Panfield is an Ancient Parish in the county of Essex.
Alternative names: Pantfield
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1569
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1629
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
PANFIELD, or Pantfield, a parish in Braintree district, Essex; near the river Pant, 2 miles NW by N of Braintree r. station. Post-town, Braintree. Acres, 1,475. Real property, £2,532. Pop., 308. Houses, 71. The property is much subdivided. Panfield Hall was built in 1546; and is a fine structure, with square tower and clustered chimneys. A Benedictine priory was built, about ½ a mile N of the church, in 1250; was a cell to Caen abbey in Normandy; came to the Crown in 1460; was given, at the dissolution, to Sir Giles Capel; and has left no remains. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £502. Patron, the Rev. E. J. Hill. The church, in the Perpendicular style, is a small handsome edifice, beautifully restored.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Vision of Britain historical maps
Civil Registration District: Braintree
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Middlesex (Essex and Hertfordshire Division)
Diocese: Pre-1846 - London, Post-1845 - Rochester
Rural Deanery: Hedingham
Poor Law Union: Braintree