Pattiswick is an Ancient Parish in the county of Essex.
Parish church: St. Mary Magdalene
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1677
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1629
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
PATTISWICK, a parish in Braintree district, Essex; near the river Blackwater, 2½ miles WNW of Coggeshall, and 3¾ E by N of Braintree r. station. Post-town, Braintree. Acres, 1,297. Real property, £1,894. Pop., 324. Houses, 76. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to the Bishop of Rochester. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £340. Patron, the Bishop of Rochester. The church stands on a pleasant green, and was recently restored. There is a national school.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
PATTISWICK (St. Mary Magdalene), a parish, in the union of Braintree, Witham division of the hundred of Lexden, N. division of Essex, 5½ miles (N. W. by N.) from Kelvedon; containing 375 inhabitants. It comprises about 1250 acres, of which 1050 are arable, 140 pasture, and about 100 woodland. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Bishop of London: the tithes have been commuted for £900 payable to the rector, and £340 to the incumbent; the former has 57 acres, and the latter 3½ acres, of glebe. The church is a small edifice, with a shingled spire.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
Civil Registration District: Braintree
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Colchester
Diocese: Pre-1846 - London, Post-1845 - Rochester
Rural Deanery: Pre-1847 - Lexden, Post-1846 - Halstead
Poor Law Union: Braintree