St Osyth is an Ancient Parish in the county of Essex.
Other places in the parish include: Wigborough Wick and New Frowick.
Alternative names: Chick St Osyth, St Osyth Chick, St Osyth Chich
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1666
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1639; 1813
Nonconformists include: Society of Friends/Quaker, Swedenborgian/New Jerusalem/New Church, and Wesleyan Methodist.
- Great Bentley
- Great Clacton
- Little Clacton
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
OSYTH (St.), a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in Tendring district, Essex. The village stands on acreek of the river Colne, 1¾ mile N of the coast, 2¾ SE of Brightlingsea r. station, and 11 SE of Colchester; is one of the oldest places in the county; was known to the Saxons as Chich; took its present name from St Osyth, daughter of King Redwald and wife of King Sighere of the East Saxons; and has a post-office under Colchester, and a fair on Holy Thursday. The parish contains also the hamlets of New Frowick and Wigborough-Wick; extends to the coast; and comprises 8,571 acres of land, and 1,100 of water. Real property, £13,070. Pop., 1,638. Houses, 349. The manor, with Hill House, belongs to Brandreth, Esq. A nunnery was founded here by St. Osyth, who was its first abbess, and suffered martyrdom by the Danes. The nunnery was burnt by the Danes; and the remains of it were given, by Canute, to Earl Godwin. An Augustinian priory was founded on its site, in 1118, by Bishop Belmeis; and passed to the Cromwells, the D’ Arcies, and the Earls of Rochford; and considerable portions of it are now included in the mansion called the Priory, the residence of J. H. Johnson, Esq. Much of the land is marsh; but part is comparatively high, and includes Beacon Hill. A battery and two martello towers are on the coast. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £150. Patron, the Bishop of Rochester. The church is ancient, large, and good; has aisles and a tower; and contains some monuments of the D’ Arcies. There are chapels for Wesleyans and Swedenborgians, a national school, and charities £10. The sub-district contains also seven other parishes. Acres, 26,942. Pop., 6,072. Houses, 1,351.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
England and Wales Delineated Thomas Dugdale 1835
Name of Place: Osyth Saint; County: Essex; Number of Miles from: Colchester – 12; Manningtree – 12; Harwich – 15; Dist. Lond. – 63; Population: 1583.
Osyth, Saint, or Chich. This place receives its name from a daughter of Redwald, King of East Anglia, who was murdered by the Danes. She founded a nunnery here, which afterwards became a priory of Augustine Canons, the remains of which building are very noble and impressive.
Source: England and Wales Delineated by Thomas Dugdale assisted by William Burnett; published by Tallis & Co., Green Arbour Court, Old Bailey, 1835.
Below is a list of people that were declared bankrupt between 1820 and 1843 extracted from The Bankrupt Directory; George Elwick; London; Simpkin, Marshall and Co.; 1843.
Wilson Samuel, Chich St. Osyth, Essex, grocer. March 20, 1832.
- County: Essex
- Civil Registration District: Tendring
- Probate Court: Court of the Commissary of the Bishop of London (Essex and Hertfordshire Division)
- Diocese: Pre-1846 - London, Post-1845 - Rochester
- Rural Deanery: Pre-1847 - Tendring, Post-1846 - St Osyth
- Poor Law Union: Tendring
- Hundred: Tendring
- Province: Canterbury