Almondsbury Gloucestershire Family History Guide

Almondsbury is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire.

Other places in the parish include: Gaunts Earthcott, Hempton, Patchway, Lea, Lower Tockington, Over, and Hempton and Patchway.

Parish church: St. Mary

Parish registers begin: 1653

A chapel of ease was erected at the Cross Keys district in 1855.

Nonconformists include: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Wesleyan Methodist, and Wesleyan Methodist Reform.

Schools: A National school for boys and girls and a branch school at Patchway.

Table of Contents

Parishes adjacent to Almondsbury

Historical Descriptions

Almondsbury

THE IMPERIAL GAZETTEER OF ENGLAND & WALES 1870

Almondsbury, a village, a parish, and a subdistrict in the district of Thornbury, Gloucester. The village stands near the rivulet Boyd, at the foot of a ridge of limestone rocks, 1¾ mile from the Bristol and South Wales railway, 8 miles N of Bristol; and has a post office under Bristol. It is said to have derived its name from Alcmond, King Egbert's father, who was buried in the church, and from a fortification in the neighbourhood. The heights above it, and the grounds of Knole House, adjacent on the SW, command a very noble and extensive view, embracing the estuary of the Severn and the hills of Monmouth and Wales.—The parish includes the tythings of Almondsbury, Lea, Over, Gaunts-Earthcote. Lower Tockington, and Hempton and Patchway. Acres, 6,927. Real property, £15,078. Pop., 1,864. Houses, 394. The property is much subdivided. Some lands belonged anciently to the priory of St. Augustine in Bristol. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £915. Patron, the Bishop of Gloucester and Bristol. The church is cruciform and early English, with tower and spire at the intersection. There are a neat little chapel of ease at Cross Keys, two dissenting chapels, a national school, and charities £255. The sub district comprises six parishes-Acres, 23,087 Pop., 5,233. Houses, 1,084.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

LEONARD'S GAZETTEER OF ENGLAND AND WALES 1850

Almondbury, 4½ miles S.W. Thornbury. P. 1584

Source: Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.

LEWIS TOPOGRAPHICAL DICTIONARY OF ENGLAND 1845

Almondsbury (St. Mary the Virgin), a parish, in the union of Thornbury, comprising the tything of Almondsbury, in the lower division of the hundred of Berkeley, the tythings of Gaunts-Earthcote and Lea, in the Lower division of that of Thornbury, and the tythings of Hempton and Patchway, Over, and Lower Tockington, in the Lower division of the hundred of Langley and Swinehead, W. division of the county of Gloucester; and containing 1584 inhabitants, of whom 603 are in Almondsbury tything, 7 miles (N. by E.) from Bristol. This parish, which is situated near the river Severn, comprises 6927 acres of rich pasture land in good cultivation; sandstone is quarried chiefly for rough building purposes. The village is situated at the foot of a ridge of limestone rocks, in which lead-ore has been found in small quantities, and of which the old roof of Berkeley castle was partly composed; and the views from the heights, along which passes the road from Gloucester to Bristol, are extensive, embracing the whole estuary of the Severn, and the opposite coast of Wales. The living is a discharged vicarage, annexed to the see of Gloucester and Bristol, and valued in the King's books at £20: the tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £1150. 13. 4., and there are two acres of glebe. The church, situated in that part of the parish which is in the hundred of Berkeley, is a very handsome cruciform structure, in the early English style, with a tower and spire at the intersection; it has been extensively repaired and altered within the last few years, and contains 700 free sittings. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans. Here is a school with a small endowment, bequeathed by the late Mr. John Silcox; and a national school, erected at an expense of £250, is endowed with £30 per annum from lands left by an unknown benefactor for the use of the church, producing £210 per annum. A school is also supported by Mr. Lippincolt; and two cottages and three acres of land were bequeathed by Mr. Jefferies for widows or widowers.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.

