Pentlow is an Ancient Parish in the county of Essex.
Parish church: St. George
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1539
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1629; 1639; 1800
- Belchamp Otten
- Belchamp St Paul
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
PENTLOW, a parish in the district of Sudbury and county of Essex; on the river Stour, at the boundary with Suffolk, 5 miles N W of Sudbury r. station. Post-town, Sudbury. Acres, 1,847. Real property, £3,117. Pop., 397. Houses, 68. The property is divided among a few. An octagonal tower was erected, in 1859, by the Rev. E. Bull, to the memory of his father; is a fine structure, in the Tudor style; and commands an extensive panoramic view. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £550. Patron, the Rev. E-Bull. The church has an apse chancel and a round tower, and is good. Charities, £24.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
PENTLOW (St. George), a parish, in the union of Sudbury, hundred of Hinckford, N. division of Essex, 2¾ miles (E. by N.) from Clare; containing 364 inhabitants. This parish, which is partly bounded by the river Stort, is about seven miles in circumference; the surface is chiefly elevated, with some small tracts of low meadow land. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £12, and in the gift of the Rev. Edward Bull: the tithes have been commuted for £510, and the glebe comprises 27 acres. The church, situated on low ground, is partly Norman, and partly in the early English style, with an embattled tower of stone and flint; on the north side of the chancel is a sepulchral chapel belonging to the family of Kemp, in which is an elegant tomb with recumbent figures of Judge Kemp and his wife.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
Civil Registration District: Sudbury
Probate Court: Court of the Commissary of the Bishop of London (Essex and Hertfordshire Division)
Diocese: Pre-1846 - London, Post-1845 - Rochester
Rural Deanery: Pre-1845 - Hedingham, Post-1844 - Yeldham
Poor Law Union: Sudbury