Alderton Gloucestershire Family History Guide

Alderton is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire.

Other places in the parish include: Dixton.

Parish church: St. Margaret

Parish registers begin: 1596

Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist

School: mixed village school supported by voluntary subscriptions together with the weekly payments of the children.

Parishes adjacent to Alderton

Historical Descriptions

Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

Alderton, a parish in Winchcombe district, Gloucester; 5 miles ESE of Ashchurch r. station, and 9 NNE of Cheltenham. It has a post-office under Cheltenham; and contains the hamlet of Dixton. Acres, 1,750. Real property, £2,067. Pop., 487. Houses, 109. The property is subdivided. Here are remains of a Saxon camp. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £450. Patron, the Rev. C. Covey. The church is good. Charities, £20.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A Fullerton & Co. N.d.c. [1870-72].

The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851

Alderton, a parish in the upper division of the hund. of Tewkesbury, union of Winchcomb, county of Gloucester; 7 miles east of Tewkesbury. Living, a rectory in the archd. of Gloucester and dio. of Gloucester and Bristol; rated at £22 1s. 10d.; gross income £350. Patron, in 1835, T. L. Townsend. Near the village are the remains of a Saxon encampment. Charities to the poor of this parish amount to £11 13s. 6d. yearly. Pop., in 1801, 222; in 1831, 330. Houses 72. Acres 1,750. A. P. £3,108. Poor rates, in 1837. £109.

Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.

Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850

Alderton with Dixon, 6 miles E. Tewkesbury. P. 411.

Source: Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.

Lewis Topographical Dictionary of England 1845

Alderton (St. Margaret), a parish, in the union of Winchcomb, Upper division of the hundred of Tewkesbury, E division of the county of Gloucester, 4 ½ miles (N.N.W.) from Winchcomb; containing, with the hamlet of Dixton, 411 inhabitants. It comprises by admeasurement 1750 acres; the surrounding country is picturesque and beautiful, and extensive views are commanded from the neighbouring hills. Near Alderton Hill stood the fine old mansion, recently taken down, where one of the ancestors of the family of Tracy (Lord Sudely) was born; and at Dixton is a large manor-house, where the Higfords, who have been great benefactors to the parish, resided for several centuries. The living is a rectory, valued in the king’s books at £22. 1. 10½ .; net income, £337; patron, Rev. C. Covey. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £150; the glebe consists of about 9 acres, and a commodious parsonage-house has recently been built. The church, which is an ancient structure, is distinguished for the elegance of its arches. A school is supported by subscription. At Dixton Hill are the remains of a Saxon encampment. Numerous fossils are found in the stone quarries in the parish.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.

The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1840

Alderton, a parish in the upper division of the hund. of Tewkesbury, union of Winchcomb, county of Gloucester; 7 miles west of Tewkesbury. Living, a rectory in the archd. of Gloucester and dio. of Gloucester and Bristol; rated at £22 1s. 10d.; gross income £350. Patron, in 1835, T. L. Townsend. Near the village are the remains of a Saxon encampment. Charities to the poor of this parish amount to £11 13s. 6d. yearly. Pop., in 1801, 222; in 1831, 330. Houses 72. Acres 1,750. A. P. £3,108. Poor rates, in 1837, £109.

Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1840.

A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland 1833

Alderton, co. Gloucester.
P.T. Winchcomb (95¼) 3¾ m.NNW. Pop. 312.

A parish in the upper division of the hundred of Tewkesbury; living, a rectory in the archdeaconry and diocese of Gloucester; charged in K. B. 22l. 1s. 10½d.; church ded. to St. Margaret; patron (1829) John Parsons, Esq. The remains of a Saxon encampment in this parish are still visible.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland by John Gorton. The Irish and Welsh articles by G. N. Wright; Vol. I; London; Chapman and Hall, 186, Strand; 1833.

Crosby's Complete Pocket Gazetteer of England and Wales 1815

Alderton, (Glouc.) a small village near Tewkesbury, in the vicinity of which are some Saxon encampments. Distant from Gloucester 15 miles. Population, 264.

Source: Crosby's Complete Pocket Gazetteer of England and Wales 1815; Baldwin, Cradock & Joy.

Bankrupts

Below is a list of people that were declared bankrupt between 1820 and 1843 extracted from The Bankrupt Directory; George Elwick; London; Simpkin, Marshall and Co.; 1843.

Lane William, Alderton, Gloucestershire, cattle dealer, Oct. 1, 1822.