THE PARLIAMENTARY GAZETTEER OF ENGLAND AND WALES 1840

Almondsbury, a parish partly in the hund. of Berkeley, partly in that of Langley and Swinehead, and partly in that of Thornbury, Thornbury union, county of Gloucester; 6 miles north-east of Bristol. It comprises the tythings of Almondsbury, Hempton and Patchway, Over with Lower Tockington, and Gaunt's Earthcote. Living, a discharged vicarage, a peculiar of the bishop of Gloucester and Bristol; rated at £20. The church — a handsome building in the form of a cross, with a tower and spire at the intersection — contains some specimens of Norman architecture. The church-lands in this parish yield a revenue of £235 17s. 10d., part of which is applied to educational purposes, and part given to the poor. There are also some alms-houses, and two small charitable bequests connected with this parish. There are two daily and Sunday National schools here, with about 80 scholars. Pop., in 1801, 1,069; in 1831, 1,492. Houses 239. Acres 6,950. A. P. £13,293. Poor rates, in 1837, £799 The village of Almondsbury is situated near the small stream Boyd, at the foot of a ridge of limestone rocks; 4½ miles south by west of Thornbury. From the heights above, the view is very grand and extensive, embracing the estuary of the Severn and the opposite coast of Wales. This village is said to have derived its name from Alcmond, a West Saxon prince, father of King Egbert, who was buried in the church, and from a fortification in the neighbourhood. There is a daily school here with an endowment of £2 10s. annually. Pop., in 1801, 350; in 1831, 517. Houses 81. Acres 1,900. A. P. £5,045

Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1840.

A TOPOGRAPHICAL DICTIONARY OF GREAT BRITAIN AND IRELAND 1833

Almondsbury, co. Gloucester.
P. T. Thornbury (122) 5 m. S b W. Pop. of Pa. 1408. Of Tyth. 477.

A parish and tything, partly in the lower division of the hundred of Berkeley, but mostly in the lower division of the hundred of Langley and Swinehead; the parish including the additional tythings of Hempton and Patchway, and Over and Lower Tockington; living, a dis. vicarage annexed to the see of Bristol; val. in K. B. 20l.; church ded. to St. Mary.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland by John Gorton. The Irish and Welsh articles by G. N. Wright; Vol. I; London; Chapman and Hall, 186, Strand; 1833.

Gaunts Earthcott

LEWIS TOPOGRAPHICAL DICTIONARY OF ENGLAND 1845

Gaunts-Earthcott, a tything, in the parish of Almondsbury, union of Thornbury, Lower division of the hundred of Berkeley, W. division of the county of Gloucester, 5¾ miles (S. by E.) from Thornbury; containing 55 inhabitants.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.

Hempton and Patchway

THE PARLIAMENTARY GAZETTEER OF ENGLAND AND WALES 1851

Hempton and Patchway, a tything in Almondsbury parish; county of Gloucester; 5 miles south-south-west of Thornbury. Acres 1,750. Houses 74. A. P. £2,811. Pop., in 1801, 324; in 1831, 424.

Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.

Lower Tockington

Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850

Tockington (Lower), in Almondsbury parish. P. 440

Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850

Over

Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850

Over, 5 miles N. Bristol. P. 73

Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850

Parish Records

FamilySearch – Birth Marriage & Death records, Census, Migration & Naturalization and Military records – Free

Birth Marriage and Death Records

England Births and Christenings, 1538-1975

England Deaths and Burials, 1538-1991

England Marriages, 1538–1973 

England and Wales Birth Registration Index, 1837-2008

England and Wales Death Registration Index 1837-2007

England and Wales Marriage Registration Index, 1837-2005

England and Wales Non-Conformist Record Indexes (RG4-8), 1588-1977

 

