Woodham Ferrers is an Ancient Parish in the county of Essex.
Other places in the parish include: Bicknacre.
Alternative names: Woodham Ferris
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1558
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1629
Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational and Protestant Dissenters.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
WOODHAM-FERRIS, a parish, with a village, in Chelmsford district, Essex; 6 miles SW of Maldon r. station. It has a post-office under Chelmsford. Acres, 4,481. Real property, £5,868. Pop., 947. Houses, 192. The manor belongs to Lord Rayleigh. Burketts Hall is the seat of E. Hamilton, Esq. A mansion of Archbishop Sandys was here, and part of it is still standing. A black priory was founded at Bicknacre, in the time of Henry III. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £950. Patron, Sir B. W. Bridges, Bart. The church is good; and there are Independent and Wesleyan chapels, a national school, and charities £65.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Below is a list of people that were declared bankrupt between 1820 and 1843 extracted from The Bankrupt Directory; George Elwick; London; Simpkin, Marshall and Co.; 1843.
Yell Jos.; and Jas. Yell, jun.: Woodham Ferris, Essex, jobbers, Sept. 8, 1821.
The following records are available free online.
Monumental inscriptions at the Congregational Church, Woodham Ferrers, and the Community Church, South Woodham Ferrers : 81 inscriptions at Congregational Church including unmarked graves, 7 inscriptions at Community Church Author: Tunstill, Yvonne; Jemmeson, Christine; Essex Society for Family History
- County: Essex
- Civil Registration District: Chelmsford
- Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Essex
- Diocese: Pre-1846 - London, Post-1845 - Rochester
- Rural Deanery: Pre-1845 - Chelmsford, Post-1844 - Danbury
- Poor Law Union: Chelmsford
- Hundred: Chelmsford
- Province: Canterbury