West Horndon with Ingrave is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Essex, created in 1712 from West Horndon Ancient Parish and Ingrave Ancient Parish.
Other places in the parish include: Ingrave.
Alternative names: West Horndon, West Thorndon
Parish church: St. Nicholas
Parish registers begin:
West Horndon with Ingrave
- Parish registers: 1560
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1639 only
- Parish registers: 1678
- Bishop’s Transcripts: None
Nonconformists include: Roman Catholic
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
HORNDON (WEST), or WEST THORNDON, a parish in Billericay district, Essex; 2 miles SE of Brentwood r. station. Post town, Brentwood. Acres, 470. Real property, £653. Pop., 94. Houses, 12. Thorndon Park here, was formerly the seat of the Fitzwalters; is now the seat of Lord Petre; and has some good portraits and a Roman Catholic chapel. The living is a rectory, united with the rectory of Ingrave, in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £347. Patrons, Representatives of the late Rev. R. A. Johnston. The church is a brick edifice of 1734, with a tower; and has a brass of 1400.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
HORNDON, WEST (St. Nicholas), a parish, in the union of Billericay, hundred of Barstaple, S. division of Essex, 3½ miles (S. S. E.) from Brentwood; containing 60 inhabitants. This parish, in ancient documents called Thorndon, and Little Horndon, is remarkable for the splendid mansion of Lord Petre, named Thorndon Hall, which is beautifully situated on an eminence, surrounded by an extensive and richly wooded park. The living is a rectory, with that of Ingrave united, valued in the king’s books at £14. 13. 4.; net income, £350; patron, the Rev. R. Johnstone: the tithes were commuted for land and a corn-rent in 1776. The church, a plain edifice of brick, was erected in 1734, on the union of the two livings, at the expense of the then Lord Petre. At the Hall is a private Roman Catholic chapel.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
Search Results for FamilySearch Catalog
England, Essex, West Horndon – Census ( 1 )
Census returns for West Horndon, 1841-1891
Author: Great Britain. Census Office
England, Essex, West Horndon – Church records ( 3 )
Bishop’s transcripts for Ingrave, 1800-1881
Author: Church of England. Parish Church of Ingrave (Essex); Church of England. Parish Church of West Horndon (Essex)
Bishop’s transcripts for West Horndon, 1639-1640
Author: Church of England. Parish Church of West Horndon (Essex)
Parish registers for Ingrave, 1678-1964
Author: Church of England. Parish Church of Ingrave (Essex)
- County: Essex
- Civil Registration District: Billericay
- Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Essex
- Diocese: Pre-1846 – London, Post-1845 – Rochester
- Rural Deanery: Pre-1845 – Barstable, Post-1844 – Billericay
- Poor Law Union: Billericay
- Hundred: Barstable
- Province: Canterbury