West Ham, Essex Family History Guide

West Ham is an Ancient Parish in the county of Essex.

Other places in the parish include: Maryland Point, Hudson’s Town Church Street, Hallsville, Grove, Forest Gate, Canning Town, Canning New Town, Silvertown, Upton, Victoria Docks, Stratford, and Stratford with the Grove.

Alternative names: Ham

Parish church:

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1653
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1639; 1802

Nonconformists include: Baptist, Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Independent/Congregational, Particular Baptist, Primitive Methodist, Roman Catholic, and Strict Baptist.

Adjacent Parishes

  • Stratford St John
  • Plaistow St Mary
  • East Ham
  • Bromley, Middlesex
  • Poplar All Saints, Middlesex
  • Wanstead

Parish History

West Ham

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

HAM, or WEST HAM, a village, a parish, a sub-district, and a district in Essex. The village stands E of the river Lea, between Stratford and Plaistow, near the North Woolwich and Eastern Counties railway stations at Stratford, about 1½ mile E of Bow Bridge, and 2¼ N of the Victoria Docks; is a large place, with some good houses; was formerly a market town; and has a post-office, of the name of West Ham, under Stratford, London E.

The parish is divided into three wards: Church street ward, containing West Ham village, Upton, Forest Gate, and Canning Town; Stratford ward, containing Stratford, with the Grove, the Green, and Maryland Point; and Plaistow ward, containing Plaistow village, the Marshes, Hallsville, Silvertown, and the Victoria Docks.

The increase of pop. arose from the establishment of works of the Eastern Counties railway, the erection of the Victoria Docks and iron ship building yards, the establishment of cokeovens and of India rubber and chemical works, the operations of building societies, the opening of a railway station, and some other causes. There are also extensive water works, distilleries, flour mills, a large brewery, smelting works, copper works, a medical glass factory, a large congreve war rocket establishment, water proofing manufactories, a silk printing establishment, a large patent leather cloth manufactory, and some other industrial establishments.

The chapelries of Plaistow, Barking Road, Victoria Dock, Forest Gate, Stratford St. John, Str. St. Paul, Str. Christchurch and Canning Town are separate benefices.

There are also several chapels or licensed school rooms, connected with the Established church; a number of chapels for Independents, Baptists, Methodists, and Quakers; a number of public schools, one of which has an endowment of £284 a year; two suites of alms houses, one of which has £60 a year; a suite of industrial schools, for the children of the district; and numerous charitable bequests for the poor.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Stratford

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

STRATFORD, a town, a ward, and three chapelries, in West Ham parish, Essex. The town stands on the river Lea, on the Roman road to Colchester, and on the Great Eastern railway, at a radiation of railway lines, 4½ miles E of St. Paul’s, London; had a mitred Cistertian abbey, founded in 1135 by W. de Montfitchet, and now represented by considerable remains; was the place where Henry VIII. confined the Countess of Salisbury; witnessed the martyrdom of 13 men and 2 women in the time of Queen Mary; was the birth-place, in 1692, of the naturalist G. Edwards; carries on industry in flour-mills, print-works, chemical-works, distilleries, and other establishments; publishes a weekly newspaper; communicates by a bridge with Stratford-le-Bow; and has a post-office under London E, a r. station with telegraph, a police station, a town hall built in 1868, workmen’s hall and club-rooms built in 1865, three churches built in 1833, 1851, and 1865, an Independent chapel built in 1866, Baptist and Wesleyan chapels, a Roman Catholic chapel, and industrial, national, and British schools. The ward is regarded as conterminate with the town, forms a sub-district of West Ham district, and is sometimes called Stratford-Langthorne. Real property, £43,863; of which £1,117 are in gasworks. Pop. in 1851, 10,586; in 1861, 15,994. Houses, 2,773. The chapelries are St. John, Christchurch, and St. Paul. The livings are vicarages in the diocese of Rochester. Value of St. J., £310; of £130; of St. P., £300. Patron of St. J., the Vicar of West Ham; of and St. P., Trustees.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Bankrupts

Below is a list of people that were declared bankrupt between 1820 and 1843 extracted from The Bankrupt Directory; George Elwick; London; Simpkin, Marshall and Co.; 1843.

Allen Samuel, Stratford, Essex, coal merchant, Dec. 3, 1830.

Briant Chas., West Ham, Essex, late Northfleet, Kent, jobber, Jan. 15, 1828.

Carter Samuel, Stratford, Essex, cheesemonger, July 19, 1823.

Cooke Thomas Walkinton, Stratford, Essex, brewer, Dec. 25. 1824.

Cooper Robert, Stratford, Essex, grocer and cheesemonger, March 30, 1822.

Corbett Thomas, West Ham, Essex, nurseryman, July 17, 1835.

Dennis Robert, West Ham, Essex, victualler, Sept. 21, 1832.

East Samuel, Green Man, Stratford, Essex, victualler, June 25, 1825.

Haselwood William, Stratford, Essex. stationer & schoolmaster, Aug. 4, 1826.

Kendall James, Stratford, Essex, cowkaeper, Oct. 17. 1828.

Lawrence George, Stratford, Essex, silk manufacturer, July 28, 1821.

Miles William, West Ham, Essex, cattle salesman, Feb. 2, 1836.

Moseley Henry Ellis, Forest-gate, West Ham, Essex, victualler, Sept. 18, 1838.

Nutt David, Stratford Green, Essex, merchant, March 25, 1842.

Rees Joseph, Stratford, Essex, chemist and druggist, Sept. 1, 1837.

Riddell Thos.; and Christ. Buckle; Stratford, Essex, victuallers, Oct. 22, 1833.

Spence Thos., Maryland point, Stratford, Essex, market gardener, Dec. 6, 1842.

Stratton Hen., Chapel pl., Stratford, Essex, wine & spirit mercht., Nov. 22, 1825.

Vigevena Joseph James, City Mills, Stratford, Essex, calenderer, Sept. 8, 1826.

Woodcock John, Stratford, Essex, builder, Feb. 8, 1842.

Woodcock John, West Ham, Essex, carpenter and builder, Feb. 13, 1827.

Maps

Vision of Britain historical maps

Administration

  • County: Essex
  • Civil Registration District: West Ham
  • Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Essex
  • Diocese: Pre-1846 - London, Post-1845 - Rochester
  • Rural Deanery: Barking
  • Poor Law Union: West Ham
  • Hundred: Becontree
  • Province: Canterbury