Purleigh is an Ancient Parish in the county of Essex.
Alternative names: Purley
Other places in the parish include: How Green.
Parish church: All Saints
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1592
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1629
Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational
- East Hanningfield
- Cold Norton
- Latchingdon with Snoreham
- Maldon St Mary
- Woodham Mortimer
- Stow Maries
- South Fambridge
- Woodham Ferrers
- North Fambridge
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
PURLEIGH, or Purley, a village and a parish in Maldon district, Essex. The village stands 4½ miles S of Maldon r. station; and has a post-office under Maldon, and a fair on 15 June. The parish comprises 5,578 acres. Real property, £8,307; of which £36 are in fisheries. Pop. in 1851, 1,184; in 1861, 1,095. Houses, 252. The property is much subdivided. Howe-Green was a peculiar of the Archbishop of Canterbury. A police station is near Latchingdon. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester, and is annexed to the provostship of Oriel college, Oxford. Value, £1,141. The church stands on an eminence, with a fine view; and consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with embattled tower. A dissenting chapel is at Howe-Green; and there are an endowed school with £33 a year, and charities £9.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
PURLEIGH (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Maldon, hundred of Dengie, S. division of Essex, 4 miles (S. by W.) from Maldon; containing 1213 inhabitants. The parish consists of elevated ground commanding extensive and richly-diversified views over the surrounding country, and comprises 5481a. 1r. 16p., of which a tenth part is pasture, and about 123 acres are woodland. A fair is held on Whit-Tuesday. The living is a rectory, annexed to the Provostship of Oriel College, Oxford, and valued in the king's books at £25; net income of both offices, £1141. The church is large and handsome, with an embattled tower of flint and stone; and in the north aisle is a chapel formerly belonging to the Bourchier family, whose armorial bearings were painted in the window, in which there is still some stained glass. A school is partly supported by an endowment of £30 per annum.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
Civil Registration District: Maldon
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Essex
Diocese: Pre-1846 - London, Post-1845 - Rochester
Rural Deanery: Pre-1845 - Dengie, Post-1844 - Maldon
Poor Law Union: Maldon