Rettendon is an Ancient Parish in the county of Essex.
Other places in the parish include: Battle Bridge.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1674
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1639; 1800
Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational
- East Hanningfield
- South Hanningfield
- Woodham Ferrers
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
RETTENDON, a parish in Chelmsford district, Essex; adjacent to the river Crouch, 6 miles NNE of Pitsea r.station, and 8¼ SSE of Chelmsford. It contains the village of Battle-Bridge, which has a post-office under Chelmsford. Acres, 3,932. Real property, £4,715. Pop., 785. Houses, 176. The property is much sub-divided. The manor belongs to the Rev. A. W. Bullen. A seat of the Bishop of Ely was here, and became a farm-house. The parish is a meet for the Essex Union hounds. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £765. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is later English, in good condition; consists of nave, N aisle, chancel, and chapel, with tower and spire; and contains some ancient monuments. There are an Independent chapel, an endowed school with £20a year, and charities £30.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Below is a list of people that were declared bankrupt between 1820 and 1843 extracted from The Bankrupt Directory; George Elwick; London; Simpkin, Marshall and Co.; 1843.
Carter John, Rettenden, Essex, wine merchant, April 18, 1837.
The following records are available free online.
Poorhouses & Poor Law
- County: Essex
- Civil Registration District: Chelmsford
- Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Essex
- Diocese: Pre-1846 - London, Post-1845 - Rochester
- Rural Deanery: Pre-1845 - Chelmsford, Post-1844 - Danbury
- Poor Law Union: Chelmsford
- Hundred: Chelmsford
- Province: Canterbury