Almondsbury

Photo of St Mary's parish church, Almondsbury, South Gloucestershire, seen from the northwest by Adrian Pingstone, Public Domain.

Almondsbury Gloucestershire Family History

Almondsbury is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire.

Other places in the parish include: Gaunts Earthcott, Hempton, Patchway, Lea, Lower Tockington, Over, and Hempton and Patchway.

Parish church: St. Mary

Parish registers begin: 1653

A chapel of ease was erected at the Cross Keys district in 1855.

Nonconformists include: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Wesleyan Methodist, and Wesleyan Methodist Reform.

Schools: A National school for boys and girls and a branch school at Patchway.

Parishes adjacent to Almondsbury

  • Filton
  • Stoke Gifford
  • Alveston
  • Winterbourne
  • Compton Greenfield
  • Frampton Cotterell
  • Henbury
  • Olveston

Historical Descriptions

Almondsbury

THE IMPERIAL GAZETTEER OF ENGLAND & WALES 1870

Almondsbury, a village, a parish, and a subdistrict in the district of Thornbury, Gloucester. The village stands near the rivulet Boyd, at the foot of a ridge of limestone rocks, 1¾ mile from the Bristol and South Wales railway, 8 miles N of Bristol; and has a post office under Bristol. It is said to have derived its name from Alcmond, King Egbert’s father, who was buried in the church, and from a fortification in the neighbourhood. The heights above it, and the grounds of Knole House, adjacent on the SW, command a very noble and extensive view, embracing the estuary of the Severn and the hills of Monmouth and Wales.—The parish includes the tythings of Almondsbury, Lea, Over, Gaunts-Earthcote. Lower Tockington, and Hempton and Patchway. Acres, 6,927. Real property, £15,078. Pop., 1,864. Houses, 394. The property is much subdivided. Some lands belonged anciently to the priory of St. Augustine in Bristol. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £915. Patron, the Bishop of Gloucester and Bristol. The church is cruciform and early English, with tower and spire at the intersection. There are a neat little chapel of ease at Cross Keys, two dissenting chapels, a national school, and charities £255. The sub district comprises six parishes-Acres, 23,087 Pop., 5,233. Houses, 1,084.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

LEONARD’S GAZETTEER OF ENGLAND AND WALES 1850

Almondbury, 4½ miles S.W. Thornbury. P. 1584

Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.

LEWIS TOPOGRAPHICAL DICTIONARY OF ENGLAND 1845

Almondsbury (St. Mary the Virgin), a parish, in the union of Thornbury, comprising the tything of Almondsbury, in the lower division of the hundred of Berkeley, the tythings of Gaunts-Earthcote and Lea, in the Lower division of that of Thornbury, and the tythings of Hempton and Patchway, Over, and Lower Tockington, in the Lower division of the hundred of Langley and Swinehead, W. division of the county of Gloucester; and containing 1584 inhabitants, of whom 603 are in Almondsbury tything, 7 miles (N. by E.) from Bristol. This parish, which is situated near the river Severn, comprises 6927 acres of rich pasture land in good cultivation; sandstone is quarried chiefly for rough building purposes. The village is situated at the foot of a ridge of limestone rocks, in which lead-ore has been found in small quantities, and of which the old roof of Berkeley castle was partly composed; and the views from the heights, along which passes the road from Gloucester to Bristol, are extensive, embracing the whole estuary of the Severn, and the opposite coast of Wales. The living is a discharged vicarage, annexed to the see of Gloucester and Bristol, and valued in the King’s books at £20: the tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £1150. 13. 4., and there are two acres of glebe. The church, situated in that part of the parish which is in the hundred of Berkeley, is a very handsome cruciform structure, in the early English style, with a tower and spire at the intersection; it has been extensively repaired and altered within the last few years, and contains 700 free sittings. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans. Here is a school with a small endowment, bequeathed by the late Mr. John Silcox; and a national school, erected at an expense of £250, is endowed with £30 per annum from lands left by an unknown benefactor for the use of the church, producing £210 per annum. A school is also supported by Mr. Lippincolt; and two cottages and three acres of land were bequeathed by Mr. Jefferies for widows or widowers.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.

