Witham, Essex Family History Guide

Witham is an Ancient Parish and a market town in the county of Essex.

Alternative names:

Parish church:

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1650
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1800

Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational, Particular Baptist, Roman Catholic, Society of Friends/Quaker, and Wesleyan Methodist.

Adjacent Parishes

Parish History

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

WITHAM, a small town, a parish, a sub-district, a district, a hundred, and a division, in Essex. The town stands on the Roman road from London to Colchester, at an intersection of railways, near the influx of the Podsbrook rivulet to the Blackwater, 8 miles NE of Chelmsford; was built and fortified by Edward the Elder; passed to Eustace of Boulogne, the Knights Templars, and the Knights of St. John; was a seat of assizes in 1568; is now a seat of petty-sessions; consists chiefly of one long street; and has a head post-office, a r. station with telegraph, a banking office, a good inn, a police station, a literary institution, an ancient church, partially built of Roman bricks, a church of 1842, built at a cost of £5,000, a handsome Independent chapel, rebuilt in 1840, three other dissenting chapels, a Roman Catholic chapel, national and British schools, two suites of alms-house s with £80 and £172 a year, a workhouse of 1838, built at a cost of £6,850, some general charities, a weekly market on Tuesday evenings, and fairs on Whit-Friday and Whit-Saturday. The parish comprises 3,633 acres. Real property, £15,629. Pop. in 1851, 3,303; in 1861, 3,455. Pop., 674. There are four manors. The living is a vicarage, with All Saints chapelry, in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £473. Patron, the Bishop of R. The sub-district contains 7 parishes. Acres, 17,251. Pop., 6,947. Houses, 1,443.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Bankrupts

Below is a list of people that were declared bankrupt between 1820 and 1843 extracted from The Bankrupt Directory; George Elwick; London; Simpkin, Marshall and Co.; 1843.

Butler George, Witham, Essex, builder, March 10, 1843.

Collis Christ. Annet, Chipping hill, Witham, Essex, victualler. Dec. 7, 1838.

Fairhead David, Witham, Essex, baker, Dec. 11, 1838.

Perry William, Witham, Essex, coachmaker, May 14, 1830.

Pitstow John, jun., Witham, Essex, miller, April 6, 1822.

Whale William, Witham, Essex, victualler, March 27, 1827.

Youngman Philip, Witham. Essex, bookseller and stationer, March 18, 1826.

Parish Records

FamilySearch Catalog

The following records are available free online.

Census

Census returns for Witham, 1841-1891

Church Records

Births and baptisms, 1823-1837 Author: Independent Chapel (Newland Street, Witham, Essex)

Births, baptisms and burials, 1752-1837 Author: Independent Chapel (Newland Street, Witham, Essex)

Births, marriages and burials, 1647-1837 Author: Society of Friends. Witham Monthly Meetings (England)

Bishop’s transcripts for Witham, 1800-1866 Author: Church of England. Parish Church of Witham (Essex)

Pages from a historical book of Witham, England : discussing the use of parish registers and giving some sample entries

Parish register printouts of Witham, Essex, England (Independent, Newland Street Chapel) ; christenings, 1752-1837 Author: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Genealogical Department

Maps

Vision of Britain historical maps

Administration

  • County: Essex
  • Civil Registration District: Witham
  • Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Colchester
  • Diocese: Pre-1846 - London, Post-1845 - Rochester
  • Rural Deanery: Witham
  • Poor Law Union: Witham
  • Hundred: Witham
  • Province: Canterbury