Rainham is an Ancient Parish in the county of Essex.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1570
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1630; 1800
Nonconformists include: Baptist, Independent/Congregational, and Wesleyan Methodist.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
RAINHAM, a village and a parish in Romford district, Essex. The village stands on Ingerbury brook, 1¼ mile from its influx to the Thames, and on the London and Southend railway, 5 miles ESE of Barking; forms a considerable street; and has a station on the railway, a post-office under Romford, a bridge over the Ingerbury, and a quay at the brook’s mouth. The parish comprises 3,197 acres of land and 115 of water. Real property, £8,095. Pop., 924. Houses, 172. The property is divided among a few. R. Hall is the seat of Mrs. Irish. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £412. Patron, H. G. Crosse, Esq. The church is old, and has a Norman arch. There are a national school, and charities £10.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
The following records are available free online.
- County: Essex
- Civil Registration District: Romford
- Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Essex
- Diocese: Pre-1846 – London, Post-1845 – Rochester
- Rural Deanery: Chafford
- Poor Law Union: Romford
- Hundred: Chafford
- Province: Canterbury