Great Britain Deaths and Burials, 1778-1988

Great Britain Marriages, 1797-1988

Great Britain, Births and Baptisms, 1571-1977

United Kingdom, Maritime Births, Marriages, and Deaths, 1787-1933

Grave Indexes

BillionGraves Index

Find A Grave Index

Migration and Naturalisation Records

Migration Records at FamilySearch

Newspaper Archives

British Newspaper Archive, Family Notices

British Newspaper Archives, Obituaries

Census Records

England and Wales Census, 1841

England and Wales Census, 1851

England and Wales Census, 1861

England and Wales Census, 1871

England and Wales Census, 1881

England and Wales Census, 1891

England and Wales Census, 1901

England and Wales National Register, 1939

Probate and Court Records

England and Wales, National Index of Wills and Administrations, 1858-1957

Military Records

Great Britain, War Office Registers, 1772-1935

United Kingdom, Chelsea Pensioners' Service Records, 1760-1913

United Kingdom, Merchant Navy Seamen Records, 1835-1941

United Kingdom, Militia Service Records, 1806-1915

United Kingdom, Royal Hospital Chelsea: Discharge Documents of Pensioners 1760-1887 (WO 122)

United Kingdom, World War I Service Records, 1914-1920

United Kingdom, World War I Women's Army Auxiliary Corps Records, 1917-1920

Directories

Kelly's Directory of Gloucestershire 1863 - Google Books

Transcriptions

Almondsbury Kellys Gloucestershire Directory 1863

Almondsbury is a parish and village, with the tithings of Hempton and Patchway, Over and Tockington Lower annexed, 8 miles west-south-west from the Yate, and 8 north from the Bristol station, 4½ south from Thornbury, 20 north-west from Bath, and 116 from London, in Barton Regis, Berkeley, Thornbury, Lower Langley, and Swineshead hundreds, Thornbury union, rural deanery and county court district, West Gloucestershire, Bristol archdeaconry, and Gloucester and Bristol diocese ; it is situated on the Bristol and Gloucester road. The church of St. Mary is an ancient stone building, principally in the Early English style; there is a handsome obituary east window erected in memory of Dr. Gray, late Bishop of Bristol, by his family. The church consists of nave, aisles, porch, chancel, organ, tower, spire, clock and 8 bells. The living is a vicarage, value £900 yearly, with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Gloucester and Bristol; the great tithes are in the hands of the Ecclesiastical Commissioners; the Rev. Henry Gray, M.A., of University College, Oxford, is the vicar. There are two places of worship for Dissenters, and a National school for toys and girls, with master's residence, and a branch school at Patchway. Knole Park is the seat of Col. Master; Over Court is the seat of Robert Cann Lippincott, Esq. The population in 1861 was 1,864; the acreage is 6,926. The soil is mostly clay ; the subsoil is limestone. Colonel Master (who is lord of the manor of the tithing of Almondsbury) and Robert Cann Lippincott, Esq. (who is lord of the manor of the tithings of Over and Hempton and Patchway), are chief landowners. Here was a Roman establishment. There are charities of between £200 and £300 yearly value. A chapel of ease was erected at the Cross Keys district in 1855; it is a neat stone build ing, in the Early English style, with nave, chancel, porch, and bell-turret with 2 bells.

Almondsbury tithing contained 686 inhabitants in 1861; Gaunt's Earthcott tithing, 41; Lea tithing, 51; Hempton and Patchway tithing, 548; Over tithing, 74; Lower Tockington tithing, 464.

There are some Roman roads; near Knole Park is a camp, and a barrow near Over Court. To the west are marshes.

Parish Clerk, John Williams.

Almondsbury.

Gray Rev. Henry M.A. [vicar], Oaklands

Lippincott Robert Cann, esq. Over court

Master Col. Wm. Chester, Knole park

Commercial.

