West Bergholt is an Ancient Parish in the county of Essex.

Alternative names:

Parish church:

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1559
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1639; 1800

Nonconformists include: Primitive Methodist and Wesleyan Methodist.

Adjacent Parishes

Parish History

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

BERGHOLT (West), a parish in Lexden district, Essex; on the river Colne, near the Eastern Counties railway, 4 miles NW of Colchester. It has a post-office under Colchester. Acres, 2,273. Real property, £4,238. Pop., 906. Houses, 198. The property is subdivided. A circular entrenchment here is thought to have been the site of the residence of the British King, Cunobeline. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £600. Patron, W. F. Hobbs, Esq. The church is good.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Parish Records

Directories

Poll Books

Administration

  • County: Essex
  • Civil Registration District: Lexden
  • Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Colchester
  • Diocese: Pre-1846 – London, Post-1845 – Rochester
  • Rural Deanery: Pre-1847 – Lexden, Post-1846 – Dedham
  • Poor Law Union: Lexden and Winstree
  • Hundred: Lexden
  • Province: Canterbury

Similar Posts