Shellow Bowells is an Ancient Parish in the county of Essex.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1553
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1629
- Beauchamp Roding
- Willingale Doe
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
SHELLOW-BOWELLS, a parish in Ongar district, Essex; 5 miles NE of Ongar r. station. Post town, Ongar, under Brentwood. Acres, 457. Real property, £649. Pop., 110. Houses, 23. The manor belongs to W. T. Bramston, Esq. The living is a rectory, annexed to Willingale-Doe, in the diocese of Rochester. The church is a brick building.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851
Shellow-Bowels, a parish in the hund. of Dunmow, union of Ongar, county of Essex; 6¼ miles west-west by north of Chelmsford. Living, a discharged rectory, annexed to that of Willingdale-Doe. Acres 1,030. Houses 24. A. P. £500. Pop., in 1801, 104; in 1831, 143. Poor rates, in 1838, £20 15s.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.
- County: Essex
- Civil Registration District: Ongar
- Probate Court: Court of the Commissary of the Bishop of London (Essex and Hertfordshire Division)
- Diocese: Pre-1846 - London, Post-1845 - Rochester
- Rural Deanery: Pre-1845 - Dunmow, Post-1844 - Roding
- Poor Law Union: Ongar
- Hundred: Dunmow
- Province: Canterbury