Moulsham is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Essex, created in 1838 from Chelmsford Ancient Parish.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1837
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1849
Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational, Irvingite/Catholic Apostolic Church, Roman Catholic, and Strict Baptist.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
MOULSHAM, a hamlet and a chapelry in Chelmsford parish, Essex. The hamlet lies on the right bank of the river Chelmer, immediately suburban to Chelmsford town; and is populous. The manor belonged anciently to the Crown; was given to Westminster abbey; and went, at the dissolution, to the family of Mildmay. Moulsham Hall was rebuilt. for Earl Fitzwalter, by Leoni; is now the seat of Sir H. B. P. St. John Mildmay, Bart.; and contains some interesting portraits, including one of the founders of Emmanuel college, Cambridge. A small Dominican priory stood on the spot still called the Friars. Some Roman relics were found in 1850. The chapelry was constituted in 1838. Post town, Chelmsford. Pop. in 1861,4,229. Houses, 865. The living is a p. cnracy in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £290. Patron, the Rector of Chelmsford. The church was built in 1841, at a cost of about £2,500; and is in the early English style, with a bell-turret.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Search Results for FamilySearch Catalog
England, Essex, Moulsham – Cemeteries ( 1 )
Monumental inscriptions at St. John the Evangelist, Moulsham, Chelmsford; 1837-1992 : 191 inscriptions including war memorial
Author: Essex Society for Family History
England, Essex, Moulsham – Church records ( 2 )
Bishop’s transcripts for Chelmsford, 1800-1869
Author: Church of England. Parish Church of Chelmsford (Essex)
Bishop’s transcripts for Moulsham, 1849-1869
Author: Church of England. Chapelry of Moulsham (Essex)
England, Essex, Moulsham – Taxation ( 1 )
Moulsham land tax assessments, 1781-1832
Author: Great Britain. Court of Quarter Sessions of the Peace (Essex)
- County: Essex
- Civil Registration District: Chelmsford
- Probate Court: Court of the Commissary of the Bishop of London (London Division)
- Diocese: Pre-1846 – London, Post-1845 – Rochester
- Rural Deanery: Chelmsford
- Poor Law Union: Chelmsford
- Hundred: Chelmsford
- Province: Canterbury