Parish Records

FamilySearch – Birth Marriage & Death records, Census, Migration & Naturalization and Military records – Free

Directories

Alderton Morris Gloucestershire Directory 1876

Alderton is a village and parish in Winchcomb union, containing, by the census of 1861, 487, and in 1871, 474 inhabitants, with 1560 acres of land; in the deanery of Campden, archdeaconry of Gloucester, diocese of Gloucester of Bristol, hundred of Tewkesbury, East Gloucestershire, 1 ½ mile south-east from Beckford Station, on the Midland Railway, 4 miles north-west from Winchcomb, 5 east from Ashchurch stations on the Bristol and Birmingham Railway, and 8 north-east from Cheltenham, pleasantly situated in the midst of hills, from which there are some beautiful views of the surrounding Country. The rectory, in the patronage and incumbency of the Rev. Charles Covey, M.A., is valued at £500 per annum, with residence. The church is an ancient Gothic edifice dedicated to St. Margaret, consisting of nave, south aisle, and tower with six bells. The Wesleyans have a place of worship here. There are schools for children of both sexes, supported by the rector. Samuel Gist, Esq., is lord of the manor, and he and the Earl of Wemyss and Marsh, and the rector are the principal owners. There are some small charities for the benefit of the poor. The rateable value of this parish is £2875.

Dixton is a small hamlet of this parish, 2 miles south-west from thence, in which are the remains of a Saxon encampment. The manor house, formerly the residence of the ancient family of Higford, now occupied by William Gist, Esq., bears the date over the entrance of 1555.

Alderton

Covey Rev. Charles, M.A.

Trades and Professions

Agg Wm. shoemaker and sub-postmaster

Banks Thomas, parish clerk

Cole Richard, farmer

Courtier Isaac, carpenter

Davis John, shoemaker

Day Maurice, butcher

Day William, bailiff

Fluck George, shopkeeper

Grimmett Emanuel, builder

Hale Thomas, farmer

Hicks John, farmer

Mansell Leigh, blacksmith and grocer

Mutlow Daniel Saunders, farmer

Rawlings Michael Corbett, veterinary surgeon

Sharp Stephen, shopkeeper and baker

Stephens Henry, beer retailer

Post office – William Agg, sub-postmaster. Letters through Winchcomb arrive at 10 am.; dispatched at 4.15 p.m. Winchcomb is also the nearest money order office.

School – Mrs. Hampton, mistress

Dixton

Gist William, Esq., Dixton house

Roberts James, farmer

Source: Morris & Co.’s Commercial Directory & Gazetteer of Gloucestershire with Bristol and Monmouth. Second Edition. Hounds Gate, Nottingham. 1876.

Alderton Kellys Gloucestershire Directory 1863

Alderton is a village and parish, 7 miles east from Tewkesbury, 5 east from Ashchurch station on the Bristol and Birmingham railway, 8 north-east from Cheltenham, and 4 north-west from Winchcomb, in the upper division of the hundred of Tewkesbury, union and county court district of Winchcomb, East Gloucestershire, rural deanery of Campden, archdeaconry of Gloucester, and bishopric of Gloucester and Bristol, situated near the Vale of Evesham, surrounded by picturesque hills, from one of which, Alderton Hill, there are most extensive views. The church of St. Margaret is an ancient building in the Gothic style, consisting of a nave, south aisle, porch, and tower with 6 bells; it is in good repair, and has a newly-erected organ, the gift of the rector. The register dates from 1596. The living is a rectory, value about £500 per annum, with handsome residence, in the gift of and held by the Rev. Charles Covey, M.A., of St. John's College, Cambridge. Here are day and Sunday schools for boys and girls, supported by the rector.

On Alderton Hill, adjoining the parish, are found numerous specimens of fossils; the stone is hard, and makes excellent roads; it is of the inferior oolite class. The population, including Dixton, in 1861 was 487; the acreage is 1,750. The soil is good, chiefly arable; the subsoil is a stiff clay. Samuel Gist, Esq. (who is lord of the manor), the Earl of Wemyss and March, and the rector are chief landowners.

There are several charities of small yearly value. The Wesleyans have a small chapel here. Dixton, distant 2 miles south-south-west, is a hamlet in the parish of Alderton, and contains a large manor house, formerly the residence of the ancient family of Higford, now occupied by William Gist, Esq. Upon a hill near the house are the remains of a Saxon encampment.

Parish Clerk, Charles Agg.

Alderton

Covey Rev. Charles, M.A

Covey Edward Rogers, esq

Commercial.

