Adlestrop Gloucestershire Family History Guide

Adlestrop Gloucestershire
Adlestrop Gloucestershire

Adlestrop is a parish in Gloucestershire.

Parish church: St. Mary Magdalene

Parish registers begin: 1538

There is a day school for boys and girls and a Sunday school.

Table of Contents

Parishes adjacent to Adlestrop

Historical Descriptions

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

Addlestrop, a parish in Stow-on-the-Wold district, Gloucester; on the river Evenlode, 3½ miles ENE of Stow-on-the-Wold. It has a station, with Stow-Road, on the Midland railway. Post-town, Stow-on-the-Wold, under Moreton-in-the-Marsh. Acres, 1,285. Real property, £1,913. Pop., 184. Houses, 42. The manor belonged to the abbey of Evesham, passed at the dissolution to Sir Thomas Leigh, and is now the property of Lord Leigh. Addlestrop House, the seat of his lordship, is a large and interesting mansion, partly of considerable antiquity, amid beautiful grounds laid out by Adey Repton. The living is a rectory, united to the rectory of Broadwell, in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. The church was built in 1764, and is in good condition.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A Fullerton & Co. N.d.c. [1870-72]

Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850

Adlestrop, 4 m. N. E. Stow. P. 200

Source: Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.

Lewis Topographical Dictionary of England 1845

Adlestrop (St. Mary Magdalene), a parish, in the union of Stow-on-the-Wold, Upper division of the hundred of Slaughter, E division of the county of Gloucester, 3 ¾ miles (E by N) from Stow; containing 200 inhabitants. It is bounded on the south-east by the road from Stow to Chipping-Norton, and on the south-west by the river Evenlode, and is situated on the borders of Oxfordshire, not far distant from the southern extremity of the county of Warwick. The living is a rectory not in charge, annexed to that of Broadwell: the tithes were partially commuted for land, under an inclosure act, in 1775. The church, with the exception of the tower, was rebuilt in 1764. A school for boys is supported at the expense of the rector, and one for girls has a small endowment.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.

The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1840

Adlestrop, a parochial chapelry in the upper division of Slaughter hund., Stow-in-the-Wold union, Gloucestershire; 3¾ miles east by north from Stow-in-the-Wold. Living, a curacy to the rectory of Broadwell, in the archd. of Gloucester and dio. of Gloucester and Bristol. Tithes commuted in 1775. There are two daily and Sunday National schools here. Pop., in 1801, 225; in 1831, 196. Houses 40. Acres 1,320. A. P. £2,199. Poor rates, in 1837, £64.

Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1840.

Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland 1833

Adlestrop, co. Gloucester.
P. T. Stow-in-the-Wold (82¾) 3¾ m. E b N. Pop. 229.

A village in the upper division of the hundred of Slaughter; living, a chapelry to the rectory of Broadwell, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Gloucester; church ded. to St. Mary Magdalen; patron (1829) J. H. Leigh, Esq.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland by John Gorton. The Irish and Welsh articles by G. N. Wright; Vol. I; London; Chapman and Hall, 186, Strand; 1833.

Complete Pocket Gazetteer of England and Wales 1807

Addlesthorp [sic], (Glouc.) a village, pleasantly situated on a gentle, declivity near Stow on the Would and the borders of Oxfordshire. Its church was twice rebuilt in the space of 1 year, in consequence of the builder's unskilfulness. In the vicinity is Castleton Hill, a Danish camp.

Source: Complete Pocket Gazetteer of England and Wales; Crosby Rev. J. Malham; 1807

Photographs and Illustrations

Parish Records

FamilySearch – Birth Marriage & Death records and Census records – Free

FreeREG - free

Gloucestershire, England, Church of England Baptisms, Marriages and Burials, 1538-1813 (Ancestry)

Gloucestershire, England, Church of England Records (Ancestry)

Gloucestershire Parish Records (The Genealogist)

