Abson and Wick is a parish in Gloucestershire.
Alternative names: Abson-cum-Wick, Wick and Abson.
Other places in the parish include: Holybrook, Bridgegate or Bridge Yate.
Parish church: Abson, St. James; Wick, St. Bartholomew (consecrated 1850).
Parish registers begin: 1687
Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational and Wesleyan Methodist.
Parishes adjacent to Abson and Wick
Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales Circa 1870
Abson, Abston, or Abbotston, a village and a parish in Chipping-Sodbury district, Gloucester. The village stands on a small tributary of the Avon, 3 miles SE of Mangotsfield r. station, and 7 E by N of Bristol. The parish contains also the villages of Bridgegate and Holbrook; and is sometimes called Abson-cum-Wick, and sometimes Wick and Abson. Post-town, Wick under Bath. Acres, 2,315. Real property, £5,541. Pop., 833. Houses, 185. The manor belonged to the abbey of Glastonbury, passed to the see of Bath and Wells, and was purchased by Henry VIII. An abrupt rocky hill, about 200 feet high, adjacent to Abson village, shows vestiges of an ancient camp. Tog hill was the scene of Sir Ralph Hopton’s defeat of the parliamentary forces in 1643. Roman coins and urns have been found. The living is a p. curacy, united to the vicarage of Pucklechurch, in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Absom with Wick, 4 miles N. W. Chipping-Sodbury. P. 794.
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1840
Abson, Abston, or Abbotston, a chapelry in the parish and hund. of Pucklechurch, Chipping-Sodbury union, county of Gloucester; 7 miles east by north from Bristol. It includes the hamlets of Wick, Berdwick, Church-Eight, and Holybrook. Living, a curacy united to the vicarage of Pucklechurch, in the archd. of Gloucester and dio. of Gloucester and Bristol. The manor of Abson anciently belonged to the abbey of Glastonbury; it was afterwards annexed to the see of Bath and Wells, but purchased by Henry VIII. Pop., in 1801, 571; in 1831, 824. Houses 159. Acres 2,170. A. P. £5,219. Poor rates, in 1837, £283. Above the village of Abson, rises a rocky perpendicular hill to the height of above 200 feet, consisting of alternate strata of limestone and petrosilex. In the vicinity are vestiges of an ancient camp. — At Toghill, in this parish, Sir Ralph Hopton defeated the parliamentary forces in 1643. The battle lasted nearly twelve hours.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1840.
A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland 1833
Abson With Wyke, co. Gloucester.
P. T. Bristol (114) 7 m. E b N. Pop. 715.
A parochial chapelry, including the hamlets of Bordwick, Church, Eight, and Holybrook. Church ded. to St. James; subject to vicar of Pucklechurch.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland by John Gorton. The Irish and Welsh articles by G. N. Wright; Vol. I; London; Chapman and Hall, 186, Strand; 1833.
A Topographical Dictionary of the United Kingdom 1808
Abston, a small township united with Wick, in the parish of Pucklechurch, Gloucester; containing; 111 houses and 571 inhabitants, 7 miles from Bristol. Here are the remains of some old fortifications. Near it is a field called the Castler, where remain three monumental stones, erected in 577 for three British chiefs, from Chevelin, slain in battle near this place. A dark coloured stone produced here, and burned into lime, makes excellent terras.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of the United Kingdom. Benjamin Pitts Capper. 1808.
FamilySearch – Birth Marriage & Death records, Census, Migration & Naturalization and Military records – Free
Gloucestershire, England, Church of England Baptisms, Marriages and Burials, 1538-1813 (Ancestry)
Gloucestershire, England, Church of England Records (Ancestry)
The Joiner Marriage Index
England, Boyd’s Marriage Indexes, 1538-1850 (FindMyPast) – free
National Burial Index (FindMyPast) – free
Abson and Wick Gloucestershire 1876
Abson and Wick Kellys Gloucestershire Directory 1863
Abston Kellys Gloucestershire Directory 1856
- County: Gloucestershire
- Civil Registration District: Chipping Sodbury
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Gloucester and Bristol
- Rural Deanery: Hawkesbury
- Poor Law Union: Chipping Sodbury
- Hundred: Pucklechurch
- Province: Canterbury
- Petty Sessional Division:
- Couty Court District: Chipping Sodbury