Ramsey is an Ancient Parish in the county of Essex.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1645
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1800
- Great Oakley
- Harkstead, Suffolk
- Shotley, Suffolk
- Little Oakley
- Erwarton, Suffolk
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
RAMSEY, a village and a parish in Tendring district, Essex. The village stands on a creek of the river Stour, 2 miles W by S of Dovercourt r. station, and 3 WSW of Harwich; commands a fine view over the river Stour; and has a post-office under Harwich, and a fair on 15 June. The parish comprises 5,238 acres of land, and 1,455 of water. Real property, £6,856. Pop., 605. Houses, 139. The property is subdivided. The manor belongs to E. W. Garland, Esq. Stour Hall, Hill House, Foulton Hall, and South Hall are chief residences. About 500 acres were recently embanked from the sea. Copperas has been worked near Stourwood. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £301. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church stands on a hill, and has a tower. There are a Wesleyan chapel, a parochial school, and charities £38.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Below is a list of people that were declared bankrupt between 1820 and 1843 extracted from The Bankrupt Directory; George Elwick; London; Simpkin, Marshall and Co.; 1843.
Wayling Richard, Ramsey, Essex, butcher, April 10, 1832.
Woodruffe Thomas, Ramsey, Essex, cattle dealer, Nov. 15, 1831.
Heraldry and monumental inscriptions in the churches, nonconformist chapels and burials grounds of Harwich, Dovercourt and Ramsey in the hundred of Tendring and county of Essex Author: Bloom, J. Harvey (James Harvey), b.1860
Poorhouses & Poor Law
- County: Essex
- Civil Registration District: Tendring
- Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Colchester
- Diocese: Pre-1846 – London, Post-1845 – Rochester
- Rural Deanery: Pre-1847 – Tendring, Post-1846 – Harwich
- Poor Law Union: Tendring
- Hundred: Tendring
- Province: Canterbury