Orsett is an Ancient Parish in the county of Essex.
Other places in the parish include: Crondon.
Parish church: St. Giles and All Saints
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1669
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1639; 1800
Nonconformists include: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Independent/Congregational, Roman Catholic, and Wesleyan Methodist.
- Stock Harvard
- West Hanningfield
- Little Thurrock
- Horndon on the Hill
- Great Baddow
- Grays Thurrock
- South Ockendon
- Chadwell St Mary
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
ORSETT, a village, a parish, a sub-district, and a district, in Essex. The village stands 2½ miles W of Stanford-le-Hope r. station, and 8½ S by E of Brentwood; is a seat of petty sessions; and has a post-office under Romford, and a police station. The parish comprises 4,134acres. Real property, £7,777. Pop., 1,531. Houses, 290. Most of the property, with Orsett Hall, belongs to R. B. W. Baker, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £820. Patron, the Bishop of Rochester. The church is old but good; and consists of double nave, and two chancels, with brick tower and spire. There are Independent and Wesleyan chapels, a literary institute, an endowed school, and charities £187. The workhouse of the district also is here; was built at a cost of £3,115; has accommodation for 200 persons; and, at the census of 1861, had 149 in-mates. The sub-district contains also the parishes of Bulphan, Horndon-on-the-Hill, Langdon, Fobbing, Corringham, Stanford-le-Hope, Mucking, East Tilbury, West Tilbury, and Chadwell, St. Mary. Acres, 29,615. Pop., 5,234. Houses, 1,003. The district comprehends also the sub-district of Grays, containing the parishes of Grays-Thurrock, Little Thurrock, West Thurrock, Aveley, Stifford, South Ockendon, and North Ockendon. Acres of the district, 45,597. Poor-rates in 1863, £5,526. Pop. in 1851, 10,642; in 1861, 11,595. Houses, 2,132. Marriages in 1663, 63; births, 438, of which 29 were illegitimate; deaths, 221, of which 87 were at ages under 5 years, and 6 at ages above 85. Marriages in the ten years 1851-60, 634; births, 3,865; deaths, 2,365. The places of worship, in 1851, were 15 of the Church of England, with 2,823 sittings; 4 of Independents, with 836 s.; 1 of Baptists, with 150 s.; 2 of Wesleyan Methodists, with 282 s.; 1 of Primitive Methodists, with 66 s.; 1 of Wesleyan Reformers, with 100 s.; and 1 undefined, with 22 attendants. The schools were 16 public day-schools, with 1,012 scholars; 17 private day-schools, with 339 s.; 21 Sunday schools, with 1,278 s.; and 2 evening schools for adults, with 15 s.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
ORSETT (St. Giles and All Saints), a parish, and the head of a union, in the hundred of Barstable, S. division of Essex, 18½ miles (S. S. W.) from Chelmsford; containing 1435 inhabitants. The parish comprises 4136 acres, the soil of which in the northern part is heavy and swampy, but in the middle lighter; 237 acres are common or waste. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £29. 6. 8., and in the gift of the Bishop of London: the tithes have been commuted for £1225, and there is a glebe-house, with 10 acres of land. The church is large and handsome, and contains some very beautiful monuments to the Baker family. Here is an endowed school, founded by Edward Anson, Esq., and now in connexion with the National Society. The poor have considerable bequests in land. The union of Orsett comprises eighteen parishes or places, and contains a population of 10,157. In the neighbourhood are vestiges of ancient intrenchments, inclosing four or five acres.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
Civil Registration District: Orsett
Probate Court: Court of the Commissary of the Bishop of London (Essex and Hertfordshire Division)
Diocese: Pre-1846 - London, Post-1845 - Rochester
Rural Deanery: Pre-1845 - Barstable, Post-1844 - Orsett
Poor Law Union: Orsett