Ugley is an Ancient Parish in the county of Essex.
Alternative names: Oakley
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1559
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1629; 1800
- Stanstead Mountfitchet
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
UGLEY, or Oakley, a parish in the district of Bishop-Stortford and county of Essex; 2 miles N of Stamford r. station, and 5½ NNE of Bishop-Stortford. Post town, Bishop-Stortford. Acres, 2,720. Real property, £3,019. Pop., 404. Houses, 88. The property is subdivided. Orford House is the seat of Gen. Chamberlayne. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £160. Patron, Christ's Hospital. The church was recently restored. There are a national school, and charities £75.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Vision of Britain historical maps
Civil Registration District: Bishops Stortford
Probate Court: Court of the Commissary of the Bishop of London (Essex and Hertfordshire Division)
Diocese: Pre-1846 - London, Post-1845 - Rochester
Rural Deanery: Pre-1847 - Sampford, Post-1846 - Newport
Poor Law Union: Bishop's Stortford
Hundred: Clavering (Essex)