Rayne is an Ancient Parish in the county of Essex.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1558
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1629
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
RAYNE, a village and a parish in Braintree district, Essex. The village stands on the river Brain, 1¾ mile W of Braintree r. station; and has a post-office under Braintree. The parish comprises 1,676 acres. Real property, £3,374. Pop., 401. Houses, 82. The property is subdivided. The manor belongs to the Earl of Essex. Clay for white bricks is worked. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £480. Patron, the Earl of Essex. The church was rebuilt in 1840. Charities, £5.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
The following records are available free online.
- County: Essex
- Civil Registration District: Braintree
- Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Middlesex (Essex and Hertfordshire Division)
- Diocese: Pre-1846 – London, Post-1845 – Rochester
- Rural Deanery: Hedingham
- Poor Law Union: Braintree
- Hundred: Hinckford
- Province: Canterbury