Ulting is an Ancient Parish in the county of Essex.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1723
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1629
- Woodham Walter
- Hatfield Peverel
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
ULTING, a parish in Witham district, Essex; on the river Chelmer, 4 miles SSW of Witham r. station. Post town, Maldon. Acres, 1,147. Real property, £2,295. Pop., 169. Houses, 36. The manor belongs to R. Nicholson, Esq. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £350. Patron, Sidney-Sussex College, Cambridge. The church is ancient.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
ULTING (All Saints), a parish, in the union and hundred of Witham, N. division of Essex, 4½ miles (S. S. W.) from Witham; containing 150 inhabitants. This parish, which is bounded on the south by the river Chelmer, is about six miles in circumference; the soil is generally fertile, and well cultivated. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £7. 4. 2., and in the gift of Miss M. H. Bailey: the great tithes have been commuted for £187.17., and the vicarial for £164. 12. The church is a small stone edifice, with a turret of wood surmounted by a shingled spire, and is beautifully situated near the river.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
Civil Registration District: Witham
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Colchester
Diocese: Pre-1846 - London, Post-1845 - Rochester
Rural Deanery: Pre-1847 - Witham, Post-1846 - Hatfield Peverel
Poor Law Union: Witham