Adams Samuel, farmer

Anstey Cornelius, farmer

Arnold Thos. farmer, Targout farm, Lea

Bennett John, farmer, Lea

Bennett John Henry, shopkeeper

Caise John, shopkeeper

Collins William, blacksmith

Fisher Geo. farmer, Knap House farm

Hall Hannah (Mrs.), farmer

Hall John, farmer

Harcombe Thomas, tailor & postmaster

Hunt Eliza & Charlotte (Misses), ladies' school, Grosvenor house

Hunt James, farmer, Haise farm

Huxley William, beer retailer, Lea

James John, veterinary surgeon

Lippiatt Charles, tiler &. plasterer

Luton Daniel, farmer

Luton George, jun. farmer, Court farm

Parker Jane (Mrs.), farmer

Pearce Thomas, blacksmith

Smith William, carpenter

Thomas Jacob, farmer, Gaunt's Earthcott

Thomas James, farmer, Gaunt's Earthcott

Thomas John, farmer, Woodhouse farm

Watkins George, farmer, Lea

Watkins Luke, farmer, Lea

Wilcox Henry, shopkeeper

Williams Charles, stonemason

Williams Edwin, Bowl

Williams Francis, shopkeeper

Wither Thomas, boot & shoe maker

Young George, stonemason

Young Jacob, farmer, Gaunt's Earthcott

Young Samuel, farmer, Hortham farm

Young William, farmer, Callicroft farm

Post Office. — Thomas Harcombe, postmaster, arrive through Bristol. First arrival, 8 a.m.; second arrival, 6.30 p.m.; first dispatch, 9 a.m.; second dispatch, 5 p.m. Letters are not delivered at the second arrival, but can be had on application at the post office. On the second arrival letters are delivered in the village of Almondsbury that evening, but not elsewhere. The nearest money order office is at Thornbury

Tockington Lower.— Mrs. Lois Codrington, postmistress. Letters arrive through Bristol at 10.30 a.m.; dispatched at 4.30 p.m

Cribb's Causeway, Over. — William Webb, receiver. Letters arrive thro' Bristol 8.30 a.m.; dispatched 5.45 p.m

Police Station, Robert Porter, sergeant

Public Schools:—

National, T. Bunting Francis, master; Mrs. Francis, mistrs

Hempton Patchway (Branch), Miss M. Macfarlane, mistress

Conveyance. — Omnibuses pass from Thornbury to Bristol at 9 a.m. returning at 6.30 p.m

Carriers to Bristol. — Baylis, daily; Wilson, Monday, Wednesday & Friday.

Hempton &. Patchway.

Brown Jacob, farmer, Woodlands

Carter Henry, farmer

Chapman Charles, farmer

Chapman William, Swan

Chapman William, jun. farmer

Collard William, New inn

Cooper Charles, baker

George George, farmer & butcher

Hall Thomas, farmer

Hopkins Charles, carpenter, wheel wright & shopkeeper

Hunt George, baker & shopkeeper

Hunt James, farmer

Mount Steph. Thos. farmer, Woodlands fm

Ogborn John, grocer & butcher

Osborne Daniel, farmer

Sarah Ann (Miss), dressmaker

Over.

Fisher Henry, farmer, Washingpool frm

Fisher Walter, farmer, St. Swithin's frm

Ford Joseph, farmer, Over Court farm

Hiscox James, cattle dealer

Hunt Charles, farmer, Redriff farm

Leigh Ann (Mrs.), farmer

Virgo Charles, farmer

Webb William, Black Horse, & farmer

Tocklngton Lower.

Adams Ann (Mrs.), White Horse

Adams Samuel, farmer

Alvis Samuel, farmer

Griffith William, tailor

Harris James, Cross Hands

Harris Thomas, farmer

Harris William, farmer

Hewitt William, farmer

Hopkins Adam, farmer

Luce John, farmer

Parnell William Osborne, beer retailer & farmer

Pope James, boot & shoe maker

Robinson Elizabeth (Mrs.), beer retailr

Rosser Enos, carpenter & wheelwright

Rosser Mark, blacksmith

Scriven John, farmer

Shepherd George, farmer

Stevens Charles, grocer & draper

Sturge Edward, yeoman

Tanner Martin, farmer

Thomas Timothy, tailor

Watkins Charlotte (Mrs.), beer retailer

Webb John, farmer

Williams Henry, farmer

Williams Mark, farmer

Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire, Herefordshire, Shropshire and the City of Bristol, Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1863.

