Aldsworth Gloucestershire Family History Guide

Aldsworth is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire.

Parish church: various dedications given in gazetteers and directories - St. Peter (1845), St. Mary (1863), St Bartholomew (current)

Parish registers begin: 1683

Table of Contents

Parishes adjacent to Aldsworth

Historical Descriptions

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

Aldsworth, a parish in Northleach district, Gloucester; near the river Leach, 10 miles NE of Cirencester r. station. It has a post office under Cheltenham. Acres, 3,460. Real property, £3,107. Pop., 430. Houses, 82. The property is divided among a few. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £66. Patron, Christ's Church, Oxford. The church stands on a hill, and commands an extensive view.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851

Aldsworth, a parish in the hund. of Brightwell's Barrow, union of Northleach, county of Gloucester; 4½ miles south-east of Northleach, on the road from Barnsley to Burford. Living, a perpetual curacy united with Turkdean, in the archd. of Gloucester and dio. of Gloucester and Bristol, of the certified value of £23 10s.; rated in the parliamentary return at £60. Patrons, the dean and chapter of Christ church, Oxford. The church is a picturesque object, being built on a hill, and visible many miles round. The great and small tithes of this parish were commuted in 1793. This parish is intersected by the Cheltenham, Oxford, and London Union railway. Pop., in 1801, 288; in 1831, 353. Houses 74. Acres 3,400. A. P. £2,735. Poor rates in 1837, £70.

Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.

Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850

Aldsworth, 5 m. W. Burford. P. 365.

Source: Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.

Lewis Topographical Dictionary of England 1845

Aldsworth (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of Northleach, hundred of Brightwell’s Barrow, E division of the county of Gloucester, 3½ miles (SE) from Northleach; containing 365 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, annexed to the vicarage of Turkdean; net income, £66. The tithes were commuted for land and an annual money payment, by an inclosure act, in 1793. The peculiar of Aldsworth is regularly inhibited during the bishop’s visitation, although his right has been and still continues to be resisted by the patron and ordinary of the peculiar, notwithstanding an award of the Dean of Arches, in 1741, in the bishop’s favour.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.

The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1840

Aldsworth, a parish in the hund. of Brightwell's Barrow, union of Northleach, county of Gloucester; 4 miles south-east of Northleach, on the road from Barnsley to Burford. Living, a perpetual curacy united with Turkdean, in the archd. of Gloucester and dio. of Gloucester and Bristol, of the certified value of £23 10s.; rated in the parliamentary return at £60. Patrons, the dean and chapter of Christ church, Oxford. The church is a picturesque object, being built on a hill, and visible many miles round. The great and small tithes of this parish were commuted in 1793. This parish is intersected by the Cheltenham, Oxford, and London Union railway. Pop., in 1801, 288; in 1831, 353. Houses 74. Acres 3,460. A. P. £2,735. Poor rates, in 1837, £70.

Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1840.

A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland 1833

Aldsworth, co. Gloucester.
P. T. Northleach (82) 4½ m. SE.

A parish in the hundred of Brightwell-Barrow; living, a perpetual curacy in the archdeaconry and diocese of Gloucester; certified value 23l. 10s.; ann. val. P. R. 60l.; patron, Christ Church College, Oxford. The church, which is ded. to St. Peter, possessing a spire, and being erected on a hill in the midst of downs, forms a picturesque object, which may be seen for many miles round.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland by John Gorton. The Irish and Welsh articles by G. N. Wright; Vol. I; London; Chapman and Hall, 186, Strand; 1833.

Crosby's Complete Pocket Gazetteer of England and Wales 1815

Aldsworth, (Glouc.) a village situated on a rising ground, and in the neighbourhood of some downs, about 10 miles distant from Cirencester. The church has a handsome spire, and shews itself to great advantage. On the left is Sherborne Lodge, the residence of Lord Sherborne. Population, 282.

Source: Crosby's Complete Pocket Gazetteer of England and Wales 1815; Baldwin, Cradock & Joy.

Parish Records

FamilySearch – Birth Marriage & Death records, Census and Military records – Free

Directories

Aldsworth Morris Gloucestershire Directory 1876

Aldsworth is a parish in Northleach union, containing, by the census of 1861, 430, and in 1871, 395 inhabitants, and 3207 acres; in the deanery of Fairford, archdeaconry of Bristol, diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, hundred of Brightwells Barrow, East Gloucestershire; 4 miles south-east from Northleach, 6 west from Burford (Oxfordshire), and 11 north-east from Cirencester. The living is a vicarage, valued at £130 per annum, in the incumbency of the Rev. Edward Sewell, M.A., and the patronage of Christ Church, Oxford. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, consists of nave, chancel, and aisle, with tower surmounted by a spire, and three bells. There is a school for children of both sexes. Lord Sherborne is lord of the manor, and he and Christ Church, Oxford, are the principal owners. The rateable value of this parish is £3248.

