Alderley is a parish and village, 4 miles east from the Charfield railway station, 20 north from Bath, 20 north east from Bristol, 20 south-south-west from Gloucester, 2 south from Wotton-under-Edge, 10 west-south-west froth Tetbury, and 110 west-north-west from London, In the upper division of Grumbalds Ash hundred, Chipping Sodbury union and county court district, West Gloucestershire, rural deanery of Hawkesbury, Bristol archdeaconry, Gloucester and Bristol bishopric. The church of St. Kenelm, the body of which was rebuilt about 1802, is an embattled stone building, with nave, chancel, square tower (date 1458) with clock and 1 bell; in the churchyard are several old tombs to the Hale family; one a neat monument of black and white marble, In memory of Sir Mathew Hale, Lord Chief Justice of the King’s Bench, who was born in this parish, and died December 5, 1676, aged 67; the old clock now standing in the tower was the gift of Sir M. Hale; it bears date November 1, 1673. The living is a rectory, value £162 yearly, with residence and 25 acres of glebe land, in the gift of Robert Blagden Hale, Esq., who is also lord of the manor, and held by the Rev. Martin H. Whish, M.A., of Corpus Christi College, Cambridge. Here is a mixed village school, supported by voluntary subscriptions, together with the weekly payments of the children. The population in 1861 was 98, and the number of acres 878.
Parish Clerk, Joseph Bruton.
Bowyer Edmund, esq. Alderley lodge
Hale Col. Edwd. Blagden. C.B. Mount ho
Hale Robt. Blagden, esq. J.P. Alderley ho
Whish Rev. Martin H., M.A. Rectory
Ashbee Charles, farmer
Hazle William, miller, New mills
Mills George, farm bailiff & steward to R. B. Hale, esq
Minett E. farmer, Lower Park farm
Post Office. — Joseph Bruton, receiver. Letters through Wotton-under-Edge received at 8 a.m; dispatched at 5.20 p.m. Wotton-under-Edge is the nearest money order office.
Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire, Herefordshire, Shropshire and the City of Bristol, Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1863.