Sible Hedingham is an Ancient Parish in the county of Essex.

Alternative names:

Parish church:

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1560
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1800

Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational and Particular Baptist.

Adjacent Parishes

Parish History

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

HEDINGHAM-SIBLE, a village and a parish in Halstead district, Essex. The village stands adjacent to the river Colne and the Colne-Valley railway, near Castle-Hedingham r. station, 3¼ miles NW of Halstead; and has a post-office under Halstead, a public reading room and library, and a fair on Easter Tuesday. The parish comprises 5, 394 acres. Real property, £10, 998. Pop., 2, 123. Houses, 508. The property is much subdivided. The manor belonged to Robert Bigod, and passed to the De Veres. Upwards of 40 acres are under hops. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £905. Patron, the Rev. H. Warburton. The church is decorated English, in good condition; consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with a tower; and contains memorials of Sir John Hawkhood, who figured as a warrior in the time of Edward III., and was a native of the parish. There are a Baptist chapel, a national school, an ancient chantry house now used as an alms house, and charities £76.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Parish Records

Directories

Poll Books

Administration

  • County: Essex
  • Civil Registration District: Halstead
  • Probate Court: Court of the Commissary of the Bishop of London (Essex and Hertfordshire Division)
  • Diocese: Pre-1846 – London, Post-1845 – Rochester
  • Rural Deanery: Hedingham
  • Poor Law Union: Halstead
  • Hundred: Hinckford
  • Province: Canterbury

Similar Posts