Trades and Professions

Collett Charles, blacksmith

Damont Miss Sarah, Parochial schoolmistress

Field John, wheelwright and carpenter

Garne Robert. Farmer

Houlton John, farmer

Houlton Thomas, farmer, Ladbarrow farm

Howes John, carrier

Lane William Jenner, farmer, Cocklebarrow farm

Parrott William, parish clerk

Stone Edward, shoemaker

Taylor John Walker, brewer, maltster, and wine and spirit merchant

Waine Mrs. Jane, baker and grocer

Young Joseph, “Sherborne Arms”

Letters are received though Northleach, which is the nearest money order office.

Parochial School – Miss S. Damont, mistress

Carrier – John Howes, to Cirencester, Monday and Friday

Source: Morris & Co.’s Commercial Directory & Gazetteer of Gloucestershire with Bristol and Monmouth. Second Edition. Hounds Gate, Nottingham. 1876.

Aldsworth Kellys Gloucestershire Directory 1863

Aldsworth is a parish and small village, 4 miles south-east from Northleach, 10½ north-north-east from Cirencester station, and 6½ west from Burford, in Brightwells Barrow hundred, Northleach union and county court district, rural deanery of Fairford, Bristol archdeaconry, and Gloucester and Bristol bishopric. The church of St. Mary is a small stone building in various styles of architecture; it has spire, tower with 3 bells, nave, aisle, and chancel. The living is a perpetual curacy, value £60 yearly, in the gift of Christ Church, Oxford; the Rev. John George Bellingham, M.A., is the incumbent. There is a mixed school, supported by Lord Sherborne. The population in 1861 was 430 ; the acreage is 3,460 ; rateable value, £2,754. The soil is stone brash. Lord Sherborne (who is lord of the manor) and Christ Church, Oxford, are chief landowners.

Parish Clerk, William Parrott.

Craddock Miss

Waine Mr. Joseph

Commercial.

Baker William, farmer

Barton Thomas, shoemaker

Collett Charles, blacksmith

Field John, wheelwright & carpenter

Garne Robert, farmer

Harris James, wheelwright & carpenter

Hathaway Ann (Mrs.), shopkeeper

Houlton Thos. farmer, Ladbarrow farm

Howes John, carrier

Lane William Jenner, farmer, Cockle- barrow farm

Smith John Bryan (exors. of), farmer, Saddlers farm

Stone Edward, shoemaker

Tayler John Walker, brewer, maltster & spirit merchant

Waine Giles, farmer, Green farm

Waine Jane (Mrs.), baker & grocer

Letters are received through Northleach, which is the nearest money order office.

Parochial School, Miss Sarah Damont, mistress

Carrier. — John Howes, to Cirencester, monday & friday, returning the same days

Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire, Herefordshire, Shropshire and the City of Bristol, Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1863.

Aldsworth Kellys Gloucestershire Directory 1856

Aldsworth is a township, parish and small village, 4 miles south-east from Northleach, 10 ½ north-north-east from Cirencester station, and 6 ½ west from Burford, in Brightwell Barrow Hundred, Northleach Union, Bristol archdeaconry, and Gloucester and Bristol bishopric. The church of St. Mary is a small stone building in various styles of architecture, has spire, tower, nave, aisle, and chancel, with 3 bells. The living a perpetual curacy, worth £66 yearly, in the gift of Christ Church, Oxford; the Rev. John George Bellingham, M.A., is the incumbent, and the Rev. Edward Reed Davis, M.A., is the curate. There is a mixed school, supported by Lord Sherborne. The population, in 1851, was 379, and the acreage is 3,460; rateable value, £2,754. The soil is stone brash. Lord Sherborne is lord of the manor, and, with Christ Church, Oxford, chief landowner.

Ladbarrow, Cocklebarrow, Saddlers, and Green Farm, are places here.

Craddock Mrs. Elizabeth

Davies Rev. Edwd. Reed, M.A. (Curate)

Waine Mr. John

TRADERS

Barton Thomas, shoemaker

Collett Elizabeth (Mrs.), blacksmith

Field John, wheelwright, carpenter & postmaster

Garne William, farmer

Harris James, wheelwright & carpenter

Hathaway John, shopkeeper

Houlton Thomas, farmer, Ladbarrow farm

Howes John & William, carriers

Lane William Jenner, farmer, Cocklebarrow farm

Parrott William, parish clerk

Smith John Bryan, farmer, Saddlers farm

Stone Edward, shoemaker

Tayler John Walker, brewer, maltster & spirit merchant

Waine Giles, farmer, Green farm

Waine Jane (Mrs.), baker, grocer & beer retailer

Post Office. – John Field, receive. Letters through Northleach, arrive at 10 a.m.; dispatched at 4 p.m. The nearest money order office is at Northleach.

Parochial School, Miss Sarah Slagg, mistress

Carriers – John & William Howes, to Cirencester, Monday & Wednesday, returning the same clay.

Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire with Bath and Bristol. Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., 19, 20 & 21, Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1856.

Administration

  • County: Gloucestershire
  • Civil Registration District: Northleach
  • Probate Court: Court of the Peculiar of Bibury
  • Diocese: Pre 1836 - Gloucester, Post 1835 - Gloucester and Bristol
  • Rural Deanery: Pre-1847 - None, Post-1846 - Fairford
  • Poor Law Union: Northleach
  • Hundred: Brightwells Barrow
  • Province: Canterbury
  • Petty Sessional Division:
  • Couty Court District: Northleach