Agg Charles, shoemaker

Berwick Geo. blacksmith & shopkeeper

Cole Richard, farmer

Courter Isaac, carpenter

Day Thomas, shopkeeper

Day William, bailiff

Fluck George, shopkeeper

Grimmett Emanuel, builder

Mansell Leigh, blacksmith

Partington Frederick, beer retailer

Rawlings Michael Corbett, veterinary surgeon

Sharp Stephen, shopkeeper & baker

Stephens William, beer retailer

Taylor John, farmer

Teale Charles, farmer

Post Office. — Charles Agg, receiver. Letters arrive from Winchcomb at 10 a.m.; dispatched at 3.30 p.m. The nearest money order office is at Winchcomb. Registrar of Births & Deaths & Relieving Officer, Daniel Edlington, Cleeve.

School, Miss Eliza Harrison, mistress

Carriers : —

Sutton, to Evesham, monday; to Cheltenham, thursday & saturday

Peart, to Tewkesbury, Wednesday; to Cheltenham, thurs day & saturday.

Dixton.

Gist William, esq. Dixton house

Roberts James, farmer

Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire, Herefordshire, Shropshire and the City of Bristol, Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1863.

Alderton Kellys Gloucestershire Directory 1856

Alderton is a township, village, and parish, 7 miles east from Tewkesbury, 5 east from Ashchurch station, on the Bristol and Birmingham railway, 8 north-east from Cheltenham, and 4 north-west from Winchcomb, in the upper division of the hundred of Tewkesbury, Union of Winchcomb, East Gloucestershire, archdeaconry of Gloucester, and bishopric of Gloucester and Bristol, situated near the Vale of Evesham, surrounded by picturesque hills, from one of which, Alderton Hill, there are most extensive views. The church of St. Margaret is an ancient building in the Gothic style, consisting of a nave, south aisle, porch, and tower with 6 bells; it is in good repair, and has a newly-erected organ, the gift of the rector. The living is a rectory, worth about £500 per annum, with handsome residence, in the gift and incumbency of the Rev. Charles Covey, M.A. there is a small chapel for Wesleyans, and a day and Sunday school for boys and girls, supported by the rector. On Alderton Hill, adjoining the parish, are found numerous specimens of fossils; the stone is hard and makes excellent roads; it is of the inferior oolite class. The population, in 1851, was 486, acreage, 1,750. The soil is good, chiefly arable; the subsoil is a stiff clay. Samuel Gist, Esq., is lord of the manor; and S. Gist, Esq., the Earl of Wemyss and March, and the rector, are chief landowners. There are several charities of small yearly value.

Dixton, distant 2 miles south-south-west, is a hamlet in the parish of Alderton, and contains a large manor house, formerly the residence of the ancient family of Higford, and is now occupied by William Gist, Esq. Upon the hill near the house are the remains of a Saxon encampment.

Alderton.

Covey Rev. Charles, M.A.

Covey Charles Rogers, esq.

Traders.

Agg Charles, shoemaker & postmaster

Bennett Abraham, carrier

Cole Richard, farmer

Courter Isaac, carpenter

Cresswell Thos. beer retailer & butcher

Day Thomas, shopkeeper

Day William, bailiff

Fluck George, shopkeeper

Mansell William, blacksmith & carrier

Martin Paul, farmer

Sharp Stephen, shopkeeper & baker

Stephens William, beer retailer

Taylor John, farmer

Teale Charles, farmer

Dixton.

Gist William, esq. Dixton house

Wight John, farmer

Post Office. – Charles Agg, receiver. Letters arrive from Winchcomb at 9 a.m.; dispatched at ½ past 4 p.m. The nearest money order office is at Winchcomb.

Registrar of Births & Deaths, & Relieving Officer, George Hemming Jackson, Winchcomb

Parish Clerk, Charles Agg

St. Margaret’s Church, Rev. Charles Covey, M.A. rector

Carriers:- Mansell, to Evesham, Monday; Tewkesbury, Wednesday; & Cheltenham, Thursday; Bennett, to Cheltenham, Saturday.

Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire with Bath and Bristol. Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., 19, 20 & 21, Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1856

Administration

  • County: Gloucestershire
  • Civil Registration District: Winchcomb
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Post 1835 - Gloucester and Bristol, Pre 1836 - Gloucester
  • Rural Deanery: Campden
  • Poor Law Union: Winchcombe
  • Hundred: Tewkesbury
  • Province: Canterbury
  • Petty Sessional Division:
  • Couty Court District: Winchcombe