Almondsbury Kellys Gloucestershire Directory 1856

Almondsbury is a township, parish and village, with the tithings of Hempton and Patchway, Over and Tockington Lower, annexed, 8 miles west-south-west from Yate, and 8 north from the Bristol station, 4 ½ south from Thornbury, 20 north-west from Bath, and 116 from London, in Barton Regis, Berkeley, Thornbury, Lower Langley, and Swineshead Hundreds, Thornbury Union, West Gloucestershire, Bristol archdeaconry, and Gloucester and Bristol bishopric. It is situate on the Bristol and Gloucester road, or Ridgeway. The church of St. Mary is an ancient stone building, principally in the early English style; there is a handsome obituary east window, erected to Dr. Gray, late bishop of Bristol, by his family. The church consists of nave, aisles, porch, chancel, organ, tower, spire, clock and 8 bells. The living is a vicarage, value £900 yearly, with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Gloucester and Bristol, who also owns the great tithes; the Rev. Henry Gray, M.A., is the incumbent; the Rev. Walter Gray, M.A., is the curate. There are two places of worship for Dissenters, and a National school for boys and girls, with master’s residence. Knole Park is the seat of Col. Master. Over Court in the seat of Robert Cann Lippincott, Esq. The population, in 1851, was 1,680, and the acreage is 6,926. The soil is mostly clay; the subsoil is limestone. Colonel Master is lord of the manor, and, with Robert Cann Lippincott, Esq., chief landowner. Here was a roman establishment. There are charities of between £200 and £300 yearly value. A chapel of ease was erected at the Cross Keys district in 1855. It is a neat stone building, in the early English style, with nave, chancel, porch, bell turret, and 2 bells.

Almondsbury tithing contains 599 inhabitants; Gaunt’s Earthcott tithing, 58; Lea tithing, 37; Hampton and Patchway tithing, 436; Over tithing, 107; Lower Tockington tithing, 443.

Woodhouse is 1 mile north-east; Sunday’s Hill, half a mile south; Hampton or Hempton, 1 mile south; Woodcock Hill, 1 mile north, Patchway, 1 ½ miles south-east; Over, 2 miles south-west; Barrow Hill, 1 mile west; Gaunt’s Earthcott, 2 ½ miles east; Horsham, 2 miles east; Ringhurst, 3 miles east; The Groves, 2 ½ miles east; Middle Hanger, 3 ½ miles north-east; Oldfields, 4 miles north-east; Bagwood, 2 miles east; Oakhill, 2 ½ miles east; Woodlands, 1 ½ miles southeast; Ellick’s Woods and Bowsland, 2 miles south-east; Halfway Bridge, 1 ½ miles south; Little Stoke, 2 miles south, Collicroft and Ramsleaze, 2 miles South; Catty Brook, or Knap House, 1 ½ miles south-west; Newman’s Hill and Bournehays, 2 miles west; Washingpool, 3 miles south-west; St. Swithin’s, 3 miles south-west; and Hayes, 3 miles south. Redriff is a farm.

There are some Roman roads; and near Knole Park is a camp, and a barrow near Over Court. To the west are marshes.

ALMONDSBURY

GENTRY

Gay Rev. Henry (vicar), Oaklands

Gray Rev. Walter (curate)

Lippincott Robert Cann, esq. Over Court

Master Col. William Chester, Knole pk.

TRADERS

Arnold Thomas, farmer, Targout fm. Lee

Barnett Sarah (Miss), dressmaker

Bennett John, farmer, Lee

Brown Jacob, farmer, Woodlands

Brown Stephen, farmer, Bagwood farm

Carter Henry, farmer

Chapman William, ‘Swan’

Collins William, blacksmith

Day George, farmer

Fisher George, farmer, Knap ho. farm

Gale Daniel, carpenter & wheelwright

Hall Hannah (Mrs.), farmer

Hall Thomas, farmer

Harcomb Thomas, tailor

Harris Thomas, farmer, Lee

Hiscox John, master mariner

Hopkins Adam, farmer, Lee

Hopkins Charles, carpenter, wheelwright & shopkeeper

Hunt Eliza & Matilda (the Misses), ladies’ school

Hunt George, baker

Hunt James, farmer, Hais farm

Huxley William, beer retailer, Lee

James John, veterinary surgeon

Lippiatt Charles, tiler & plasterer

Luce John, farmer Lee

Luton Daniel, farmer

Luton George, jun. farmer, Court farm

Luton George, sen. Farmer, Court farm

Mountstephen Thos. frmr. Woodlnds. frm.

