Abston Kellys Gloucestershire Directory 1856

Abston, with Wick, forms a township, parish and village, 4 miles east from Keynsham railway station, 7 east from Bristol, 7 north-east from Bath, 6 south-west from Chipping Sodbury, 3 south-east from Mangotsfield railway station, and 113 from London, in Pucklechurch Hundred, Chipping Sodbury Union, West Gloucestershire, Bristol archdeaconry, and Gloucester and Bristol bishopric. It is situated on the river Boyd, the old road from Bath to Bristol running through the parish. The church of St. James is an old some building, with square tower, in the early English style, and has lately been repaired; it has nave, chancel, porch, organ, font, two monuments, and 6 bells. The living is annexed to Pucklechurch, in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Wells; the Rev. Thomas Boucher Coney, M.A., is the incumbent; the Rev. G. Butterfield is the curate. There are chapels for Independents and Wesleyans; also a small National school for boys and girls, with residence for the master. Lead, tin, and coal are found in this parish. The population, in 1851, was 826; and the acreage is 2,315 acres. The soil is loamy; the subsoil is chiefly rock. Richard Hayne, Esq., is lord of the manor; and Mr. Hayne and Miss Drumond are chief landowners.

Wick is a hamlet in the parish of Abston, from which it is distant 1 ½ miles south, on the Bath and Bristol road. It is situated in a beautiful and romantic valley, through which runs the river Boyd; but the most remarkable object of attraction is the rocks, a great natural curiosity, formed on each side of a deep glen, about three quarters of a mile in length, and rising in some places to above 200 feet in height. There is a beautiful sparry substance found on them in many places, called rock or Bristol diamonds. On the summit of the northern cliff is a fine Roman Camp; its form is oblong, and is defended an three sides by a broad ditch and double vallum; the interior contains about 12 acres of land, and several cottages. In a field near Tracey Park are several large stones, about five feet high, and said to be the remains of Druidical monuments, erected to British chiefs. A new church was finished and consecrated in April, 1850, dedicated to St. Bartholomew. It is in the early English style; the altar-rail, choir, screen, stalls and pulpit are of oak; the font is of Pennant stone. It will afford accommodation for 400 persons. Holybrook and Bridgegate, or Bridge Yate, are villages in this township. Here are Rolling Iron Mill and Boyd Iron Mill. Cold Harbour, Lime Brook, Tog Hill, and High field, are farms. Bridge Yate is a polling place for the Western division of the county.


Saunders William, esq. Bridge Yate house


Bryan James, farmer

Camery Joseph, farmer & beer retailer

Harrington John, parish clerk & gardener

Hudd – , lime burner

Jefferis Leonard, carpenter, builder & timber dealer, Bridge Yate

Jefferis Thomas, carpenter & blacksmith, Bridge Yate

Marshall Henry, farmer

Perry David, farmer

Perry Henry, beer retailer, surveyor of roads & assistant overseer

Perry Matthew, farmer

Perry William, farmer & beer retailer

Saunders John, farmer, Bridge Yate

Sparrow John, farmer, Bridge Yate

Summervill Thomas, farmer

Trubody Thomas, “White Hart,’ Bridge Yate

Wakefield John, farmer

Wilmot Robert, farmer, Bridge Yate



Ashley Jacob, esq

Boulton Thomas, esq

Butterfield Rev. George, Wick court

Chitt Miss Sarah

Cole Capt. Thomas Henry

Syle Mrs. Rose Cottage, Bridge Yate

Woodward Mrs.


Allen Moses, shoemaker, Holybrook

Amos Henry, farmer, Lime brook farm

Amos Samuel, tailor

Amos William, ‘Crown’

Ashley Emma (Mrs.), shopkeeper

Ashley Jacob, surgeon

Ashley Samuel, farmer & lime burner, Wick rocks

Bedford Wm. farmer & cattle dealer

Boughton Henry, shopkpr. Bridge Yate

Brain George, shoemaker

Britten William, beer retailer

Bryan Daniel, tailor

Bryan Wm. carpenter & wheelwright

Crew Henry, farmer, Toghill farm

Davis Edward, shoemaker

Downs Thomas Beams, miller

Edmonds David, iron merchant & iron forger, Iron rolling mills

Edwards George, shopkeeper

Gibbs Moses, farmer, Highfield farm

Gibbs Wm. farmer, Highfield Lodge farm

Gooderep John Michael, farmer

Gunning William, mason

Heming Elizabeth (Miss), schoolmistress

Heming William, wheelwright, carpenter & builder

Holloway James, farmer, Wilks’s farm

Hyatt Henry, miller

Kidd George Edwd. Carpenter & farmer

Knapp Richard, farmer, Wick court

Knight George Toghill, ‘Carpenters’ Arms,’ & postmaster

Lambert Emily (Miss), schoolmistress

Mathews Hy. farmer, Cold Harbour farm

Mayberry Margaret (Mrs.), iron merchant & iron works, Boyd iron forge

Mizen John, farmer, Holybrook

Mizen Reuben, farmer

Nelms Guy, farmer

Nelms John, farmer

Nowell Charles, shoemaker

Packer James, blacksmith

Packer Joseph, shoemaker

Packer Samuel, tiler & plasterer

Pritchard Isaac, farmer

Smallcombe Isaac, farmer, Holybrook

Williams John, shopkeeper, builder, plasterer, tiler & beer retlr. Holybrook

POST OFFICE. – George Toghill Knight, receiver. Letters from Bath arrive at 12 a.m.; dispatched at ½ past 2 p.m. The nearest money order office is at Keynsham.

Source:Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire with Bath and Bristol. Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., 19, 20 & 21, Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1856.