Twinstead is an Ancient Parish in the county of Essex.

Alternative names: Tunstead, Twinsted

Parish church:

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1567
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1639; 1813

Nonconformists include:

Adjacent Parishes

Parish History

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

TWINSTEAD, a parish in the district of Sudbury and county of Essex; 3 miles SSW of Sudbury r. station. Post town, Sudbury. Acres, 1,008. Real property, £2,179. Pop., 193. Houses, 48. T. Hall is the seat of B. Sparrow, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £250. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church was built in 1860, and is in the geometric style.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Parish Records

Directories

Poll Books

Administration

  • County: Essex
  • Civil Registration District: Sudbury
  • Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Middlesex (Essex and Hertfordshire Division)
  • Diocese: Pre-1846 – London, Post-1845 – Rochester
  • Rural Deanery: Hedingham
  • Poor Law Union: Sudbury
  • Hundred: Hinckford
  • Province: Canterbury

Similar Posts