The Joiner Marriage Index

England, Boyd's Marriage Indexes, 1538-1850 (FindMyPast) - free

National Burial Index (FindMyPast) - free

Directories

Adlestrop Morris Gloucestershire Directory 1876

ADDLESTROP (or Adlestrop) is a Village and parish in Stow-on-the-Wold union, containing, by the census of 1861, 184, and in 1871, 192 inhabitants, with 1191 acres; in the deanery of Stow, archdeaconry of Gloucester, diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, hundred of Upper Slaughter East Gloucestershire; 3 miles east from Stow-on- the-Wold, 5 west from Chipping-Norton, 5 south-west from Moreton-in-the-Marsh, and 80 from London, on the West Midland Railway, at which it has a station, and near to the small river Evenlode. The living is a rectory, with Broadwell annexed, in the incumbency of the Hon. And Rev. Henry Pitt Cholmondeley, M.A., valued at £715 per annum, with residence, in the patronage of Lord Leigh. The church is an ancient edifice, partly Norman, dedicated to St. Mary Magdalene, consisting of nave and chancel, with tower. There is a school for children of both sexes, supported by Lord Leigh; and a Sunday School supported by funds out of the rectory farm. Lord Leigh is lord of the manor and owner of the parish. The rateable value of the parish is £1742.

Addlestrop House is a noble mansion, in the Tudor style, in the midst of a picturesque and well-wooded park.

GENTRY AND CLERGY.

Banner Miss Elizabeth

Brasses Albert, Esq., J.P., Addlestrop House

Cholmondeley Hon. and Rev. Henry Pitt, M.A., Rectory

TRADES AND PROFESSIONS.

Beacham Francis, farmer, Rectory farm

Burlingham H. and Co., Coal merchants, Railway Station; and at Evesham

Dickens John, stationmaster, and agent for the Imperial Union Life and Accident Assurance Companies

Gillett Miss Maria, schoolmistress

Howse William, parish clerk

Nash Miss Ann, shopkeeper

Savidge Matthew, farmer, Lower farm

Stow Richard, farmer, and agent for Lord Leigh, Addlestrop hill

Letters through Chipping Norton. The nearest money order office is at Stow-on-the-Wold.

Day School – Miss Maria Gillett, mistress

Great Western Railway (West Midland Section) – John Dickens, stationmaster

Source: Morris & Co.’s commercial Directory & Gazetteer of Gloucestershire with Bristol and Monmouth. Second Edition. Hounds Gate, Nottingham. 1876.

Adlestrop Kellys Gloucestershire Directory 1863

Adlestrop is a parish and small village, and railway station on the West Midland line, 3 miles east from Stow-on-the-Wold, 5 south from Moreton-in-Marsh, 5 west from Chipping Norton, and 80 from London, in Upper Slaughter hundred, Stow-on-the-Wold union and county court district, rural deanery of Stow, Gloucester archdeaconry, and Gloucester and Bristol bishopric; it is situated near the small river Evenlode. The church of St. Mary Magdalene is an ancient building, partly in the Norman style, and consists of tower, nave and chancel, and has several monuments to the Leigh family. The living, with Broadwell annexed, is a rectory, united value £715 yearly, with residence, in the gift of Lord Leigh; the Hon. and Rev. Henry Pitt Cholmondeley, M.A., of All Souls' College, Oxford, is the incumbent. There is a day school for boys and girls, and a Sunday school; the former is supported by Lady Leigh, the latter by the rector. The population in 1861 was 184; the acreage is 1,250. The soil is a strong clay. Lord Leigh is lord of the manor and owner of the soil. Adlestrop House, the seat of E. C. Marriott, Esq., is a noble stone mansion in the Tudor style, situated in a well-wooded and picturesque park.

Parish Clerk, William Howse.

Cholmondeley Hon. & Rev. Henry Pitt, M.A. Rectory

Marriott Edmund Chase, esq. Adlestrop house

Beecham Francis, farmer, Rectory farm

Clark George, railway station master

Freeman Anne (Mrs.), farmer

Lane Mary (Mrs.), shopkeeper

Nash Mary (Mrs.), shopkeeper

Stow Richard, farmer, Adlestrop hill

Willifer Robert, farmer

Letters are received through Chipping Norton. The nearest money order office is at Stow-on-the-Wold

Day School, Mrs. Elizabeth Taylor, mistress

Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire, Herefordshire, Shropshire and the City of Bristol, Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1863.