THE PARLIAMENTARY GAZETTEER OF ENGLAND AND WALES 1840

Almondsbury, a parish partly in the hund. of Berkeley, partly in that of Langley and Swinehead, and partly in that of Thornbury, Thornbury union, county of Gloucester; 6 miles north-east of Bristol. It comprises the tythings of Almondsbury, Hempton and Patchway, Over with Lower Tockington, and Gaunt’s Earthcote. Living, a discharged vicarage, a peculiar of the bishop of Gloucester and Bristol; rated at £20. The church — a handsome building in the form of a cross, with a tower and spire at the intersection — contains some specimens of Norman architecture. The church-lands in this parish yield a revenue of £235 17s. 10d., part of which is applied to educational purposes, and part given to the poor. There are also some alms-houses, and two small charitable bequests connected with this parish. There are two daily and Sunday National schools here, with about 80 scholars. Pop., in 1801, 1,069; in 1831, 1,492. Houses 239. Acres 6,950. A. P. £13,293. Poor rates, in 1837, £799 The village of Almondsbury is situated near the small stream Boyd, at the foot of a ridge of limestone rocks; 4½ miles south by west of Thornbury. From the heights above, the view is very grand and extensive, embracing the estuary of the Severn and the opposite coast of Wales. This village is said to have derived its name from Alcmond, a West Saxon prince, father of King Egbert, who was buried in the church, and from a fortification in the neighbourhood. There is a daily school here with an endowment of £2 10s. annually. Pop., in 1801, 350; in 1831, 517. Houses 81. Acres 1,900. A. P. £5,045

Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1840.

A TOPOGRAPHICAL DICTIONARY OF GREAT BRITAIN AND IRELAND 1833

Almondsbury, co. Gloucester. P. T. Thornbury (122) 5 m. S b W. Pop. of Pa. 1408. Of Tyth. 477.

A parish and tything, partly in the lower division of the hundred of Berkeley, but mostly in the lower division of the hundred of Langley and Swinehead; the parish including the additional tythings of Hempton and Patchway, and Over and Lower Tockington; living, a dis. vicarage annexed to the see of Bristol; val. in K. B. 20l.; church ded. to St. Mary.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland by John Gorton. The Irish and Welsh articles by G. N. Wright; Vol. I; London; Chapman and Hall, 186, Strand; 1833.

Gaunts Earthcott

LEWIS TOPOGRAPHICAL DICTIONARY OF ENGLAND 1845

Gaunts-Earthcott, a tything, in the parish of Almondsbury, union of Thornbury, Lower division of the hundred of Berkeley, W. division of the county of Gloucester, 5¾ miles (S. by E.) from Thornbury; containing 55 inhabitants.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.

Hempton and Patchway

THE PARLIAMENTARY GAZETTEER OF ENGLAND AND WALES 1851

Hempton and Patchway, a tything in Almondsbury parish; county of Gloucester; 5 miles south-south-west of Thornbury. Acres 1,750. Houses 74. A. P. £2,811. Pop., in 1801, 324; in 1831, 424.

Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.

Lower Tockington

Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850

Tockington (Lower), in Almondsbury parish. P. 440

Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850

Over

Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850

Over, 5 miles N. Bristol. P. 73

Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850

Directories

Kelly's Directory of Gloucestershire 1863 - Google Books

Almondsbury Kellys Gloucestershire Directory 1863
Almondsbury Kellys Gloucestershire Directory 1856

Administration

  • County: Gloucestershire
  • Civil Registration District: Thornbury
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Bristol (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Pre 1836 - Gloucester, Post 1835 - Gloucester and Bristol
  • Rural Deanery: Bristol
  • Poor Law Union: Thornbury
  • Hundred: Berkeley (Gloucestershire); Langley and Swinehead; Thornbury
  • Province: Canterbury
  • Petty Sessional Division:
  • Couty Court District: Thornbury