Peldon is an Ancient Parish in the county of Essex.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1725
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1801
- Little Wigborough
- Layer de la Haye
- Great Wigborough
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
PELDON, a parish and a sub-district in Lexden district, Essex. The parish lies near Mersea Island, 4½ miles S W of Wivenhoe r. station, and 5½ S by W of Colchester; and has a post-office under Colchester. Acres, 2,186. Real property, £3,591. Pop., 501. Houses, 106 The property is much subdivided. P. Lodge is a chief residence. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £583. Patron, the Countess of Waldegrave. The church stands on an eminence, with commanding view; is later English, with a tower; and was restored in 1859, and then found to include remains of an early Norman church. There are a national school, and charities £20. The sub-district contains also ten other parishes. Acres, 22,769. Pop., 4,685. Houses, 997.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Lexden
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Colchester
Diocese: Pre-1846 - London, Post-1845 - Rochester
Rural Deanery: Pre-1847 - Lexden, Post-1846 - Mersea
Poor Law Union: Lexden and Winstree