Upminster is an Ancient Parish in the county of Essex.
Other places in the parish include: Hackton, Harton, Corbets Tey, and Corbetstye.
Parish church: St. Lawrence
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1543
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1639; 1813
Nonconformists include: General Baptist and Independent/Congregational.
- Great Warley
- North Ockendon
- South Weald
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
UPMINSTER, a parish, with a village and two hamlets, in Romford district, Essex; 3¼ miles E of Romford r. station. It has a post-office under Romford. Acres, 3,373. Real property, £8,225. Pop. in 1851, 1,228; in 1861, 1,342. Houses, 263. The property is subdivided; and there are some good residences. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £960. Patron, the Rev. H. A. Holden. The church was recently rebuilt. There are an Independent chapel and British and national schools. Derham, the author of "Physico-Theology," was rector.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
UPMINSTER (St. Lawrence), a parish, in the union of Romford, hundred of Chafford, S. division of Essex, 3½ miles (E. S. E.) from Romford; containing 1117 inhabitants. This parish is about seven miles in length, and one mile in average breadth. It contains the hamlets of Corbetstye, Upminster-Common, and Harton; and comprises 3369a. 1r. 36p., of which 1241 acres are arable, 1010 meadow and pasture, 91 woodland, 148 common, and 178 in roads, &c. The surface towards the north is considerably elevated; the soil in the uplands is clayey, and in the low grounds light and sandy. The scenery is enlivened with numerous good residences and flourishing plantations. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £26. 13. 4., and in the patronage of the Trustees of the late J. R. Holden, Esq.: the tithes have been commuted for £1052, and there are 23 acres of glebe. The church is a handsome structure, with a tower and spire; on the north side of the chancel is a chapel belonging to Gaines Hall. Here is a place of worship for Independents. Dr. Derham, author of Physico-Theology, &c., was rector of the parish from 1689 to 1735.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
Civil Registration District: Romford
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Essex
Diocese: Pre-1846 - London, Post-1845 - Rochester
Rural Deanery: Chafford
Poor Law Union: Romford