Osbourne Daniel, farmer

Parker Jane (Mrs.), farmer

Pearce Thomas, blacksmith

Purser Danl., shopkpr. Almondsbury hl

Reynolds Geo. master of National school

Rosser Mark, blacksmith, Lee

Sarah Ann (Miss), dressmaker

Shepherd George, farmer, Lee

Smith William, carpenter

Tanner Martin, farmer Lee

Thomas Jacob, farmer, Gaunt’s Earthcott

Thomas James, farmer, Gaunt’s Earthcott

Thomas John, farmer Woodhouse farm

Tilney Joseph, shopkeeper

Watkins George, farmer, Lee

Watkins Luke, farmer, Lee

Williams Charles, stonemason

Williams Edwin, stonemason & ‘Bowl’

Williams Francis, shopkeeper

Williams Henry, farmer

Williams John, parish clerk

Williams Richard, farmer

Williams Richard, boot & shoe maker

Wither Thomas, boot & shoe maker

Wright John, schoolmaster

Young George, stonemason

Young Jacob, farmer Gaunt’s Earthcott

Young William, farmer, Collicroft farm

Young William, farmer, Hortham farm

HEMPTON

Chapman Charles, farmer

Hunt Josiah, farmer

PATCHWAY

TRADERS

Collard William, New inn

Cooper Charles, baker

George George, farmer & butcher

Jones Henry Nicholls, farmer

Pope George, farm bailiff

OVER

TRADERS

Cullimore Wm. frmr. Washingpool farm

Ford Joseph, farmer

Hiscox Joseph, cattle dealer

Hunt Charles, farmer, Redriff farm

Leigh George, auctioneer & farmer

Meredith Edwd. Frmr. St. Swithin’s frm.

Virgo Charles, farmer & stonemason

Webb William, ‘Black Horse’

TOCKINGTON LOWER

Adams James, ‘White Horse’

Dyer William, boot & shoe maker

Fisher Henry, farmer

Frankham Job, boot & shoe maker

Griffith William, tailor

Harris James, ‘Cross Hands’

Harris Samuel, boot & shoe maker

Hewitt William, farmer

Palmer Richard, farmer

Parnell William Osbourn, farmer

Pontin William, stonemason

Pope James, boot & shoe maker

Robinson Elizabeth (Mrs.), beer retailer

Rosser Enos, carpenter & wheelwright

Scriven John, farmer

Shepherd George, farmer

Tayler John, beer retailer

Thomas Timothy, tailor

Webb John, farmer

Williams Henry, farmer

Williams Mark, farmer & butcher

POST OFFICE. – Thomas Harcomb, postmaster. Letters arrive through Bristol. First arrival, 9 a.m.; second arrival ½ past 6 p.m.; first dispatch, 9 a.m.; second dispatch, 5 p.m. Letters are not delivered at the second arrival, but can be had on application at the post office. The nearest money order office is at Thornbury post office.

Tockington lower. – Mrs. Lois Codrington, postmistress. Letters arrive through Bristol at ¼ before 12 a.m.; dispatched at ½ past 5 p.m.

CARRIERS TO BRISTOL. – Baylis, Tuesday, Thursday & Saturday; Greenman, Tuesday Thursday & Saturday

OMNIBUSES pass from Thornbury to Bristol, at 9 a.m.; return at ½ past 6 p.m.

Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire with Bath and Bristol. Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., 19, 20 & 21, Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1856.

Administration

  • County: Gloucestershire
  • Civil Registration District: Thornbury
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Bristol (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Pre 1836 - Gloucester, Post 1835 - Gloucester and Bristol
  • Rural Deanery: Bristol
  • Poor Law Union: Thornbury
  • Hundred: Berkeley (Gloucestershire); Langley and Swinehead; Thornbury
  • Province: Canterbury
  • Petty Sessional Division:
  • Couty Court District: Thornbury