Rivenhall is an Ancient Parish in the county of Essex.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1634
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1629
Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
RIVENHALL, a parish, with a village, in Witham district, Essex; on an affluent of the river Blackwater, 1¾ mile N by E of Witham r. station. It has a post-office under Witham. Acres, 3,589. Real property, £5,755. Pop., 719. Houses, 158. R. manor belonged to Queen Editha; and passed to Eustace de Boulogne, the Scaleses, the Widvilles, the Eateses, and others. There are four other manors. R. Place belongs to the Western family, and is the residence of the Rev. Sir J. P. Wood, Bart. Dorwards Hall is the residence of H. Dixon, Esq. Remains of a Roman villa, with traces of a tesselated pavement 1,200 feet long, were found near the church. The parish is a meet for the Essex and the Suffolk hounds. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £760. Patron, T. B. Western, Esq. The church is good; has an E window with stainedglass of the time of Rufus; and contains a fine monument, of 1594, to Sir R. Wiseman. There are a free school, and charities £14. Tusser, author of “Five Hundred Points of Good Husbandry,” was a native.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
The following records are available free online.
- County: Essex
- Civil Registration District: Witham
- Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Colchester
- Diocese: Pre-1846 - London, Post-1845 - Rochester
- Rural Deanery: Witham
- Poor Law Union: Witham
- Hundred: Witham
- Province: Canterbury