Paglesham is an Ancient Parish in the county of Essex.
Other places in the parish include: East End.
Parish church: St. Peter
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1719
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1639; 1800
- Great Wakering
- Little Wakering
- Barling Magna
- Great Stambridge
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
PAGLESHAM, a village and a parish in Rochford district, Essex. The village stands 1½ mile W of the E end of Wallasea island, 4 NE by E of Rochford, and 7 NE by N of Southend r. station; and has a post-office under Chelmsford. The parish contains also the hamlet of East-End, and part of Wallasea island. Acres, 1,828; of which 150 are water. Real property, £2,949; of which £93 are in fisheries. Pop., 474. Houses, 92. The property is divided among a few. The manor was given in 1066, by Ingulf, to Westminster abbey. Oyster fishing is largely carried on; and there is a coast-guard station. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £560. Patron, the Bishop of Peterborough. The church consists of nave and chancel, with a tower. The rectory house was built in 1862. There are a national school, and charities £27.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
PAGLESHAM (St. Peter), a parish, in the union and hundred of Rochford, S. division of Essex, 4 miles (N. E. by E.) from Rochford; containing 436 inhabitants. This parish, which includes the western portion of Wallasea Island, is bounded on the north by the navigable river Crouch, and on the south by the Bromhill; and comprises by computation 1840 acres, of which about 1200 are arable, 400 pasture, 10 woodland, and 130 common or waste. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £26, and in the gift of the Bishop of London: the tithes have been commuted for £560; the glebe comprises 18 acres. The church is a small ancient edifice.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
Civil Registration District: Rochford
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Essex
Diocese: Pre-1846 - London, Post-1845 - Rochester
Rural Deanery: Pre-1845 - Rochford, Post-1844 - Canewdon
Poor Law Union: Rochford