Stanway is an Ancient Parish in the county of Essex.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1704
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1639; 1800
- All Saints in Stanway and Lexden
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
STANWAY, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in Lexden district, Essex. The village stands 1 mile E of Marks-Tey r. station, and 4 W by S of Colchester; and has a post-office under Colchester. The parish contains Lexden workhouse, and comprises 3,368 acres. Real property, £5,611. Pop., 964. Houses, 157. The property is divided among a few. S. Hall is the seat of G. De Horne, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £738. Patron, Magdalen College, Oxford. The church is good; and there is a national school. See Stanway-All Saints. The sub-district contains 9 parishes. Acres, 17,338. Pop., 4,663. Houses, 918.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
STANWAY (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Lexden and Winstree, Colchester division of the hundred of Lexden, N. division of Essex, 4 miles (W. by S.) from Colchester; containing 807 inhabitants. This parish, which is about nine miles in circumference, and situated in a highly cultivated district, appears, from the remains of a second church, to have been formerly divided into the two parishes of Magna and Parva. A fair is held on the 23rd of April. The living is a rectory, valued in the king’s books at £10. 17. 6., and in the gift of Magdalen College, Oxford: the tithes have been commuted for £776, and the glebe comprises 79 acres. The church, which stands near the London road, is a small ancient edifice with a wooden turret. A second incumbency in the parish, a perpetual curacy, is in the gift of the Bishop of Rochester. Here is the workhouse for the union of Lexden and Winstree, built in 1837, at a cost of £6500: the union comprises 35 parishes or places, and contains a population of 20,881. A number of large bones and other remains, probably of elephants brought over by Claudius in the year 43, were found in 1764, lying in a stratum of sea sand and shells.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
- County: Essex
- Civil Registration District: Lexden
- Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Colchester
- Diocese: Pre-1846 - London, Post-1845 - Rochester
- Rural Deanery: Pre-1847 - Lexden, Post-1846 - Coggeshall
- Poor Law Union: Lexden and Winstree
- Hundred: Lexden
- Province: Canterbury