Addlestrop Kellys Gloucestershire Directory 1856

Addlestrop is a township, parish, and small village, and railway station on the Oxford, Worcester, and Wolverhampton line, 3 miles east from Stow-on-the-Wold, 5 south from Moreton-in-the-Marsh, and 5 west from Chipping Norton, in Upper Slaughter Hundred, Stow-on-the-Wold Union, Gloucester archdeaconry, and Gloucester and Bristol bishopric. It is situated near the small river Evenlode. The church is an ancient building, partly in the Norman style, and consists of tower, nave, and chancel, and has several monuments to the Leigh family. The living, with Broadwell annexed, is a rectory, united value £800 yearly, with residence, in the gift of Lord Leigh; the Hon. and Rev. Henry Pitt Cholmondeley, M.A., is the incumbent. There is a day school for boys and girls, and also a Sunday school; the former is supported by Lady Leigh, the latter by the rector. The population, in 1851, was 196, and the acreage is 1,250. The soil is a strong clay. Lord Leigh is lord of the manor and owner of the soil.

GENTRY.

Cholmondeley Hon. & Rev. Henry Pitt, M.A. Rectory

Leigh Dowager Lady, Adlestrop house

TRADERS.

Beecham Francis, farmer, Rectory farm

Freeman Charles, farmer

Lane Henry, blacksmith

Nash William, shopkeeper

Stow Richard, farmer, Adlestrop hill

Willifer Robert, farmer

Letters are received through Chipping Norton. The nearest money order office is at Stow-on-the-Wold.

Day school, Miss Mary Ann Wild, mistress

Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire with Bath and Bristol. Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., 19, 20 & 21, Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1856.

Adlestrop or Ædlesthorp Bigland 1786

This parish lies in the hundred of Slaughter, and deanery of Stow, about three miles north-east from the town of Stow, and twenty-nine miles, in the same direction, from Gloucester. It consists of nearly an equal proportion of meadow, pasture, and arable land, the soil being various, in some parts clay, in others loam, and in a few places sand.

The river Evenlode runs near the western side of it, and from thence makes its way to the Isis. The village is pleasantly situated on the slope of a hill fronting the south-west.

In ancient writings this place is called Eadlesthorp, and sometimes Castlethorp: the former name it probably received from the Saxon Єbel, noble, and ðonp a village, or habitation; and the latter from its being near Castle-Barrow, a round fortification, supposed to be Danish, on Castleton-Hill, which lies not far from the verge of the parish. In the charter granted to Egwine Bishop of Worcester, who founded the Abbey of Evesham, about the year 700, the name is written Tiddlestrop.

James Henry Leigh, Esq. the lord of the manor, resides in the old family seat, which is built in the Gothic style, and has been greatly enlarged and repaired.

The living is a rectory; and the church, which is dedicated to Saint Mary Magdalen [sic], is annexed to Broadwell. The body and chancel were rebuilt in the year 1764, chiefly at the expence of the late James Leigh, Esq. but the old tower, with battlements, situated at the west end, still remains. There are two cross ailes [sic] in the church, and in the tower five bells.

The inhabitants formerly interred their dead at Broadwell; but, about the year 1590, one of the ancestors of the Leigh family gave them land for a church yard, and procured it to be consecrated. In the year 1670, Doctor Johnson, the rector, built at his own expence, a very large and handsome parsonage-house; which has been much improved by the present rector Thomas Leigh, L.L.B.

Benefactions

Mr. Thomas Barker, formerly an inhabitant of this place, gave 20 shillings a year, to the use of the poor.

Lady Turner, by her will, gave in the year 1770, 50 pounds to the poor.

Fletcher gave 5 pounds, the interest of which is laid out every year, at Easter, in bread for the poor.

Incumbents.Patrons.
1697 Edw. Wake, M.A.Theoph Leigh, Esq.
1699 Henry Brydges, M.A.Theoph. Leigh, Esq.
1717 Theoph. Leigh, M.A.Theoph Leigh, Esq.
1763 Thomas Leigh, LL.B.James Leigh, Esq.

Present Lord of the Manor James Henry Leigh, Esq.

The persons summoned by the Heralds, in 1682 and 1683, from this place, were,

William Leigh, Arm. Just. Theophilus Leigh, Arm. Madam Peniston.

At the Election in 1776, only one Freeholder polled from this parish.

Source: Extracted from Historical, Monumental and Genealogical Collections, relative to the County of Gloucester – Ralph Bigland 1786.

Administration

  • County: Gloucestershire
  • Civil Registration District: Stow on the Wold
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Gloucester and Bristol
  • Rural Deanery: Stow
  • Poor Law Union: Stow on the Wold
  • Hundred: Slaughter
  • Province: Canterbury
  • Petty Sessional Division:
  • Couty Court District: Stow on the Wold