Roydon is an Ancient Parish in the county of Essex.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1567
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1800
Nonconformists include: Baptist and Independent/Congregational.
- Hoddesdon, Hertfordshire
- Stanstead Abbots, Hertfordshire
- Eastwick, Hertfordshire
- Hunsdon, Hertfordshire
- Great Parndon
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
ROYDON, a village and a parish in Epping district, Essex. The village stands on the river Stort, and on the Eastern Counties railway, at the boundary with Herts, 4½ miles W by S of Harlow; is sometimes called Woodredon; was formerly a market-town; and has a station on the railway, and a post-office under Ware. The parish comprises 2,995 acres. Rated property, £6,254. Pop., 910. Houses, 186. The property is subdivided. R. Lodge and Mount Pleasant are chief residences. Nether Hall, an ancient mansion, belonged to the Colte family, but is now represented only by agateway; and the property connected with it belongs now to J. A. Houblon, Esq. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £150. Patron, the Earl of Mornington. The church was repaired in 1854; and has an embattled tower and a new spire. There are an Independent chapel which was enlarged in 1865, an endowed school with £47 a year, and charities £11.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
The following records are available free online.
- County: Essex
- Civil Registration District: Epping
- Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Middlesex (Essex and Hertfordshire Division)
- Diocese: Pre-1846 – London, Post-1845 – Rochester
- Rural Deanery: Harlow
- Poor Law Union: Epping
- Hundred: Harlow; Waltham
- Province: Canterbury