Ridgewell is an Ancient Parish in the county of Essex.
Alternative names: Ridgwell
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1562
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1629; 1813
Nonconformists include: Baptist and Independent/Congregational.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
RIDGWELL, a village and a parish in Halstead district, Essex. The village stands on the Via Devana, 1¾ mile NW of Yeldham r. station, and 5½ SE of Haverhill; occupies the site of a Roman settlement; has yielded many British and Roman antiquities, including parts of a Roman villa; was once a market-town; and has a post-office under Halstead. The parish comprises 1,717 acres. Real property, £3,619. Pep., 795. Houses, 166. The property is subdivided. R. Hall is a farm-house. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £192. Patron, St. Catherine College, Cambridge. The church is tolerable. There is an Independent chapel.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
The following records are available free online.
- County: Essex
- Civil Registration District: Halstead
- Probate Court: Court of the Commissary of the Bishop of London (Essex and Hertfordshire Division)
- Diocese: Pre-1846 - London, Post-1845 - Rochester
- Rural Deanery: Pre-1845 - Hedingham, Post-1844 - Yeldham
- Poor Law Union: Halstead
- Hundred: Hinckford
- Province: Canterbury