Abson and Wick Kellys Gloucestershire Directory 1863

Abson-cum-Wick is a parish and village, 4 miles east from Keynsham railway station, 7 east from Bristol, 7 north-east from Bath, 7 south-west from Chipping Sodbury, 3 south-east from Mangotsfield railway station, and 113 from London, in Pucklechurch hundred, Chipping Sodbury union and county court district, West Gloucestershire, rural deanery of Hawkesbury, Bristol archdeaconry, and Gloucester and Bristol bishopric. It is situated on the river Boyd, the old road from Bath to Bristol running through the parish. The church of St. James is an old stone building, with square tower, in the Early English style, and has been repaired; it has nave, chancel, porch, organ, font, two monuments, and 6 bells. The living is a chapelry, annexed to Pucklechurch, in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Wells; the Rev. Thomas Boucher Coney, M.A., of Balliol College, Oxford, rural dean, is the incumbent; the Rev. Thomas Crossley, M.A., of Trinity Hall, Cambridge, is the curate. There are chapels for Independents and Wesleyans; also a small National school for boys and girls, with residence for the master. Lead, tin, and coal are found in this parish. The population in 1861 was 833; and the acreage is 2,315. The soil is loamy; the subsoil is chiefly rock. Messrs. Batterbury and Tolman are lords of the manor; and Mr. Batterbury and the Drummond family are chief landowners.

Wick is a portion of the parish of Abson, from which it is distant 1 mile and a half south, on the Bath and Bristol road. It is situated in a beautiful and romantic valley, through which runs the river Boyd; but the most remarkable objects of attraction are The Rocks, great natural curiosities, formed on each side of a deep glen, about three-quarters of a mile in length, and rising in some places to above 200 feet in height. There is a beautiful sparry substance found on them in many places, called rock, or Bristol, diamonds. On the summit of the northern cliff is a fine Roman camp: its form is oblong, and it is defended on three sides by a broad ditch and double vallum; the interior contains about 12 acres of land and several cottages. In a field near Tracey Park are two large stones, about five feet high, said to be the remains of Druidical monuments erected to British chiefs. A new church (St. Bartholomew’s) was finished and consecrated in April, 1850; it is in the Early English style; the altar-rail, choir screen, stalls and pulpit are of oak; the font is of Pennant stone. It will afford accommodation for 400 persons. Here are two iron rolling mills.

Cold Harbour, Lime Brook, Tog Hill, and Highfield are farms. Bridge Yate is a polling-place for the western division of the county. Holybrook and Bridgegate, or Bridge Yate, are hamlets in the parish of Abson-cum-Wick.

Parish Clerk, John Harrington.


Saunders Wm. esq. Bridge Yate house


Camery Joseph, farmer

Harrington John, gardener

Hoskins Edwd. White Hart, Bridge yate

Jefferis Leonard, carpenter, builder & timber dealer, Bridge yate

Jefferis Thomas, carpenter & blacksmith, Bridge yate

Marshall Henry, farmer

Perry & Oakford, lime burners

Perry Henry, beer retailer

Perry Mark, farmer

Perry Matthew, farmer, Highfield

Perry Richard, farmer

Perry William, farmer

Saunders Sarah (Mrs.), farmer, Bridge yate

Sparrow John, farmer. Bridge yate

Summerhill Thomas, farmer

Wakefield John, farmer

Wall James, farmer

Letters are received through Wick


Ashley Jacob, esq

Chitt Miss Sarah

Cole Capt. Thomas Henry

Hyatt Mrs. Wick green

Syle Mrs. Rose cottage, Bridge yate

Woodward Mrs.


Amos Henry, farmer, Lime Brook farm

Amos Samuel, tailor

Ashley Jacob, surgeon

Batterbury John Hen. farmer, Wick crt

Bedford Wm. farmer & cattle dealer

Boughton Henry, shopkpr. Bridge yate

Britten William, beer retailer

Bryan Wm. carpenter & wheelwright

Bryant Henry, shopkeeper

Davis James, Crown

Downs Thomas Beams, miller

Edmonds David, iron merchant & iron forger, Iron rolling mills

Edwards Mary (Mrs.), shopkeeper

Eyles William, miller

Gibbs William, farmer & lime burner, Wick rocks

Gooderep John Michael, farmer

Gunning William, mason

Heming William, wheelwright, carpenter & builder

Higgins William, iron merchant & Iron works, Boyd’s iron forge

Holloway James, farmer, Wilks’s farm

Kidd George Edward, farmer

Knapp Richard, farmer

Mathews Hy.farmer,Cold Harbour farm

Mizen John, farmer, Holybrook

Mizen Reuben, farmer

Nelms Guy, farmer

Nelms John, farmer

Nowell Charles, shopkeeper

Packer Edwin, tiler & plasterer

Packer James, blacksmith

Packer Joseph, shoemaker

Pritchard Isaac, farmer

Smallcombe Isaac, farmer, Holybrook

Williams John, shopkeeper, builder, plasterer, tiler & beer retlr. Holybrook

Young Thomas, Carpenters’ Arms

Post Office. — Charles Nowell, receiver. Letters from Bath arrive at 9 a.m.; dispatched at 3 p.m. The nearest money order office is at Keynsham.

National School, George Malcomber, master; Mrs. F. Malcomber, mistress.

Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire, Herefordshire, Shropshire and the City of Bristol, Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1863.