Prittlewell is an Ancient Parish in the county of Essex.
Other places in the parish include: Middleton and Milton.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1645
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1800
Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational and Protestant Dissenters.
- Southend St John the Baptist
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
PRITTLEWELL, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in Rochford district, Essex. The village stands on the slope of a hill, 1 mile N of Southend r. station; is an ancient place, known in the time of Edward the Confessor; takes its name from a well situated at an ancient priory, and feeding several fish-ponds; consists of two streets, at right angles with each other; and has a post-office under Chelmsford, and a fair on 15 and 16 July. The parish contains also the town of Southend, and the hamlet of Milton; includes a part of Canvey island; and comprises 5,248 acres of land, and 6,045 of water. Real property, £17,392; of which £570 are in fisheries. Pop. in 1851, 2,462; in 1861, 3,427. Houses, 600. The manor, with P. Priory, belongs to D. R. Scratton, Esq. A Cluniac priory was founded here, in the time of Henry II., by R. Fitzswaine; went, at the dissolution, to the Audleys; and is partly preserved in the present cognominal mansion. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £365. Patron, the Bishop of Rochester. The church stands at the junction of the village's two streets, on the top of the hill; is later English; and has a lofty tower, which serves as a sea-mark. The p. curacy of Southend is a separate benefice. There are an endowed school with £23 a year, and charities £31. The sub-district contains also two other parishes. Acres, 18,089. Pop., 5,394. Houses, 982.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Vision of Britain historical maps
Civil Registration District: Rochford
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Essex
Diocese: Pre-1846 - London, Post-1845 - Rochester
Rural Deanery: Pre-1845 - Bocking, Post-1844 - Canewdon
Poor Law Union: Rochford