Pebmarsh is an Ancient Parish in the county of Essex.
Parish church: St. John the Baptist
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1648
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1629; 1715; 1800
- Colne Engaine
- Little Maplestead
- White Colne
- Wickham St Paul
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
PEBMARSH, a village and a parish in Halstead district, Essex. The village stands on a small affluent of the river Colne, 3½ miles N E of Halstead r. station; is an ancient place; and has a post-office under Colchester. The parish comprises 2,023 acres. Real property, £3,869. Pop., 653. Houses, 146. The property is subdivided. The manor belongs to W. G. Puller, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £500. Patron, the Earl of Verulam. The church is old but good, and has a tower. There are a free school and charities £6.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
PEBMARSH (St. John the Baptist), a parish, in the union of Halsted, hundred of Hinckford, N. division of Essex, 4 miles (N. E. by E.) from Halsted; containing 614 inhabitants. The parish comprises 2024a. 2r. 27p., of which 1714 acres are arable, 157 meadow land, 90 wood, 26 in gardens, and 36 in roads; the soil is various, but chiefly fertile. The village is pleasantly situated, and intersected by a rivulet, near which a silk-factory has been erected, affording employment to about 300 persons; the straw-bonnet and lint manufactures are likewise carried on. A fair for toys is held on the 24th of June. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £10, and in the gift of the Earl of Verulam: the tithes have been commuted for £583, and there are 26½ acres of glebe. The church is a handsome edifice in the later English style, with a tower. Its revenues anciently belonged to the abbey at Clare, in Suffolk.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
Civil Registration District: Halstead
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Middlesex (Essex and Hertfordshire Division)
Diocese: Pre-1846 - London, Post-1845 - Rochester
Rural Deanery: Hedingham
Poor Law Union: Halstead