 2,300. Houses 185. Pop., in 1831, 869.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.
Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Apperley, included in Deerhurst, near Tewkesbury.
Source: Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1840
Apperley, a hamlet in the parish of Deerhurst, Gloucestershire; 4 miles south-west from Tewkesbury; near the Severn. Pop., including Whitfield, in 1831, 401.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1840.
Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland 1833
Apperley, co. Gloucester.
P. T. Tewkesbury (103) 4 m. S. Pop. including Whitefield 401.
A hamlet in the parish of Deerhurst and hundred of Westminster.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland by John Gorton. The Irish and Welsh articles by G. N. Wright; Vol. I; London; Chapman and Hall, 186, Strand; 1833.
Birth Marriage and Death Records
Migration and Naturalisation Records
Probate and Court Records
Apperley and Walton Kellys Gloucestershire Directory 1856
Apperley is a large hamlet in Deerhurst parish, and is situate 8 miles north from Gloucester, 6 south-west from Ashchurch station on the Midland railway, 8 north-west from Cheltenham, and 1 ½ from the village of Deerhurst, being in the lower division of the Hundred of Westminster, in the Tewkesbury Union, in East Gloucestershire, in the archdeaconry of Gloucester, deanery of Winchcomb, and in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. It lies on the banks of the Severn, and some parts of it are subject to the inconvenience of occasional inundations. Its soil is of a deep red loam, the greatest part of which is applied to pasture, but varying on the higher grounds. The population, in 1851, was 548, inclusive of Whitefield. Apperley Court, the property and residence of H. E. Strickland, Esq., stands on the elevated spot, and possesses a commanding prospect over the adjacent country.
Wightfield, Grey Hill, and Cook’s Green are farms.
Deerhurst Walton is also a hamlet of Deerhurst, and lies 2 miles east from Apperley, and 6 ½ north-west from Cheltenham. Notcliff, the residence of Joseph Barnard, Esq., is situate here. The Population, in 1851, was 241.
Whitefield, or Wightfield, is a hamlet joined with Apperley.
Strickland H. E. esq. Apperley court
Baylis Joseph, tailor
Brunsdon John, carrier & shopkeeper
Carter John, shopkeeper
Clifford Henry, blacksmith
Clutterbuck James, blacksmith
Crook Henry, farmer
Crump Thomas, farmer, Wightfld. farm
Dipper John, yeoman, Apperley villa
Fluck William, farmer
Hanby James, farmer, Grey hill
Hampton Jesse, shoemaker
Harris John, farmer
Harris William, shoemaker
Heuling Thomas, farmer
Hoare Joseph, relieving officer
Jones Henry, tailor
Jones Samuel, carpenter
Long Samuel, farmer
Newman William, farmer
Powell John, farmer, Cook’s green
Powell Timothy, shoemaker
Robinson Thomas, carpenter
Robinson William, carpenter
Scrivens John, shoemaker
Wells Thomas, carpenter
Barnard Joseph, esq. Notcliff
Dadge Charles, esq.
Lane John, esq.
Crump Paul, farmer
Hatch William, farmer
Hawker Henry, shoemaker
James John, farmer
James John, jun. farmer
Mason William, gardener
Morse Charles, farmer
Morse Charles, gardener
Newman John, farmer
Newman Samuel, farmer
Warder Joseph, farmer & limeburner
Letters through Tewkesbury, which is the nearest money order office.
Brunsdon, to Tewkesbury, every Wednesday, returning same day, & to Gloucester every Saturday, returning same day.
Chamberlain passes through, from Turley to Cheltenham, every Thursday.
Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire with Bath and Bristol. Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., 19, 20 & 21, Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1856.
- County: Gloucestershire
- Civil Registration District: Tewkesbury
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Gloucester and Bristol
- Rural Deanery: Winchcombe
- Poor Law Union: Tewkesbury
- Hundred: Westminster (Gloucestershire)
- Province: Canterbury